No announcement yet.

The let's discuss protestors thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

De-escalation is definitely the way forward. The issue is that the extreme of either side aren’t really interested. The current civil unrest is based on emotions rather than logic and until the official and unofficial figureheads of either side take some sort of responsibility this will go on and on. I know I bang on about it but the people in the middle will pay for this and it’s such a shame.
    Ne Obliviscaris

Comment

Originally posted by hungryjoe View Post

Does not address the reality that there are a substantial number of people trying wreak havoc by destroying property and injuring others. The local leaders have failed the people.

I'm not condoning beating the protesters. I fully support their right to peaceably assemble. That's not what we're addressing here. The gas has come out when it's been determined that a protest has turned to something else.

Kudos on your previous work.
      The primary reasons given for the fed presence in Portland, by their own statement at the time, was graffiti.

They went straight to strong-man tactics, over graffiti, which predictably escalated the situation. The protests center on police brutality, so storming a major US city with anonymous federal troopers to bust heads is just about the worst move that could have been made...if I wanted to make things worse I’m not sure I could come up with a better plan.

The reality is the authorities have the responsibility to deescalate these situations, and in too many instances they are not. I gave a little of my job history to show that I’m not a pie-in-the-Sky idealist about human nature, I know how hard it is to eat the shit and be in dangerous situations on a regular basis, not everyone is temperamentally suited to doing it. I’m seeing too many videos where law enforcement is being held to a very low standard of behavior, and it’s making things worse.

The reality is that the right to protest is a fundamental right in the US because ‘authorities’ since time began don’t like it, but our nations founders knew how important it was to protect it. If they’ll be pulling your gun from your cold, dead hand, then I hope the other dead hand is gripping the right to protest, because without the latter the former means very little.

Comment

Over 100 Police Agencies Pull Out Of Agreements To Guard DNC Convention

https://www.dailywire.com/news/break...aign=dwtwitter
        King without a crown

Comment

Originally posted by Kovacs View Post
          De-escalation is definitely the way forward. The issue is that the extreme of either side aren’t really interested. The current civil unrest is based on emotions rather than logic and until the official and unofficial figureheads of either side take some sort of responsibility this will go on and on. I know I bang on about it but the people in the middle will pay for this and it’s such a shame.
          Well, there can always be opportunists (on any and all sides) who’ll use an inflamed situation to push their own agenda...they don’t really have an incentive to solving the problems because then the attention goes away.

unfortunately there aren’t too many grown-ups in the room willing to really work the issues and calm things down...certainly not at the top of our federal government where I think some actually strong leadership could be very helpful (I consider all the tough-guy rhetoric and authoritarian impulses to be a sign of a very weak man and counterproductive to the current needs of our nation)

Comment

Originally posted by PDA View Post
            Over 100 Police Agencies Pull Out Of Agreements To Guard DNC Convention

https://www.dailywire.com/news/break...aign=dwtwitter
            The Daily Wire is one of America’s fastest-growing conservative media companies and counter-cultural outlets for news, opinion, and entertainment.

okay, not the least biased source around, but the point still stands I guess, many police departments are pissed off right now because some of their tools are potentially being limited/restricted/removed? Fair point for discussion. I think it might be an overreaction in some regards, though (from widely available videos) it appears that some additional training should be attached to specialized tools (for example, something that isn’t ever supposed to be shot at a protestors head?).

the current protests started, at their core, when police flat out did it wrong. In many cases the official response to these incidents appears to be very limited without heavy public pressure (I.e., no charges until public outcry). This gives the real impression that police aren’t that great at policing themselves, trust is lost, fear grows, more oversight and restrictions are advocated. That’s one of the problems leaders are going to have to address (once they’re all done flexing and posturing..let’s hope we get there).

Comment

Still burning things, throwing paint on old ladies and flashing lasers in attempts to blind LEOs.

Meanwhile, elections for some local leaders are around the corner.
              Carter Hargrave's Jeet Can't Do

http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=31636

Comment

Still burning things, throwing paint on old ladies and flashing lasers in attempts to blind LEOs.

Meanwhile, elections for some local leaders are around the corner.
                First let me point out again that I in fact despise those using the protests to create anarchy. That being said how do you expect that it will ever stop when the police have as a whole collectively said they will not stop being reprehensible?? The position of the police as a whole has been stand their ground and continue to cover up murders, racism, abuse of authority, etc. Can you name even ONE police department that has actually enacted any real oversight since this shitstorm started?? Seriously I'll accept just one example.

Comment

Originally posted by Bneterasedmynam View Post

First let me point out again that I in fact despise those using the protests to create anarchy. That being said how do you expect that it will ever stop when the police have as a whole collectively said they will not stop being reprehensible?? The position of the police as a whole has been stand their ground and continue to cover up murders, racism, abuse of authority, etc. Can you name even ONE police department that has actually enacted any real oversight since this shitstorm started?? Seriously I'll accept just one example.
                  Define "as a whole".

Police unions?
                  All police?
                  All police departments?
                  All LEO everywhere?

Carter Hargrave's Jeet Can't Do

http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=31636

Comment

Define "as a whole".

Police unions?
                    All police?
                    All police departments?
                    All LEO everywhere?
                    Police unions. Yup even some on video.

all police. Yup so far I have seen absolutely zero remorse for their actions and even less calling for accountability.

All police departments. Same as above.

All LEO everywhere. Well it's not like the feds didn't double down on the whole no accountability route in support of their buddies.

So I'm guessing it's a no on the whole one example part??

Comment

Best way forward is to burn it all to the ground. And if the Feds declare a state of emergency due to the violence, well, that's clearly a fascist government so therefore more violence is needed. Time to put away the airsoft guns and bring the real ones. Battle it out.

Don't let civilisation stand in the way of the power of progressivism. It's the patriarcy and the establishment, they're one and the same. Burn them all, burn their monuments, their statues, their legacy.

Create chaos so a new world order can develop, one where YOU'RE at the top of the foodchain, where YOU dictate where the fruits of labour are distributed to, and ensure that it stays out of the hands of those who flourished under the previous regime.

GET A RED BELT OR DIE TRYIN'.
                      Originally posted by Devil
                      I think Battlefields and I had a spirited discussion once about who was the biggest narcissist. We both wanted the title but at the end of the day I had to concede defeat. Can't win 'em all.
                      Originally posted by BackFistMonkey
                      I <3 Battlefields...

Comment

Police unions. Yup even some on video.

all police. Yup so far I have seen absolutely zero remorse for their actions and even less calling for accountability.

All police departments. Same as above.

All LEO everywhere. Well it's not like the feds didn't double down on the whole no accountability route in support of their buddies.

So I'm guessing it's a no on the whole one example part??
                        It’s probably not what you mean but reforms have already started at various levels from State down to individual apartments.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List...Floyd_protests

I can’t see there being many or even any forms apologies yet, if that’s you meant. As the civil unrest is still going on, breaking character to show your neck isn’t really a good idea, it might appease some of the legitimate protestors but it might not and it will almost certainly embolden the more hardcore element. The police obviously must be held accountable but diplomacy in times like this really is up to the public officials and politicians. They need to get a grip on this and restore order as peacefully as possible.

The effect of this varies state by state and it isn’t helped by Trump using tough-talk on his own citizens and officials courting the mob over their own police departments. Becouse if the lack of any real leadership involved in any element of this unrest I can’t see it going away any time soon. It might fizzle out as these things sometimes do but the election is probably going g to have a big effect on this.
                        Ne Obliviscaris

Comment

On a scale of The Phantom Menace to the American Revolution, I give the protesters a surprise two-part Maquis episode of DS9. Kinda, you now, wish they'd go so we can resume our regularly scheduled programming.
                          "Pave the way for the little guy, Caligula!" Harry Solomon, September 28, 1999

Comment

Originally posted by Kovacs View Post

It’s probably not what you mean but reforms have already started at various levels from State down to individual apartments.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List...Floyd_protests

I can’t see there being many or even any forms apologies yet, if that’s you meant. As the civil unrest is still going on, breaking character to show your neck isn’t really a good idea, it might appease some of the legitimate protestors but it might not and it will almost certainly embolden the more hardcore element. The police obviously must be held accountable but diplomacy in times like this really is up to the public officials and politicians. They need to get a grip on this and restore order as peacefully as possible.

The effect of this varies state by state and it isn’t helped by Trump using tough-talk on his own citizens and officials courting the mob over their own police departments. Becouse if the lack of any real leadership involved in any element of this unrest I can’t see it going away any time soon. It might fizzle out as these things sometimes do but the election is probably going g to have a big effect on this.
                            Mostly the reforms are being forced upon the police by their local governments, absolutely zero reform has come from the departments themselves. As far as showing their necks, yeah they kind of fucking should at this point. The standard operating procedure has been to cover up, protect asswipes, and refuse to ever change and all while acting untouchable. To be perfectly blunt, they had their chance to self correct and preferred to stay the course.

Now just to be clear defunding is fucking retarded and destroying the lives, property, and health of innocent people is reprehensible. Reform by way of real accountability is the only way forward.

Comment

Originally posted by Dung Beatles View Post
                              On a scale of The Phantom Menace to the American Revolution, I give the protesters a surprise two-part Maquis episode of DS9. Kinda, you now, wish they'd go so we can resume our regularly scheduled programming.
                              I hate that I've seen that DS9 episode. Or really any DS9 episode. DS9 was to Star Trek what Ben Affleck was to Batman.

Comment

I hate that I've seen that DS9 episode. Or really any DS9 episode. DS9 was to Star Trek what Ben Affleck was to Batman.
                                Right? It's already bad enough that we're sitting through DS9 because there's nothing else on but why do we have to include a shitty plot that was so convoluted and boring that it killed better Star Trek shows?
                                "Pave the way for the little guy, Caligula!" Harry Solomon, September 28, 1999

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                                X