Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Stupid People Being Suckered in by Religion: Negative Correlation With Intelligence

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stupid People Being Suckered in by Religion: Negative Correlation With Intelligence

There is a negative correlation between religiousity and intelligence. There is a positive correlation between atheism/ agnosticism and intelligence.

As intelligence goes up, religiousity goes down.
    As intelligence goes down, religiousity goes up.

At the average IQ of 98 for America, over 90% of people are religious.

All Americans considered, 90% of Americans are religious and 10% are atheist.

At the higher intelligence range of IQs 140+, the roles are reversed 10% of Americans are religious and 90% are atheist/ agnostic.

I found a really good quotation on that site that summarizes my thoughts perfectly:

"Religion is a set of logical and factual claims, and those with the most logic and facts at their disposal are rejecting it largely on those grounds."

Mentally disadvantaged people have a hard time realizing that and viewing religion that way. I'm not saying all religious people are stupid because they obviously aren't (though most are) and many are more intelligent than me. However, they're looking at religion the same way that a retarded person would look at other things in life. It's a psychological phenomenon called compartmentalization. Compartmentalization is when even though you may be intelligent, you choose not to apply that intelligence to certain problems.

The way this makes sense to me is the same way it should make sense to anyone in that there is probably a negative correlation between intelligence and people who believe Alice in Wonderland to be real truth. Or a negative correlation between intelligence and people who believe in the tooth fairy. Etc.

http://kspark.kaist.ac.kr/Jesus/Inte...20religion.htm

The above link is a large, conclusive compilation of 43 different independent scientific studies that all prove the same correlation of low IQ and religious belief.

A) you confuse "average intelligence" with "mentally disadvantaged".
    B) the most recent study was 27 years old
    C) I find it amusing that the recent polls were relating to just hard scientists. how about folks in the social sciences and humanities?

Comment

The correlation is there, but it is nowhere near as clear cut as you are making it out. First of all it is not linear. Also, it is much better correlated with the subject of study and the amount of school, which are in turn correlated with intelligence. I.e., smarter students are more likely to be in the sciences or to receive graduate degrees, which are both independently correlated with a lack of religious belief. Class and background play a big part in it also.

Comment

I disagree that "smarter students" are more likely to be in the sciences. They're just as likely to be in the humanities and receive grad degrees.

Comment

In my experience through Univ (I'm a Biology major by the way. and yes I'm minimally/moderately religious)

There are just as many arrogant, morally superior, stupid athiests as there are religious individuals.

Stupidity isn't limited to any one race, class, or way of thinking.
          Your OP proves my point.
          I think all of AMP's posts should be considered trolls
          now that we know he's pretty much a joke/fraud.
          and someone remove BJJ from his background
          he has no real BJJ training. put GAY TKD in big bold letters.

Comment

calling him a "gay tkd"er is an insult to gay tkd stylists everywhere.

Comment

Actually, I think Richard Dawkins describes this correlation in his book, The God Delusion.

Comment

Originally posted by krazy kaju
                Actually, I think Richard Dawkins describes this correlation in his book, The God Delusion.
                and once again for the mentally impaired.

correlation does not equal causation.

Comment

Originally posted by variance
                  and once again for the mentally impaired.

correlation does not equal causation.
                  '

I never claimed that "stupid" people (I don't know how the OP could call so many average and above average IQ persons "stupid") believe in religion because they're stupid.

I merely mentioned that Dawkins discusses the odd occurence of less intelligent people believing in religion more.

There are probably many factors besides intelligence - the way you were raised, what your cultural background is, etc.

However, the truth is that strong correlations do indicate something about the cause.

Comment

'

I never claimed that "stupid" people (I don't know how the OP could call so many average and above average IQ persons "stupid") believe in religion because they're stupid.

I merely mentioned that Dawkins discusses the odd occurence of less intelligent people believing in religion more.

There are probably many factors besides intelligence - the way you were raised, what your cultural background is, etc.

However, the truth is that strong correlations do indicate something about the cause.
                    Something not being the same thing as being the source of the cause.
                    meaning as desparately and as tenuous as you(and that morally/intelligently superior hack dawkins) try to link religion and lack of intelligence.

it won't work.

You can put syrup on shit
                    that don't make them pancakes.

Now religous people might have a high number in a sample population of low IQ individuals but that could easily be explained by the fact that the majority of the population in the world is religious in some way or another.

If the majority of the population was athiest. that would ruin your statistical correlation.
                    trending it the opposite way.

I wish athiests woud stop circle jerking their athiest uber-super intelligent nuts off to stupid shit like this.

Athiests are like the Vegans of religion.
                    Fundamentalist nuts.
                    If you are a truly hardcore reasonable pure evidence based scientific method guy.
                    You will at best be agnostic.

Comment

Something not being the same thing as being the source of the cause.
                      meaning as desparately and as tenuous as you(and that morally/intelligently superior hack dawkins) try to link religion and lack of intelligence.

it won't work.

You can put syrup on shit
                      that don't make them pancakes.
                      If there was a strong correlation of people putting syrup on shit, it means that for whatever reasons, people put syrup on shit.

Now, if we examine closer, it might turn out that if people put syrup on their dog's shit, the shit doesn't smell that bad, or maybe people eat shit and syrup enchances the taste of shit.

Now, if a disproportionate amount of high IQ people put syrup on their shit, it could mean something entirely different. Do high IQ people put syrup on their shit because they realize it will enchance the taste, while low IQ people fail to realize this, and just eat the shit plain?

This is the kind of correlation we find here: high IQ people are disproportionately atheist compared to the rest of the population. Why is this? This is what we're trying to determine. The correlation is already pretty well known.

In any case, putting syrup on your shit doesn't make it a pancake. That just shows how little you know about the situation at hand that we're discussing.

Now religous people might have a high number in a sample population of low IQ individuals but that could easily be explained by the fact that the majority of the population in the world is religious in some way or another.
                      O RLY?

The correlation here is that an extremely disproportionate amount of atheists form the top of society.

When several studies show that the majority of upper society members are atheists, while the majority of the 'average' population is not, the correlation is too strong to simply dismiss.

If the majority of the population was athiest. that would ruin your statistical correlation.
                      trending it the opposite way.
                      No it wouldn't.

Let's say that the majority of the population is atheist. However, if on average, atheists score well above nonatheists on an assortment of intelligence tests, we could conclude that the average atheist is more intelligent than the average nonatheist.

Likewise, if the bottom of society was disproportionately religious (say, 90%), while the rest of society was majority atheist, it would also show us the exact same results.

You would reverse the correlation if religious people formed the top tier of society disproportionately, where atheists would be underrepresented.

For example, let's say that religious people form 80% of the population while atheists form 20% (I know, unrealistic). If 97% of the top 20% of the population were religious, and the rest of society was disproportionately irreligious, we'd know that for some reason religous people are smarter. We could assume that maybe this is because religious belief requires a certain level of intellect.

There would be no correlation if the atheists (who, in my example are 20%) would be equally distributed throughout society (meaning 20% lower, 20% middle, and 20% upper society are atheist). There would be a weak correlation, positive or negative, if atheists were overrepresented in one area, but not by much (say 25% of lower class citizens would be atheist - that'd be a rather weak correlation).

The truth is, however, different. In our society, atheists barely form 10% of our population (correct me if I'm wrong). If there was no correlation between atheism and intelligence, then every IQ range would have to consist of 10% atheists. In reality, atheists form a majority of the upper classes (highest IQ ranges) and a small, small, tiny minority in the lower classes (the low IQ ranges), or at least this is what Dawkins claimed.

I do not have the statistics on hand, so I won't claim that this correlation is necessarily true. But I can say, from experience, that atheists seem to be mainly upper class. And reason would say that upper class people are generally more intelligent, meaning that a higher percentage of the atheist population is more intelligent.

I wish athiests woud stop circle jerking their athiest uber-super intelligent nuts off to stupid shit like this.

Athiests are like the Vegans of religion.
                      Fundamentalist nuts.
                      If you are a truly hardcore reasonable pure evidence based scientific method guy.
                      You will at best be agnostic.
                      A lot atheists are really borderline agnostics, like myself.

Even Dawkins, who you seem to hate with a passion, admits that it is really impossible to be an atheist if your are objective. However, being an agnostic in this context is really like being an atheist anyways - Yahweh, Jehova, Allah, Thor, Zeus, Venus, Aries, The Flying Spaghetti Monster, Mithra, and many thousands of other gods have the exact same chance of existing. Near nil.

Only because you met a couple of those liberal wanabes who don't know what the fuck they're saying doesn't mean that you have the right to stereotype all atheists.

Comment

blah blah blah
                        Once again. I'm not disputing correlation
                        I'm disputing attribution to causation which is intellectually dishonest.

NO MATTER HOW YOU TWIST IT.
                        CORRELATION DOES NOT INDICATE CAUSATION.

It might lead to insights on a sociological basis (socialeconomic background, educational background) but

religion alone is not significant nor noteworthy trait to indicate intelligence or lack thereof.
                        That's it.
                        Period.

Being religious does not automatically

and by the same merit.
                        Just because there are so many vocal notjub fundamentalist evangicals
                        gives athiests such as yourself the right to stereotype all religous people disingenously as unintelligent.

Consequently it's counterproductive to decry and denigrate people based on their belief system. On both sides. level-headed christians and agnostics/athiests are rather apathetic to who believes what. Only the nutjob idiots on both sides are the ones who screamed "you are damned and destroying our society" or "Religion is a societal evil"

and if the majority of the world was athiest.
                        it would skew your projections the other way because if stupid is defined as below normal or ignorant or uneducated those would ruin your little grade curve.
                        you can't cherry pick your arguments like that.

Comment

religion alone is not significant nor noteworthy trait to indicate intelligence or lack thereof.
                          That's it.
                          Period.
                          Maybe not determine, but definately indicate.

Comment

Once again. I'm not disputing correlation
                            I'm disputing attribution to causation which is intellectually dishonest.

NO MATTER HOW YOU TWIST IT.
                            CORRELATION DOES NOT INDICATE CAUSATION.

It might lead to insights on a sociological basis (socialeconomic background, educational background) but

That's it.
                            Period.
                            I never said that "religion alone is significant or noteworthy trait that indicates intelligence or lack thereof."

I said that it seems like the average atheist is more intelligent than the average religious person in America. Considering that the average IQ score in America is 100, and that the atheists are primarily found in groups that score above-average (i.e. rich people), it would follow that the average atheist would be smarter than the average religious person.

I never said that there aren't any extremely intelligent religious people... or that there aren't any extremely dumbass atheists.

There are people on both sides.

Being religious does not automatically

and by the same merit.
                            Just because there are so many vocal notjub fundamentalist evangicals
                            gives athiests such as yourself the right to stereotype all religous people disingenously as unintelligent.

Consequently it's counterproductive to decry and denigrate people based on their belief system. On both sides. level-headed christians and agnostics/athiests are rather apathetic to who believes what. Only the nutjob idiots on both sides are the ones who screamed "you are damned and destroying our society" or "Religion is a societal evil"
                            Again, I never stated anything like that.

I said that it would seem that the average atheist is more intelligent than the average religious person.

Big whoop.

Did I speculate as to why?

Why yes I did! I said that it could be something to do with cultural backgrounds and individual upbringing (i.e. nonreligious people are usually brought up to be more of a skeptic).

and if the majority of the world was athiest.
                            it would skew your projections the other way because if stupid is defined as below normal or ignorant or uneducated those would ruin your little grade curve.
                            If the majority of the world was atheist, it wouldn't necessarily skew the statistics.

Say, for example, that 60% of the world was atheist. But if 90% of the upper class was atheist, it would indicate that the average atheist is more intelligent than the average religious person.

It's all about where the emphasis falls on the bell curve.

you can't cherry pick your arguments like that.
                            Interesting that you say that, I'm not cherry picking jack shit.

You're not reading my posts and using argument I've already responded to previously.

Comment

Maybe the average of all religious people is dumber than the average of all non-religious, but not individually. I've had several friends who were atheists and dumbasses.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X