Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BSA Files Chapter 11 Due to Sex Abuse Cases

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    BSA Files Chapter 11 Due to Sex Abuse Cases

    As the title says the Boy Scouts of America has filed Chapter 11 due to the sudden up tick in lawsuits due to children having been sexually assaulted while in the Boy Scouts. Given my involvement in the Boy Scouts and from the details I can find this all seems really weird to me, but I thought I would kick the conversation off.


    From what I can tell the key lawsuit that kicked this off involved two main pieces of evidence.
    1) BSA's "Ineligible Volunteer Files"- It was a black list of volunteers that had violated BSAs child safety protocols and/or been accused of child abuse. It was intended to keep predators from bouncing around from Unit to Unit. Apparently BSA keeping a list was them acknowledging that there was a problem.
    2) BSA hiring Dr. Janet Warren to review the above files in order to provide assistance to victims. That is apparently the BSA accepting culpability.
    Don't rely on theory if your life is at stake.

    "But now that you've anointed him as truthsayer, you'll be complicit with what happens when the next Jew comes here and is lambasted by an ultrasecular Rabbi" -W.Rabbit/Pship/Emily Dickinson/Earth Dragon/Self Proclaimed Editor Extraordinaire

    #2
    As an Eagle scout this hurts my heart, the fact that there was so much abuse and the fact that this organization has been facing challenges in modernizing.
    I know they had good rules in place to reduce that potential for abuse but you know abusers are not likely to follow them rules.
    Not so fun fact, I worked at a Boy Scout camp (Mataguay Scout Camp) where one of the leaders of said camp was abusing children. As far as I remember there wasn't a scuttlebutt about something weird going on or to avoid that consoler or anything like that. I didn't find out it was going on till a well till the guy got caught.

    Comment


      #3
      Originally posted by goodlun View Post
      As an Eagle scout this hurts my heart, the fact that there was so much abuse and the fact that this organization has been facing challenges in modernizing.
      I know they had good rules in place to reduce that potential for abuse but you know abusers are not likely to follow them rules.
      Not so fun fact, I worked at a Boy Scout camp (Mataguay Scout Camp) where one of the leaders of said camp was abusing children. As far as I remember there wasn't a scuttlebutt about something weird going on or to avoid that consoler or anything like that. I didn't find out it was going on till a well till the guy got caught.
      No youth program is ever going to 100% safe from predators. No matter the safety protocols put in place.

      BSA, according to their own files, believes that from 1944 until 2016 there were just over 14k cases of child sexual abuse. In the same period 110million boys went through the Boy Scouts in what is essentially an all volunteer organization.

      Let me be clear, I think even one victim is one too many, however, the percentages are better than those enjoyed by most schools and other youth organizations.
      Don't rely on theory if your life is at stake.

      "But now that you've anointed him as truthsayer, you'll be complicit with what happens when the next Jew comes here and is lambasted by an ultrasecular Rabbi" -W.Rabbit/Pship/Emily Dickinson/Earth Dragon/Self Proclaimed Editor Extraordinaire

      Comment


        #4
        So is this just going to be a restructuring of the organization or is it going to be the end of the organization?
        Combatives training log.

        Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

        Drum thread

        Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.

        "Disliking someone is not evidence of wrongdoing or malfeasance or even bias." --Dung Beatles

        Comment


          #5
          My understanding is the bankruptcy is at the national level only.

          disclaimer

          Was in an earlier lifetime a Scout Master. Good way to get kids out of the city.

          further disclaimer

          Often broke the rules of driving to pick up all who needed a ride, most from single parent households to meetings and camps. Didn't have enough seat belts.
          Carter Hargrave's Jeet Can't Do

          http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=31636

          Comment


            #6
            Originally posted by Diesel_tke View Post
            So is this just going to be a restructuring of the organization or is it going to be the end of the organization?
            It is only a restructuring and only at the national level. BSA has long since operated with a decentralized leadership style. Each Unit(Troop or Pack) is its own organization responsible(ultimately for its own leadership) though chartered through a local council. Then there are the Councils which all operate independently of National with their own separate budgets ect. Local councils are ultimately responsible for background checks on volunteers and the safety of their camps. National itself was never much more than a big tent organization that would send inspectors to each camp to certify them(this was a one day visit), national also ran the National High Adventure camps.

            All that to say, I find it odd that National is being sued when the failures happened at a much lower level.
            Don't rely on theory if your life is at stake.

            "But now that you've anointed him as truthsayer, you'll be complicit with what happens when the next Jew comes here and is lambasted by an ultrasecular Rabbi" -W.Rabbit/Pship/Emily Dickinson/Earth Dragon/Self Proclaimed Editor Extraordinaire

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by Michael Tzadok View Post
              All that to say, I find it odd that National is being sued when the failures happened at a much lower level.
              Interesting point, but I suspect the consoles and especially the troops don't have deep enough pockets to get sued?

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by Michael Tzadok View Post

                No youth program is ever going to 100% safe from predators. No matter the safety protocols put in place.

                BSA, according to their own files, believes that from 1944 until 2016 there were just over 14k cases of child sexual abuse. In the same period 110million boys went through the Boy Scouts in what is essentially an all volunteer organization.

                Let me be clear, I think even one victim is one too many, however, the percentages are better than those enjoyed by most schools and other youth organizations.
                That really wouldn't be the sort of path I would have walked down on this topic.

                I would have gone something like recognise there is a problem and do everything we could to stop it.
                Whitsunday Martial Arts Airlie Beach North Queensland.
                http://www.facebook.com/#!/WhitsundayMartialArts

                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally posted by gregaquaman View Post

                  That really wouldn't be the sort of path I would have walked down on this topic.

                  I would have gone something like recognise there is a problem and do everything we could to stop it.
                  BSA has safety protocols in place, and have for over 30yrs that I am aware of, to prevent child abuse.
                  All adult volunteers have to be background checked.
                  Parents are to be encouraged to accompany their children.
                  No adult is allowed to be alone with children, there always has to be a minimum of 2 background checked volunteers.
                  All accusations are supposed to be immediately reported to the appropriate law enforcement authorities by anyone, whether youth or adult leadership, that they are reported to as well as to the charter organization and local council.
                  Then there are the ineligible volunteer files.
                  Then all the boys and adults have to twice yearly do anti-abuse training. Quite awkward videos that everyone had to watch every six months.
                  Then there was the victims relief fund that BSA set up...

                  I'm no sexual abuse expert, but to my knowledge they did far more to stop and/or prevent the problem than any other organization I've ever been a part of. So much so that I use their protocols in my current children's program and get accused of being too severe.

                  What got BSA sued, was them acknowledging the problem.
                  Don't rely on theory if your life is at stake.

                  "But now that you've anointed him as truthsayer, you'll be complicit with what happens when the next Jew comes here and is lambasted by an ultrasecular Rabbi" -W.Rabbit/Pship/Emily Dickinson/Earth Dragon/Self Proclaimed Editor Extraordinaire

                  Comment


                    #10
                    I guess peados are going to have to find some other way to exploit kids now the BSA and the Catholics are too obvious

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Originally posted by doofaloofa View Post
                      I guess peados are going to have to find some other way to exploit kids now the BSA and the Catholics are too obvious
                      Next up: clowns and ice cream trucks.
                      Combatives training log.

                      Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

                      Drum thread

                      Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.

                      "Disliking someone is not evidence of wrongdoing or malfeasance or even bias." --Dung Beatles

                      Comment

                      Collapse

                      Edit this module to specify a template to display.

                      Working...
                      X