• Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Official Covid-19 Quarantine Thread

Click image for larger version

Name:	yMvfiZk.jpg
Size:	17.6 KB
ID:	4595086

Rather than clogging up the other threads let's use this one to document our daily bullshit dealing with the global(ish) lockdown.

Also, if anyone knows members who are stuggling and in need, so we can help out where we can.

I could use something other than a 14 year old to roll with.....
    Of the single rapier fight between valiant men, having both skill, he that is the best wrestler, or if neither of them can wrestle, the strongest man most commonly kills the other, or leaves him at his mercy.
    George Silver, Paradoxes of Defence

Comment

I was gonna get married on April 11th but the virus cancelled that. It seems crazy that just a few weeks ago I was buying a nice 3 piece suit for my wedding and now who knows how long it’ll sit in my closet. Consequently, we have boxes of bottles of wine now. I made three gallons of mead for the occasion just after the engagement, so it’s like two and a half years old. Mead improves with age, so hopefully it will be even better whenever we reschedule. I built a wooden hexagon shaped wedding arch that I had to stow away disassembled for the time being. We even went to the court for a marriage license, which gives you a 2 month window to get married. But we have each other and we’re doing a lot better than a lot of people right now so we’re staying positive.

I’m heading back to work tomorrow, with some new safety protocols in place. Used my days off to take care of a lot of stuff around the house. I haven’t been able to find toilet paper anywhere. I’m trying to teach myself the musical saw while stuck at home, so I built a wooden handle for the left hand to make it easier to form the proper S curve for good resonance. I’ve also been practicing a lot of fire staff, moving more into contact style.

I guess a lot of people were at the beaches and hiking trails here over the weekend. I drove by two of the popular trails and they had so many cars at the trailhead. San Diego has a lot of places to hike; I don’t know why they all pick the same three spots.

Comment

Originally posted by Permalost View Post
        We even went to the court for a marriage license, which gives you a 2 month window to get married.
        Any thought on doing the civil thing and having the ceremony when where do able?

Of the single rapier fight between valiant men, having both skill, he that is the best wrestler, or if neither of them can wrestle, the strongest man most commonly kills the other, or leaves him at his mercy.

Comment

I was gonna get married on April 11th but the virus cancelled that. It seems crazy that just a few weeks ago I was buying a nice 3 piece suit for my wedding and now who knows how long it’ll sit in my closet. Consequently, we have boxes of bottles of wine now. I made three gallons of mead for the occasion just after the engagement, so it’s like two and a half years old. Mead improves with age, so hopefully it will be even better whenever we reschedule. I built a wooden hexagon shaped wedding arch that I had to stow away disassembled for the time being. We even went to the court for a marriage license, which gives you a 2 month window to get married. But we have each other and we’re doing a lot better than a lot of people right now so we’re staying positive.

I’m heading back to work tomorrow, with some new safety protocols in place. Used my days off to take care of a lot of stuff around the house. I haven’t been able to find toilet paper anywhere. I’m trying to teach myself the musical saw while stuck at home, so I built a wooden handle for the left hand to make it easier to form the proper S curve for good resonance. I’ve also been practicing a lot of fire staff, moving more into contact style.

I guess a lot of people were at the beaches and hiking trails here over the weekend. I drove by two of the popular trails and they had so many cars at the trailhead. San Diego has a lot of places to hike; I don’t know why they all pick the same three spots.
          God is giving you a chance to change your mind.

Use it wisely .
          King without a crown

Comment

Marriages, like homes, are where the hearts reside.

On the other, if there is some practical benefit to such a unit,

Fill out whatever paper the State demands without delay.

And may your first child, etc, etc.

Mazel tov.

Comment

John danaher released a free DVD series full of solo workout drills. Which I think was nice of him.

Comment

I’ve had an operational tour probably delayed and possibly cancelled as we will almost certainly be needed here wether it’s assisting the emergency services or going full retard and enforcing lockdowns. Going full regard is unfortunately up to the public.

My partner should be okay, she works in law enforcement so is a key worker, we both have an income ans our home is remote enough to be quiet but not too far for her to be in trouble when I’m away, it’s part of a small but tight rural community.

Im shitting it for my sister and her young family who are financially struggling and my folks who are both in the high-risk category.

I’m usually a miserable bastard who has nothing but contempt for most of my fellow man but I do feel a lot for most people in this situation. It goes beyond politics and religion and all the usual stuff that fucks us up, COVID-19 simply doesn’t care and we need to rise as a species to get this nailed.
                Ne Obliviscaris

Comment

Originally posted by PDA View Post

Use it wisely .
                  LOL, now that's harsh even by my standards. Well done.

Comment

I just thought of something......ninjutsu is now technically a better martial art than BJJ. Hahahahahahaha.

Comment

Originally posted by goodlun View Post

Any thought on doing the civil thing and having the ceremony when where do able?
                      That was plan B, but government buildings are all shut down.

Originally posted by PDA View Post

Use it wisely .
                      This is almost word for word what my boss said.

Comment

This is almost word for word what my boss said.
                        Marriage is a long hard commitment. If this is your first go do everything you can to live up to the expectations that you will be a tireless supporter of your household. Anything less than that is a guaranteed divorce.
                        "Pave the way for the little guy, Caligula!" Harry Solomon, September 28, 1999

Comment

Originally posted by goodlun View Post
                          I could use something other than a 14 year old to roll with.....
                          Lucky bastard having a 14 year old to roll with. All I can do is watch Danaher videos. I swear if I hear "tremendous breaking pressure" or "irimi ashi garami" one more time I might snap.

Comment

I honestly and truly feel for those that are suffering but I have to admit, that I have largely benefited from this whole situation.
                            Still working full time but now from home and I like working from home, the metric really becomes what you get done vs what people see you doing, I don't have a commute, I get to sleep in a little longer, I can crank my music up. There is longer term talk of using this to show that yes, we can work from home in a more permanent basis.
                            Working from home results in not insignificant savings, roughly $20/day for lunch, $5/day gas, ~$3-$4 parking a day parking, 1-2 hours of commute time(yeah traffic can cause that much variance).
                            Since we shop at Costco as a matter of course we where already pretty well stocked on things like TP.
                            The Grocery stores do have slim pickings but they have food.
                            My Personal Trainer is still in business I feel 100% safe due to the nature of that, lets put it this way its a hell of a lot less exposure than say going to the Grocery Store or heck even Door Dash.
                            Speaking of Door Dash its still running, all the restaurants around us are open for carry out, so we certainly are not going to starve.
                            Work related things?
                            Work has been bonkers because we switched our commodity internet sat comms provider, and are moving everyone to a FX system, some ships already have an FX system(that is a 1m GX dome, and a Small FBB Dome), some ships already have the GX dome some do not. They need the GX dome in order to get on a FX Plan, the FX plan is a subscription plan vs a pay by the byte plan, and has a significant performance boost. It ultimately becomes cheaper for the whole fleet if everyone is on FX. So we have been scrambling to get 20 ships cut over before the end of the old contract, get people spun up.
                            Basically a lot of administrative work but not terrible heavy technical work(though their is some engineering around where to put domes and getting them mounted right).
                            Anyways we where suppose to get this all done by April as that is how long we extended the service contract with the old provider(and these contracts are not cheap like at all).

So the benefit of all of this for me?
                            18 of 20 ships are on stand down, that their is breathing room, we can shut off their old sat comms contracts they can get domes mounted, they can get stuff racked up, they can get ready to be provisioned once everything is ready to spin back up.
                            the other two are not on my plate, they are providing some challenges with the travel restrictions for everyone, but basically they are in Punta Arenas Chile and work around Antarctica and already have a FX system on board. Though the tasks are not insignificant to cut them over. It takes a Field engineer ~2 days to do the work to change providers. The timing on this was going to be tight for them anyways as they will only be in port a few days before they have to start their new season. Like I said largely not my problem.

More context I wear two hats. One hat is doing Primary & Secondary Sat comms for the UNOLS Academic Research Fleet, that means its a NFS large facility made up of a number of universities, with NFS, ONR, or the institute owning the vessel.
                            The other Hat I wear is I do Cyber Infrastructure Dev/Ops for the 3 research vessels, 1 research platform, shore-side infrastructure used to support them.
                            Those ships are a part of the UNOLS ARF, and are technically a customer of the other project. ONR owns the Global Class vessel, the Ocean Class vessel, and the Research platform, and we own the regional class vessel.
                            So our Global Class vessel is in an extended shipyard for its Midlife retrofit right now, it was suppose to come out of that soonish, well we where behind a bunch of dev/ops projects for it.
                            Its getting a VDI Cluster, new Virtual Servers to update the services IE things like moving from LDAP to AD, a new network infrastructure, new scientific instrumentation ect.
                            We where being pressured about not having time to do proper post Midlife outfitting because of an OSI/JASON Cruise right after Midlife, so with the delays in ship yard we have more dev time, and our outfitting time will no longer be impacted. So that is a big win for us.

Going back to that ONR owned thing, I was suppose to do a cool little cruise on our Ocean Class ship where DEVGRU was suppose to do a training exercise with us where they where going to come and rescue us from pirates. I don't know if that can/will be reschedules at all. On the down/up side it looks like me picking up a few Sea Days this year are now very slim(good because fuck going to sea, bad because I get RLA at sea which works out to be around double my day rate(the calculations are really weird).

On a personal front I am sort of a home body, the energy barrier to get me out of the house is already a bit on the high side so being stuck at home isn't a major issue for me, it is more impactful for my child, and that is where any sort of heart break really is.

That and the BJJ Gym being shut down. Though I might be willing to see if I can score some privates or pre-pay for some privates to prevent that from being a permanent closure.

Anyways that is how I am being impacted oddly more positive than negative but I do, I really do feel for those of you that are being negatively impacted.
                            Having been there I particularly feel for the Small Business owners that put it all out there and now are being forced to stay closed.

Comment

Originally posted by Myn View Post

Lucky bastard having a 14 year old to roll with. All I can do is watch Danaher videos. I swear if I hear "tremendous breaking pressure" or "irimi ashi garami" one more time I might snap.
                              Yeah we where working on some of the newer 50/50 stuff last night. Though for a 14 year old the KATCH system is likely more appropriate as the Straight Ankle lock is legal across more things for that age group. The conversion from Straight Ankle to Heel Hooks through that sytem are legit, and have been for over a decade. Its basically what I learned when I first started BJJ almost a decade ago.
                              Though we have been focusing heavily on finishing off the back(Danahers and Halls Videos are great on those as well as all in person instruction I have had).

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X