Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

weight training = less flexibility = stiffness?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

weight training = less flexibility = stiffness?

I've recently started up again on Kung-fu (baji quan)
    My sifu mentioned the other day that continuing my weight training routines would ultimately make my progress in Kung-fu much slower, in other words "unprogressive"...This is because he noticed that i would tend to tighten up more instead of relax and that i'm less flexible in my upper body!!! I guess perhaps i'm having a problem with relaxation??? or could it really be the lifting that's leading me to being unrelaxed and tense?? maybe i should just stretch a lot more after doing weights...or maybe i should cut back or even stop for the meanwhile? or maybe "relaxation" will just come in due time? what do you all think?
    Put your hand on a hot stove for a minute, and it seems like an hour. Sit with a pretty girl for an hour, and it seems like a minute. That's relativity.
    -Albert Einstein

yes body building can retard flexability, but i think in small increments to increase power itd be ok, but every art has conditioning methods that are built to suit it.
    CLICK THE ADDS ROMO!

This chapter will also show clips from a high-speed video in which Master Bristol conceals a Swiss Army Knife inside his buttocks. -from "The Magicians Code" by Hans Bristol

Comment

No .

This is Complete , and Utter Horseshit usually Repeated by people that have NO (or very Poor) Lifting Experience .

Dont Stretch RIGHT WHEN you lift (Before , OR after) Give yourself at least 3 hours in between , make it its own Seperate Activity . You are asking your Muscles to do two COMPLETELY different things . Its like putting a Glass in the Oven , and then in the Freezer . It WILL Shatter .

The Idea that Weight Training makes you "Slower" or less Flexible comes from the fact that MANY (not ALL) ppl that have Massive Mscular Power rely on it to the point of exclusivity . They think that they dont need any other kind of Training . But they are no more Slow , and no less Flexible than my Pot-Smoking cousins that have NO Muscles . Anyone that dosent Stretch will be Tight .

In fact , Weight Training teaches you to RELAX your muscles as much as it does to Contract them . When you become VERY good at Weightlifting , you have to learn to "Quiet" ALL other muscles , and Isolate your Focus ONLY into the one that you are working in an Attempt to Stimulate it . This Ability is often Referred to as : "The Mind-Muscle Connection" , and is VERY Much like what I do when Im doing San Ti , or moving through the Elements in my new Xingyi class .

Comment

BULLSHIT!!!!!

First of Weight training will NOT make you slower and inflexible. YOUR POOR TRAINING WILL.

When you lift you should work the full ROM (Range Of Motion) of the muscle. I am a avid weight trainer and I am the FASTEST guy on my Boxing and wrestling team and in my Kyokushin group. So you instructor is talking utter bullocks.

Streching requlary keeps your flexiblity regardless of what you do.

Ask you instructor this. If weight traing was so bad then WHY did the Chinese use alot of STONE WEIGHTS?

Here is a good BAJI! training tip for you. Get you a HEAVY medicine ball and carry it at TANTIEN while practicing Bear Walk.
        ______
        Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

RIP SOLDIER

Didn't anyone ever tell him a fat man could never be a ninja
        -Gene, GODHAND

You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
        The key to fighting two men at once is to be much tougher than both of them.
        -Daniel Tosh

Comment

thanks! i'll try that asia! HAHA it's not like the bearwalk kills you enough after a while. So then you all say i should continue my weight training then? thanks for the advice/s.
          Put your hand on a hot stove for a minute, and it seems like an hour. Sit with a pretty girl for an hour, and it seems like a minute. That's relativity.
          -Albert Einstein

Comment

The only way weight training will adversley affect your MA, is if you become over dependeant on your strength.
            When you start to "muscle" techniques.
            You can only loss flexibilty if you STOP working on flexibility.
            Realise that what you are doing is strength training and NOT body building.
            If you become "overly" bulky, yes that will affect your speed and technique, but increasing your strength is a staple of ALL martial arts, chinese, okinanwan, indian, you name it.

Comment

I hate that nonsense.
              Normally, I'd say I was grappling, but I was taking down and mounting people, and JFS has kindly informed us that takedowns and being mounted are neither grappling nor anti grappling, so I'm not sure what the fuck I was doing. Maybe schroedinger's sparring, where it's neither grappling nor anti-grappling until somoene observes it and collapses the waveform, and then I RNC a cat to death.----fatherdog

Comment

Even boxing coaches still perpetuate that bullshit.

Stretch and you'll be fine.

Comment

Well, I have little to add except my agreement to the posts above.

I found that I became lazy after weight training and didn't want to stretch post-workout (which actually helps flexibility and encourages growth.) That was the only reason why I lost a slight bit of flexibility. Just stretch well after workout and other times and you will be fine.
                  Surfing Facebook at work? Spread the good word by adding us on Facebook today! https://www.facebook.com/Bullshido

https://www.instagram.com/bullshido/

Comment

Piz :

To Quote myself ...

Dont Stretch RIGHT WHEN you lift (Before , OR after) Give yourself at least 3 hours in between , make it its own Seperate Activity . You are asking your Muscles to do two COMPLETELY different things . Its like putting a Glass in the Oven , and then in the Freezer . It WILL Shatter .

Comment

My sifu mentioned the other day that continuing my weight training routines would ultimately make my progress in Kung-fu much slower, in other words "unprogressive"...
                      :D
                      "Training = pain." - I said that.

PizDoff when drunk: "I'm actually MOST pissed that my target for the evening got drink...then I gave her my Bullshido Canada hoodie like a gentleman because she was outside with not much on...did I mention she barfed twice when I got our jackets...steaming barf is kinda fascinating..." - PizDoff.

Comment

Originally posted by Djimbe
                        Piz :

To Quote myself ...
                        Actually Djimbe I found your post confusing and hard to read.
                        Feel free to clarify though.

I've always read that stretching RIGHT AFTER working out helps to promote flexibility and muscle growth. It also promotes blood flow to help remove the buildup of lactic acid.
                        Surfing Facebook at work? Spread the good word by adding us on Facebook today! https://www.facebook.com/Bullshido

https://www.instagram.com/bullshido/

Comment

It is interesting the old myth of weight training decreases flexibility still exists. Especially when you consider the fact that weight training can also increase flexibility when a full range of motion is done on each exercise.

As far as stretching after your work out, I am not sure that it is necessary. However, stretching should be done before your workout, after a vigorous warm up to prepare the muscles. Also, stretching serveral times during the day will also help out alot in increasing your flexibility.
                          Knowing it is not enough, we must apply.
                          Willing is not enough, we must do.

Never approach a Bull from the front, a Horse from the rear, or a Fool from any direction!

He who dares not offend cannot be honest. -- Thomas Payne

Comment

Originally posted by PizDoff
                            What is it that you are Confused by ? "No" ? "Three Hours" ? the concept of asking your Muscles to do the exact Opposite things in Immediuate Succession without any Rest period ? I spoke in pretty Plain language and used layman's terms .

I've always read that stretching RIGHT AFTER working out helps to promote flexibility and muscle growth. It also promotes blood flow to help remove the buildup of lactic acid.
                            thats far better Accomplished by some Light-Medium Cardio , and a LOT of Hydration .

Comment

You've got to be kidding!

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X