Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Minneapolis retires it's officers...all of them??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by submessenger View Post

Where else are you gonna get 800 qualified officers on the turn of a dime?
    But they are not qualified, are they.

Listening to news this morning. Some CA legislator was bitching about how LEO should be certified like all other professionals.

1.) Beat level cops are basically skilled labor. We can argue about how skilled they are, on average, etc. But theya re not like MDs, Attorneys, etc.

2.) There is this thing in states called P.O.S.T. Peace Officer Standards and Training. They have these things called "academies".

3.) And people who graduate and then subsequently hired and further trained (FTO, field officer training), get to be what is called "POST Certified".

4.) LOOKEE THERE! Even have one in California... https://post.ca.gov/

Minneapolis has had a racism/prejudice problem with their LEO for a long time.

Plus a fucked up police union

Falling for Judo since 1980

"You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

"The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

"Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

Comment

Originally posted by BKR View Post

But they are not qualified, are they.

Listening to news this morning. Some CA legislator was bitching about how LEO should be certified like all other professionals.

1.) Beat level cops are basically skilled labor. We can argue about how skilled they are, on average, etc. But theya re not like MDs, Attorneys, etc.

2.) There is this thing in states called P.O.S.T. Peace Officer Standards and Training. They have these things called "academies".

3.) And people who graduate and then subsequently hired and further trained (FTO, field officer training), get to be what is called "POST Certified".

4.) LOOKEE THERE! Even have one in California... https://post.ca.gov/

Minneapolis has had a racism/prejudice problem with their LEO for a long time.

Plus a fucked up police union

See also CALEA.
      Consider for a moment that there is no meme about brown-haired, brown-eyed step children.

Comment

Not sure how to answer the question...

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/min...-crime-victims

Something something "duty to protect"...

"I think in Minneapolis, watching George Floyd's death, and the four -- the actions of the four police officers that were involved has been a huge wake-up call for so many in Minneapolis to see what many already knew, which is that our police department is not keeping every member of our community safe," Bender replied.

These people do not even understand the legal precedents...

"You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

"The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

"Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

Comment

I know the actual chances of Minneapolis going all Lord of the Flies with zero policing is slim to none. But goddamn that would be entertaining as fuck.

Comment

Also, do we have any Minneapolis Bullies? If so, I’d love to be your house guest when the apocalypse starts. I can take vacation for a couple weeks and we can chill at your place and play “I Wish a Motherfucker Would.” I’ll bring the beer and black rifles.

Comment

Originally posted by Devil View Post
              Also, do we have any Minneapolis Bullies? If so, I’d love to be your house guest when the apocalypse starts. I can take vacation for a couple weeks and we can chill at your place and play “I Wish a Motherfucker Would.” I’ll bring the beer and black rifles.
              The city council is getting their 15 minutes of fame, let's see how long it lasts and how far they can go.

Comment

This is not exactly unprecedented. The county/counties involved will pick up the slack, with regards to crime. Possibly also St. Paul and other nearby departments.

What's going to be interesting is that most of the 800-ish people employed are probably going to get jobs in these other departments, or even the new paradigm, whatever that ends up being.
                I like how they only looked at 911 calls to get data to base their initial ideas on. Like, yeah, cops are needed on "some" DV calls. I'm wondering what's up with that?

I used to be a 911 call taker/dispatcher. The vast majority of calls for service were NOT 911 calls. They came in on the non-emergency line.

I note that both Hennepin (Minneapolis) and Ramsey County (St. Paul) have non-emergency numbers to call.

As far as Ramsey County or St. Paul cops policing in Hennepin County (Minneapolis), normally, there has to be some sort of agreement. Deputies (and municipal cops) have to be cross-deputized by the elected sheriff.

But usually whoever is on duty in the home county, will get the call first, and they would call for out of county backup if it got really shitty. Like REALLY shitty.

So, theoretically, you could have Hennepin Co. deputies taking over policing in Minneapolis, and the city could do dick squat about that.

And f they get jammed, calling either St. Paul PD, or Ramsey Co. Sheriff.

Somehow, I think that the Minneapolis City Council does not understand all that.

Caveat, MN may work differently than other states.

*edit Another option is the MN State Patrol...

Comment

This is not exactly unprecedented. The county/counties involved will pick up the slack, with regards to crime. Possibly also St. Paul and other nearby departments.

What's going to be interesting is that most of the 800-ish people employed are probably going to get jobs in these other departments, or even the new paradigm, whatever that ends up being.
                  Another thought, the Police Union is super strong there. They have a contract with the city...

So, they will have to honor that contract until it expires, then not renew it.

I wonder how much it's gonna cost Minneapolis to fire (if they do) all or a lot of the cops. I mean, will they go over service records of complaints, and grade cops that way? Then the Police Union gets to argue if that's within the contract.

This is going to be interesting.

I mean, it's Democracy in action, right? Warms the cockles of my heart. And a a little lower, too...

https://youtu.be/UrgpZ0fUixs

Comment

Another thought, the Police Union is super strong there. They have a contract with the city...

So, they will have to honor that contract until it expires, then not renew it.

I wonder how much it's gonna cost Minneapolis to fire (if they do) all or a lot of the cops. I mean, will they go over service records of complaints, and grade cops that way? Then the Police Union gets to argue if that's within the contract.

This is going to be interesting.

I mean, it's Democracy in action, right? Warms the cockles of my heart. And a a little lower, too...

https://youtu.be/UrgpZ0fUixs
                    Damnit, I knew it was gonna be Asshole.

I clicked it anyway.

It's like rick rolling, but for comedy.

Allegedly, he stole that song from I-forget-who.
                    Consider for a moment that there is no meme about brown-haired, brown-eyed step children.

Comment

Here you go, some reality.

https://apnews.com/56a32b17f029abd750bfd58927ec5563

Comment

One part of the article says that officers would have to have their own liability insurance LOL. Imagine a break in and having to wait because of insurance.

Comment

Originally posted by Bneterasedmynam View Post

One part of the article says that officers would have to have their own liability insurance LOL. Imagine a break in and having to wait because of insurance.
                          Most agencies/municipalities already indemnify their officers, and insure them.

Qualified Immunity is being presented as a huge bogeyman that causes officers to wantonly violate citizens civil rights, usually 4th Amendment claims.

It is also something that was "legislated from the bench" by the SCOTUS.

On those grounds alone, it needs to be clearly legislated. Judges are not supposed to make law, just interpret it.

I think that it's a ploy to get lawyers rich from suing the cops.

Insurance companies almost always settle, right ?

Comment

This cracked me up.
                            GET A RED BELT OR DIE TRYIN'.
                            Originally posted by Devil
                            I think Battlefields and I had a spirited discussion once about who was the biggest narcissist. We both wanted the title but at the end of the day I had to concede defeat. Can't win 'em all.
                            Originally posted by BackFistMonkey
                            I <3 Battlefields...

Comment

This is going to cause a global shortage of popcorn
                              King without a crown

Comment

Living in interesting times, for sure.
                                Well, I'm getting rapidly fed up with the interesting parts. Can we go back to boring?
                                "Pave the way for the little guy, Caligula!" Harry Solomon, September 28, 1999

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                                X