Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Stupid People Being Suckered in by Religion: Negative Correlation With Intelligence

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It seems like you derail your entire argument by admitting agnosticism. You can't be borderline anything as an Atheist, as atheism is the flat out denial of any god figure.

The fact that you'd admit most high IQ people are agnostic, which is accepting the possibility of a god figure exists but a way to quantify or obectively identify the exact boundries of god has yet to be found, shows that they are willing to believe in a god figure, whichever you pick.

The fact that they don't necessarily pick a specific god that they can or cannot prove does not have any correlation to the intellect of those that do. In science, that highly intellectual field, hypothesi must be made based on some amount of evidence and an idea for progression, an end state. The fact that the hypothesis has yet to be proven or disproven does not negate it, or make the question any less intellegent.

Comment

Originally posted by taijiamn
      It seems like you derail your entire argument by admitting agnosticism. You can't be borderline anything as an Atheist, as atheism is the flat out denial of any god figure.
      Wrong. You're not denying anything. You just don't see any reason why there would be a god and don't worship any.

Comment

Originally posted by Amp
        There is a negative correlation between religiousity and intelligence. There is a positive correlation between atheism/ agnosticism and intelligence.

As intelligence goes up, religiousity goes down.
        As intelligence goes down, religiousity goes up.

At the average IQ of 98 for America, over 90% of people are religious.

All Americans considered, 90% of Americans are religious and 10% are atheist.

At the higher intelligence range of IQs 140+, the roles are reversed 10% of Americans are religious and 90% are atheist/ agnostic.

I found a really good quotation on that site that summarizes my thoughts perfectly:

"Religion is a set of logical and factual claims, and those with the most logic and facts at their disposal are rejecting it largely on those grounds."

Mentally disadvantaged people have a hard time realizing that and viewing religion that way. I'm not saying all religious people are stupid because they obviously aren't (though most are) and many are more intelligent than me. However, they're looking at religion the same way that a retarded person would look at other things in life. It's a psychological phenomenon called compartmentalization. Compartmentalization is when even though you may be intelligent, you choose not to apply that intelligence to certain problems.

The way this makes sense to me is the same way it should make sense to anyone in that there is probably a negative correlation between intelligence and people who believe Alice in Wonderland to be real truth. Or a negative correlation between intelligence and people who believe in the tooth fairy. Etc.

http://kspark.kaist.ac.kr/Jesus/Inte...20religion.htm

The above link is a large, conclusive compilation of 43 different independent scientific studies that all prove the same correlation of low IQ and religious belief.
        You're doing an injustice to atheism to write this up.

I'm an idiot and a fool. I don't know what my IQ is, and it's probably pretty low. But I do know that if you're the average atheist, as I've seen them around my university and in my town, I don't want anything to do with them.

Fine, you don't believe in any gods. Good for you. That's your personal religion, not everyone elses. Intelligence doesn't count for as much as you say it does.

Comment

I have a foolproof way to which of the two groups, (atheists and religous people) are bigger idiots. Amp, do you consider yourself an atheist or a religous person?

Comment

Originally posted by Vince Tortelli
            I have a foolproof way to which of the two groups, (atheists and religous people) are bigger idiots. Amp, do you consider yourself an atheist or a religous person?
            I can top that. Dr Tsun Tzu, do you consider yourself an atheist or a religious person?

Comment

One needs only to look at Amp's posts to know that Amp is retarded. Therefore, by his own argument, he is most likely religious; I'd wager he is part of a sect that uses idiotic trolling as a form of prayer.

Comment

More intelligent people are more likely to be atheist, but it doesn't follow that being an atheist is a sign of intelligence.

Comment

Originally posted by HappyOldGuy
                  Class and background play a big part in it also.
                  Yes. Hence the old saying "the devil is in the demographics".

Comment

More intelligent people just put their faith in the "The State", which is as equally sadistic and cold as the god of most religions. Well except for hinduism.

Comment

Has anyone seen that "angry religious" mom clip on youtube?
                      I think it was from that show were they switch wives or something...
                      At least that clip can show how stupid religious people can be.

Why believe in God when there clearly is none? >_>

Dawkins is teh MAN!! > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mmskXXetcg

Comment

What? I'm right here.

Comment

Correlation does not = cause and effect.

Comment

Surely in the mind of one who belives in God, He exists. So attempts to rationally argue that he doesn't will fall on deaf ears, because in their universe His existence is an absolute certainty.

Many people, myself included, belive in atoms. but I do not own an electron microscope. I belive it because I read it in a book, and my teachers told me it was true. Funny that.

Comment

Originally posted by Amp
                              There is a negative correlation between religiousity and intelligence. There is a positive correlation between atheism/ agnosticism and intelligence.

As intelligence goes up, religiousity goes down.
                              As intelligence goes down, religiousity goes up.

At the average IQ of 98 for America, over 90% of people are religious.

All Americans considered, 90% of Americans are religious and 10% are atheist.

At the higher intelligence range of IQs 140+, the roles are reversed 10% of Americans are religious and 90% are atheist/ agnostic.

I found a really good quotation on that site that summarizes my thoughts perfectly:

"Religion is a set of logical and factual claims, and those with the most logic and facts at their disposal are rejecting it largely on those grounds."

Mentally disadvantaged people have a hard time realizing that and viewing religion that way. I'm not saying all religious people are stupid because they obviously aren't (though most are) and many are more intelligent than me. However, they're looking at religion the same way that a retarded person would look at other things in life. It's a psychological phenomenon called compartmentalization. Compartmentalization is when even though you may be intelligent, you choose not to apply that intelligence to certain problems.

The way this makes sense to me is the same way it should make sense to anyone in that there is probably a negative correlation between intelligence and people who believe Alice in Wonderland to be real truth. Or a negative correlation between intelligence and people who believe in the tooth fairy. Etc.

http://kspark.kaist.ac.kr/Jesus/Inte...20religion.htm

The above link is a large, conclusive compilation of 43 different independent scientific studies that all prove the same correlation of low IQ and religious belief.
                              God, deliver us from this troll.

Comment

Blah, blah. Amp, answer the fucking questions in the other thread (People see my sig and see Amp's outbursts of "intellugenzdze".)

As for the original topic, it's retarded. It makes more sense to claim that people with a higher level of education (who are not necessarily the most intelligent) tend to be the most pragmatic, skeptical or rational.

Religion is not a matter of rationality or fact. It's a matter of faith which comes independently of whether you are intelligent or a dumbass. I've met quite a few intelligent people, religious and atheist, and quite a few dumb asses on both sides of the fence. Besides, arguments like this tend to have a hidden agenda anyways.

And Amp is gay and does dim mak tkd e-cage fighting.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                                X