X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Debunking myths about pit bulls?

Maybe better for a another Forum.

But this is the skepticism Forum right?

Well I'm highly skeptical about this notion that Pit Bulls are innately violent.
    You see cities putting bans or considering bans on the American Pit Bull Terrier.
    So I'm looking to debunk this Bullshit idea.

Anyone know any good sources for on Pit Bulls aswell as any sources for the alternate side of the debate. I'm trying to address specifically the issue of banning Pit Bulls.

Source: Your local pitbull owner.

Information he holds: He's a dumbass. That's the reason his dogs are fucked up.

Comment

http://www.cdc.gov/ncipc/duip/dogbreeds.pdf
      -Statistics for bites/deaths/attacks by breed. Center for Disease Control...doesn't get more official than that.

http://www.associatedcontent.com/art...at_or_pet.html
      -Random article with some interesting points.

http://www.pitbullsontheweb.com/petb...s/petunia.html
      -Another viewpoint illustrating some of the logic behind Pit Bull breeding.

---

Definitely a hard call.

Of course, you need to keep the following in mind:

1. All animals are hunters and killers at heart. I've been torn to shit by harmless, purr-box lapcats because something set them off.

2. Humans are by far the most disgusting breed of animal out there, and humans are capable of turning ANYTHING into a vicious killing machine.
      Originally posted by Exodus
      Helio was submitted by Kimura

Comment

These are the two best sites i've found.

http://www.trupitbull.com/
        http://www.pitbulllovers.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Poop Loops
          Source: Your local pitbull owner.

Information he holds: He's a dumbass. That's the reason his dogs are fucked up.
          Are you still carrying a grudge about that time my pit bull ate your Pekinese and shit its collar on your lawn, girlie man?

Comment

From my conversations with two dog trainers who specialized in this breed, a pit bull will strive to become the animal that its owner wants more then other breeds. Additionally because of its physical attributes, if you get an idiot owner you will produce a dog which will have the ability to do a lot of damage in comparison to a yippie dog. However that said I think the breed gets a bad rap, assuming the dog has not already been trained how to fight.

Comment

Pitbulls are paying the price for humans being so damn stupid.

That having been said, they're a stupid choice of pet, stupid choice of weapon, and stupid choice of guard dog.

No need for the breed.
              Optional signature you may use to appear at bottom of your posts.

Comment

There was a true story last year of a man in Canada on a camping trip when a bear snuck up on him. His Pit Bull put itself between hem and the bear.

When the bear jumped on the pitbull he bulled out his hunting knife and killed the bear.

Dog loves owner enough put itself between him and the bear. owner loves dog enough to jump on the bear and stab it to death.

I love my Shi Tsu's but the would be running for the hills if they saw a bear.

Pit Bulls can be amazing

People suck

Comment

i like pitbulls, have met some real sweet ones. But I also volunteer at the animal shelter and *all* the pits have a "DOG AGGRESSIVE" warning sign to let walkers know to keep them away from other animals. It's pretty rare for other breeds at the shelter I work at to be sporting a "dog aggressive" warning but it's on every single pit.

Just something to keep in mind.

Comment

Originally posted by Vince Tortelli
                    Are you still carrying a grudge about that time my pit bull ate your Pekinese and shit its collar on your lawn, girlie man?
                    I have a boxer, actually.

Comment

Boxers are great. A bit on the 'jumpy' side when young, though.
                      Optional signature you may use to appear at bottom of your posts.

Comment

I have a female pit bull. When my wife and I argue, she gets scared and hides in the corner. When a stranger comes into our house, even when we arent there, she picks up a shoe and gives it to the person. She's 10 years old and has never bit anyone.

I'd like to hear someone say the same about those rat-looking little mini-pinchers.

AAAAAWWWWW, CUUUUUUUUUTE!!! Ladybird, halloween.
                        Last edited by Frank White; 12/10/2007 12:35am, .

Comment

My dog is a coward. I was walking him the other day, walked next to some house where a guy was doing something next to his car. The guy moves, and my dog just freezes. I mean, hair on the back raised and dead like a rock. I smile to the guy and say "Hi." he smiles back and walks away, dog slips out of the collar and runs back home*, which was only like 20ft away.

*I have the collar loose. The only reason I have him on a leash is so he feels safe when he's outside with me. When we get to the local school field, I let him loose and he always obeys me. Dog walking by, desperately trying to get to him, my dog knows he's not supposed to so he just stays there. I don't know why he's so well-behaved. Nobody really did anything. Never bothers us at dinner, but he'll bark a lot at strangers. That's good, though. I doubt he'd ever bite anybody.

Comment

I know it not exactly the same but I have a bull terrier and I've had no issues with aggression. He like everybody, especially children, and people are always telling me what a great personality he has. He also graduated at the top of his class for dog obedience.
                            I see American Pitbull terriers all the time. APBT are probably one of the more common dogs in the area of Georgia I live in. People over here love feral hog hunting so it makes sense. Hell if I drive a few miles south of here into the boonies its pretty uncommon to see farm houses without a pitbull terrier.
                            The only thing I've seen with them being aggressive is around unfamiliar dogs. Since they were bred to be dog aggressive you can't really fault them for being that way. Lots of dog are dog-aggressive though. Hell Jack Russell Terriers are probably the most aggressive and viscous dog you can get, but people don't complain about them because they only weigh 15 lbs.

Comment

It's important to note that even very convincing statistics on a breed can have a selection bias - the more a dog is used as a guard or attack animal, the more it will register statistically as a biter.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X