X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Scrapper's new article: anatomy of a catastrophe

The article is here:

https://www.bullshido.net/anatomy-of-a-catastrophe/

I thought it was very well written. I have little to add except that since mom drove him to the demonstration, did not supervise him, and may or may not have known he was being armed. (none of the articles I've seen address this point) she has probably bought herself an expensive civil lawsuit for failing to supervise her minor offspring while he was shooting people. I think that Kyle has a rational self defense claim, (I'm not saying its a winning case, too early for that) but he and mom should have never cooperated to put him in this situation. The prosecution will attempt to convict him for illegally possessing a firearm, which I don't see how his mom can claim that she was properly supervising him. Its one thing to let your kid roam around in the forest out of eyesight shooting deer, its another to let them roam unsupervised at a riot where its a lot more likely someone is going to get hurt. That and property damage are the point of a riot as verses a protest.
    Last edited by Sam Browning; 9/01/2020 8:22pm, .

Originally posted by Sam Browning View Post
    The article is here:

https://www.bullshido.net/anatomy-of-a-catastrophe/

I thought it was very well written. I have little to add except that since mom drove him to the demonstration, did not supervise him, and may or may not have known he was being armed. (none of the articles I've seen address this point) she has probably bought herself an expensive civil lawsuit for failing to supervise her minor offspring while he was shooting people. I think that Kyle has a rational self defense claim, (I'm not saying its a winning case, too early for that) but he and mom should have never cooperated to put him in this situation. The prosecution will attempt to convict him for illegally possessing a firearm, which I don't see how his mom can claim that she was properly supervising him. Its one thing to let your kid roam around in the forest out of eyesight shooting deer, its another to let them roam unsupervised at a riot where its a lot more likely someone is going to get hurt. That and property damage are the point of a riot as verses a protest.
    I don't know what lead up to the initial confrontation but I think sticks in the gullet of law enforcement is how irresponsible it is to let a minor boy loose on the street with a loaded AR15 in a riot.

You don't have to grow up grow up listening to songs about life in the ghetto to know a clearly foolish teenager going out on the street at night with no plan and no preparation beyond tacticool dipshittery literally looking for trouble during civil unrest is a recipe for tragedy and disaster.

If the mother knew that's her son was crossing state lines march around playing Frank Castle wannabe then she definitely deserves to catch a punitive lawsuit.

If I had a son I think I'd slap his eyebrows off of his face if he ever mentioned some silly shit like that. Whether or not this qualifies as self defense to a jury is irrelevant only tangent the larger overarching stupidity plot.
    "Pave the way for the little guy, Caligula!" Harry Solomon, September 28, 1999

Comment

I do think the article is spot on, everyone involved was equally retarded but I am on the side which thinks that Rittenhouse performed relatively well. I say ‘relatively l’ because I don’t consider anything he did to be good exactly, its just that he could have fucked up far, far worse than he did.

He could have panicked and fired indiscriminately into the crowd, he could have surrendered his weapon and ended up being killed himself and after the third shooting he gave himself up straight away, lots of people would have panicked and fled.

Anyone can become a competent shooter on a range but even range ninjas can fall apart under duress and Rittenhouse was under extreme stress. He genuinely feared for his life, was withdrawing, had been struck a few times and was hitting moving targets. Yes the range was short but that’s still not easy, plus some his shots were taken from the sitting position. (Apparently he cleared a stoppage at that time but I couldn’t see it in the videos that I’ve seen). Of his 6-8 rounds fired the majority hit their targets and he came away with two confirmed kills and one assailant out of the fight.

There’s probably more luck than judgment involved here but that’s not bad for fantasist with little to no training. Of course an adult with training would have performed better but I like to think an adult with training wouldn’t be so stupid as to get involved in such a mess.
      Ne Obliviscaris

Comment

I still can't get over how his mother drove him to a place of conflict and turned him loose with a rifle. As a parent, I can't understand that degree of shortsightedness on her part.
        Shut the hell up and train.

Comment

Originally posted by jnp View Post
          I still can't get over how his mother drove him to a place of conflict and turned him loose with a rifle. As a parent, I can't understand that degree of shortsightedness on her part.
          I’ve lived it and experienced it for 50 years, I Get and understand it. Don’t like it, but irrational fear makes people stupid.

Comment

Originally posted by It is Fake View Post

I’ve lived it and experienced it for 50 years, I Get and understand it. Don’t like it, but irrational fear makes people stupid.
            There's an entire academic sub-discipline devoted to this sort of thing. Fear short-circuits reason. It used to provide an advantage back when your two main options for responding to fear only needed to be fight or flight, but now we have the luxury of taking a few seconds to decide if the modern equivalent of eyes in the bushes are an actual threat or just someone trying to scare us with bullshit.

Comment

Originally posted by Phrost View Post

There's an entire academic sub-discipline devoted to this sort of thing. Fear short-circuits reason. It used to provide an advantage back when your two main options for responding to fear only needed to be fight or flight, but now we have the luxury of taking a few seconds to decide if the modern equivalent of eyes in the bushes are an actual threat or just someone trying to scare us with bullshit.
              Yep. It is ridiculous.

Comment

Are there any stats on how much public property has been destroyed due to the seemingly endless riots around the US this year?
                "I'm reluctant to sound like a total fa66ot as well, but my background in sculpture gave me an edge in understanding how we're expected to move thru space." - The Other Other Serge

Comment

Originally posted by Lily View Post
                  Are there any stats on how much public property has been destroyed due to the seemingly endless riots around the US this year?
                  There is this website I have visited. I believe it's called Google. It's fairly new but you might be able to find some answers that you are looking for.

Comment

Originally posted by Lily View Post
                    Well, if anyone has that information it's insurance companies and I don't know if they're sharing that information with the public.
                    "Pave the way for the little guy, Caligula!" Harry Solomon, September 28, 1999

Comment

Did anyone see the news interview with the guy that got shot in the arm crying and basically saying that he didn't shoot anyone so he was a victim?? He's on video trying to shoot a 17 year old and yet is quoted saying he didn't shoot anyone. I mean technically it's true since he lost the quick draw, but fucking hell the mental hoops you must have to jump through to remove all responsibility from your own actions in a case like that.

Comment

Originally posted by Bneterasedmynam View Post
                        Did anyone see the news interview with the guy that got shot in the arm crying and basically saying that he didn't shoot anyone so he was a victim?? He's on video trying to shoot a 17 year old and yet is quoted saying he didn't shoot anyone. I mean technically it's true since he lost the quick draw, but fucking hell the mental hoops you must have to jump through to remove all responsibility from your own actions in a case like that.
                        Are you referring to the "medic" that Rittenhouse shot?

Yeah, he totally wussed out. If you're gonna draw down, fucking have the courage to follow through. Rittenhouse totally didn't shoot this guy for several seconds, as I recall, it was just a "oh, that's a bigger gun than I have" moment. Then, he tried to go all Braveheart, and now he's a lefty.
                        Consider for a moment that there is no meme about brown-haired, brown-eyed step children.

Comment

WEll, they have him cold on the misdemeanor.

https://wcca.wicourts.gov/caseDetail...0&mode=details
                          Falling for Judo since 1980

"You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

"The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

"Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

Comment

The "medic" is a convicted felon, and was illegally in possession of a firearm.
                            Falling for Judo since 1980

"You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

"The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

"Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

Comment

Originally posted by BKR View Post
                              The "medic" is a convicted felon, and was illegally in possession of a firearm.
                              He claimed in his interview that he wasn't a felon and had a CCW. Of course he Also claimed he wasn't trying to shoot anyone so I'm inclined to disbelieve.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X