Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

4 SIDES AND 4 CORNERS

i am sure this has been done before.

what systems are best for defending against multiple attackers. best to keep the initial consideration to an unarmed context.

i feel that these are required aspects(at least theorectically).

1) you must displace effectively and continuously.
    2) you must evade/counter simoultaneously
    3) you must have 'patterns' of movement that affect multiple opponent's with one action.
    4)

these are my choices:

1)aikido/aikijutsu
    2)pakuachang
    3)taichichaun
    4)systema(i really dont know much about it, but it sounds like it qualifies...

i have chosen these particular arts because they all use two basic concepts i find to be very important:

- a moving target is harder to hit

- a spinning ball deflects objects

these methods can be used to create the 'domino effect' with multiple attackers. their emphasis on footwork helps you to develop the ability to move into advantageous lanes.

peace.

<marquee>REDANTKUNTAO</marquee>
    <marquee> INDONESIAN GUNG FU</marquee>

Top Spin.

Our horse is too dead, our jockey's too big, our trainer's too old, and I'm too dumb to know the difference!
    Captain's Log: Just a little update for all my TRUE and HONEST friends out there:

1) I am STRAIGHT! I am STRAIGHT! Get it through your thick skulls, numbskulls!

2) My name is not Ian Brandon Something.

3) Kacey is coming with me now. I have stolen her from the other Christian Weston Chandler.

REMINDER: I am still the one and only true creator of sonichu and rosechu electric hedgehog pokemon

Comment

Well, if you factor in the positronic effect that the neuro-converters would have on the multiple-assailant dynamic, the it becomes axiomatic that a revolving sphere, much like a baseball, HAS NOTHING TO FUCKING DO WITH MARTIAL ARTS!

Comment

Many of the most impressive looking Budo Taijutsu demos involve tying groups of attackers into knots. BBT (it seems to me anyway)is based on displacement of self and disbalancing opponents. Things actually become easier with multiple opponents because they get in each others way and gives you more to work with!

Taijutsu is all movement, learning how to move freely within the space in all manners, leaving would-be attackers in disadvantageous positions that are easily exploited.

I only have limited experience with aikido through a couple of my instructors that have studied it, and none at all with the others, so I don't know how it would compare... but I recommend consideration on this topic.

Comment

My knowledge of bagua/pakua is too limited, but I certainly agree with the others.
          Taking responsibility for my actions since 1989

Comment

Bagua Zhang is very good for learning to defend against multiple attackers. Shaolin TuoDa skill is specifically for defend against multiple attackers.

Comment

Things actually become easier with multiple opponents because they get in each others way and gives you more to work with!
              Maybe in dojo.

The torture never stops.

Comment

In my experience with Aikido, the important thing is to keep moving and to keep them moving. Most Aikido style projections are also good at bowling over other potential attackers. Taking Tenkan Ikkyo and Kokyunages in a crowded place is going to get you noticed.

Also taking an evasive mind set rather than a blocking countering one, I think, I allows for quicker dispatching.

As for a list of styles Id say:
                Aikido/Daito Ryu
                BaGua
                Taiji
                Goju/Wado Ryu
                Hapkido
                Solid boxing skills.

Comment

"Things actually become easier with multiple opponents because they get in each others way and gives you more to work with!"

I cannot believe that some people really think that. Only one of them needs to get a hand on you to slow you down, and then the rest are on you.

Haven't you seen fights, CCTV footage, the news, etc. The attackers don't queue up, they are on you like a pack of dogs. Their momentum alone will be enough to knock you down, and then you get the shit kicked out of you. What if you do cause them to fall into each other? So you make an opening, you'll just have to run anyway - and they will chase you.

That said, assuming that you do have to fight, I haven't got a clue which style would be the best. I don't think it's really down to styles, to give it your best shot I think that you'd have to be: aggressive, explosive, pre-emptive, and fucking lucky.

Comment

MMA Phil is correct, no change there.

I would say someone well skilled in verticle grappling and boxing would be the best to handle multiples.

If they have any clue what they are doing you're totally fucked though. They have to be true muppets to mess it up.

-----------------------------------------------------------
                    You are not a beautiful and unique snowflake.
                    "You realise the transformations give a man enough strength to destroy a truck with his bare hands!?
                    YOU HAVE BETRAYED ME, IN THE WORST POSSIBLE MANNER!!" - KiWarrior

"Sport ? That kind of thing's not my bag baby!" - Sammy Franco

"This system was developed with the help of notible BJJ fighter Ribbon Muchado." - "Sifu" Anthony Iglesias

Comment

"If they have any clue what they are doing you're totally fucked though"
                      About sums it up.

Initiative, viciousness, luck.

You can`t wait till they are ready to go.

Anyway, if they mean business, you are likely to end up in hospital or worse.

The torture never stops.

Comment

MMA Phil, SLJ,
                        I have been attacked by multiple attackers. What saved me (at least kept me from getting dragged to the floor) was stuff I learned in Hapkido. Lots of circular evasive movement, getting people in the way of each other, & grab escapes.

Here is a quote describing the event from an old thread (It's one where I am responding to Blade Windu's idea that MA aren't useful for real self defense):

" Run away in every situation? Shoot people? Please... When I was a bouncer, and when I was a bartender I have had to protect myself (this is SELF DEFENSE) using martial arts techniques, IN REAL LIFE! I couldn't run away or shoot people. Remember the thread awhile back ("What's The Hardest You've Ever Been Hit?") where I got clocked by the champagne bottle and had to fight off 6-7 guys in a VERY CROWDED bar? Not only did I improvise weapons (my own bottle-club and drink tray-shield), but I also used a power front kick (from Muay Thai and Hapkido training), punch blocks (from Wing Chun, MT, and HKD training), grab escapes (from Hapkido training), and circular evasion footwork and body movement(from Hapkido training). All of my martial arts training also helped me use my improvised weapons as well (once I acquired them in the midst of the battle). I just kept striking and moving, staying in motion, to avoid getting dragged to the floor for a boot party. I didn't "win" or "lose", but I survived. My training lived up to its purpose. From this experience and many other REAL LIFE fight experiences, I have to say that you are dead WRONG about your assertions in regard to martial arts not being for real life situations."

Heh heh. Guess I was a little P.O.'d at Blade's blanket assertions, but it was more convenient than re-writing the whole scenario in a less argumentative style.

Anyway, I agree with the previous posters and both of you guys in terms of surviving multiple attackers. I don't think aggressiveness, explosiveness, timing (or pre-emptive attack), and luck are at odds with training in the arts or techniques mentioned above.

Comment

Use Zangief's move

Stick both your arms out and spin around.

"Ya can't play with my YO-YO!!!"

Comment

"- a spinning ball deflects objects"
                            Wing Chun ideal with the arms........

anyways......as or what arts are good?
                            i don't think i can specify

BUT
                            I've submitted an article to Phrost about Fighting Multiples and that should be up soon (eh Phrost?)

--
                            Hard work, Patience, Dedication.

"One pressure point application I like is the knife to the balls." Posted by deus ex machina August 05 2003
                            Surfing Facebook at work? Spread the good word by adding us on Facebook today! https://www.facebook.com/Bullshido

https://www.instagram.com/bullshido/

Comment

at least make it look good before you get stomped!

:)

--
                              Hard work, Patience, Dedication.

"One pressure point application I like is the knife to the balls." Posted by deus ex machina August 05 2003
                              Surfing Facebook at work? Spread the good word by adding us on Facebook today! https://www.facebook.com/Bullshido

https://www.instagram.com/bullshido/

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X