No announcement yet.

The Official Covid-19 Quarantine Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For the first time I'm relishing the "senior citizen" status. Early first hour admittance for toilet paper.

Carter Hargrave's Jeet Can't Do

http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=31636

Comment

Managed to go through most of John Chungs perfect ITF Taekwondo kicking series, might order some more of these, like Reza Nasri's Greco Roman Series

Comment

Originally posted by hungryjoe View Post
        For the first time I'm relishing the "senior citizen" status. Early first hour admittance for toilet paper.

I am wondering when all the nuts will have purchased their TP and the rest of us can get back to normal purchasing?
        Not that I am hurting for TP yet, I figure at some point everyone will just be well stocked on it.
        Of the single rapier fight between valiant men, having both skill, he that is the best wrestler, or if neither of them can wrestle, the strongest man most commonly kills the other, or leaves him at his mercy.
        –George Silver, Paradoxes of Defence

Comment

People irrationally hoarding TP because of a fear of running out, causing a shortage of tp and then fear of a shortage.... self fulfilling prophecy?

Comment

Originally posted by lant3rn View Post
            People irrationally hoarding TP because of a fear of running out, causing a shortage of tp and then fear of a shortage.... self fulfilling prophecy?
            On the plus side this reminds my Wife of growing up in Soviet era Ukrain, where the shelves where largely bare and people horded anything and everything they where entitled to out of fear of shortages.
            Of the single rapier fight between valiant men, having both skill, he that is the best wrestler, or if neither of them can wrestle, the strongest man most commonly kills the other, or leaves him at his mercy.

Comment

Originally posted by goodlun View Post

On the plus side this reminds my Wife of growing up in Soviet era Ukrain, where the shelves where largely bare and people horded anything and everything they where entitled to out of fear of shortages.
              Why is that a plus? Sounds terrible.

Comment

Why is that a plus? Sounds terrible.
                I mean, I was kidding about it being a "plus" but it was funny that she commented on it the last time we were at the store.
                Like I said earlier slim pickings, but there is food.
                More fresh food such as produce and butcher meat vs dry goods.
                People seem to think that they will either really be locked down, or it will actually be too dangerous to go out.
                I am not worrying about either.

Comment

Those kinds of fresh groceries are usually what I buy anyway. Someone actually tried to shoulder check out of the way of the meat section yesterday morning to get at choice cuts of meat when they were restocking in the morning.

Comment

Those kinds of fresh groceries are usually what I buy anyway. Someone actually tried to shoulder check out of the way of the meat section yesterday morning to get at choice cuts of meat when they were restocking earlier yesterday morning.
                    Yeah myself as well, hence over all this is lower impact to me.

I am right now in an all hands meeting online about COVID-19 and plans for the Spring semester seems like its going to be all online.
                    Given our research focus this is going to be very interesting.

Comment

The hillarious narrative that Jeff Bezos gives a shit about disaster price gouging for medical supplies really is something to beholdl

The same $14 bag of rice at Costco is $99 on Amazon right now.

It's not just rice, of course, it's all kinds of shit. *Wanna make bank? Find out what the purchase limited items are, buy one of each, sell them immediately on Amazon. It's a great time to be a shameless asshole profiteer.

Edit: *This is sarcasm. Don't do this.
                      Last edited by Dung Beatles; 3/25/2020 8:14pm, .
                      "Pave the way for the little guy, Caligula!" Harry Solomon, September 28, 1999

Comment

Originally posted by Dung Beatles View Post
                        Find out what the purchase limited items are, buy one of each, sell them immediately on Amazon. It's a great time to be a shameless asshole profiteer.

Edit: *This is sarcasm. Don't do this.
                        Exactly. Bezos provides the "marketplace," but the sellers are their own assholes. Look for the "sold by," which shows up right around the price in the top right of the product page. Amazon, of course, takes a percentage of this for providing the marketplace, so arguably they are complicit, but it's not really Amazon that's being the direct asshole.

There are several ways to game this, even when not in a crisis scenario like we are, right now. I won't list them.
                        Consider for a moment that there is no meme about brown-haired, brown-eyed step children.

Comment

Nobel laureate and biophysicist Michael Levitt thinks the coronavirus recovery will be shorter than anticipated. (archive)

Comment

Originally posted by submessenger View Post

Exactly. Bezos provides the "marketplace," but the sellers are their own assholes. Look for the "sold by," which shows up right around the price in the top right of the product page. Amazon, of course, takes a percentage of this for providing the marketplace, so arguably they are complicit, but it's not really Amazon that's being the direct asshole.

There are several ways to game this, even when not in a crisis scenario like we are, right now. I won't list them.
                            Well, maybe not directly but I'd really be curious how much they are managing their Google Adword promotions, white label Amazon brands, etc. There's more than one way that Amazon could easily profiteer off of this and given how much money is on the table, not much surprises me.

Almost every man has a price, that shouldn't come as a shock. The shocking part should be how low that price tends to be.
                            "Pave the way for the little guy, Caligula!" Harry Solomon, September 28, 1999

Comment

So far, the main impact on me is that my wife is doing all the grocery shopping right now without me having to try and make up a reason to stay home with the kids. It's great! I got a shit ton of yardwork done last week, but I'm back to work this week.
                              Combatives training log.

Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

Drum thread

Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.

"Disliking someone is not evidence of wrongdoing or malfeasance or even bias." --Dung Beatles

Comment

All the hoarding is.
                                Falling for Judo since 1980

"You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

"The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

"Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                                X