Gender vs Sex; Nature vs Nurture

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bneterasedmynam View Post

The only problem Rousey really had in MMA, was her ego. It was epically fragile. If she had just stuck to her bread and butter of pulling arms off she would have remained champion. She was an idiot to try and box against Holm. It was ego. Then when she lost, instead of getting back on the horse she couldn't recover from the ego crash.
    She wasn't an idiot...she was groomed to be the face of female MMA but like I said... Wasn't quite able to keep up.
    '�I am no advocate of passivity,� Coffin Mott said in an 1860 speech. �Quakerism, as I understand it, does not mean quietism. The early Friends were agitators; disturbers of the peace; and were more obnoxious in their day to charges, which are now so freely made, than we are.�'

My Glossary: https://www.bullshido.net/forums/sho...d.php?t=129294

Comment

Originally posted by BKR View Post

Just more virtue signalling/white knighting (not by you).
      Nope just dispelling generalizations. Handily, I might add.

"Virtue signalling" accusations are for college frosh. We're not talking about value or ethics, the thread is about physical vs. psychological endurance, in empirical spaces.

It's not about girls beating boys at judo...
      '�I am no advocate of passivity,� Coffin Mott said in an 1860 speech. �Quakerism, as I understand it, does not mean quietism. The early Friends were agitators; disturbers of the peace; and were more obnoxious in their day to charges, which are now so freely made, than we are.�'

My Glossary: https://www.bullshido.net/forums/sho...d.php?t=129294

Comment

Right, put on your game face. Or war face as needed.

People do that regardless of gender/sex/etc.
        Quite right. I didn't mean that I'm female and therefore strong; I meant that I'm an adult, not a girl, and therefore can control myself. I suspect men are better socialized to do this than women, and also may have inherent biological advantages in this regard. I don't know. I'm not going to LARP as a developmental biologist.

Comment

Originally posted by AprilRains View Post
          Quite right. I didn't mean that I'm female and therefore strong; I meant that I'm an adult, not a girl, and therefore can control myself. I suspect men are better socialized to do this than women, and also may have inherent biological advantages in this regard. I don't know. I'm not going to LARP as a developmental biologist.
          I did not take your post that way, but, good clarification.

Right, LARPing is best left to the pros...
          Falling for Judo since 1980

"You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

"The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

"Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

Comment

Originally posted by Raycetpfl View Post
            google is your friend.
            Well if you cant back up your argument with evidence based studies we might as well all just call each other wanker and go home

would you rather move 12 ms before a punch lands or 12 ms after ?

OK, say you can move you head at the rate of 4' per second

How far are you going to move your head in 12ms

Clue; not very far

That 12ms is meaningless in any practical sense

So shut up

Now, whilst I accept that there are clear and obvious differences in anatomy that make males potentially more adept physically, I believe there is nurture at play also

Female athletes get the left overs when it comes to training resources

On a side note, I'd love to see a football soccer match between the USA mens and womens team.

Comment

Originally posted by doofaloofa View Post

Well if you cant back up your argument with evidence based studies we might as well all just call each other wanker and go home

Clue; not very far

So shut up

Now, whilst I accept that there are clear and obvious differences in anatomy that make males potentially more adept physically, I believe there is nurture at play also

On a side note, I'd love to see a football soccer match between the USA mens and womens team.
              Men would win.

I mean, a better match, apples to apples, would be the US Women's team versus the current men's world cup winners.

I think we both know how that would end up.

"You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

"The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

"Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

Comment

You can literally compare world records between men and women and see the difference.
                It is not a small difference.

Now, whilst I accept that there are clear and obvious differences in anatomy that make males potentially more adept physically,
                You mean like the fact that the gap between the high end of the female testosterone range and the low end of the male testosterone range is larger
                then the gap of a male on steroids vs a male not on steroids?

I believe there is nurture at play also
                Sure some, but you can look at runners, you don't think top female runners are working with the same level of resources as males?
                Males still dominate running.

Comment

I'm a better cook than my wife.
                  Carter Hargrave's Jeet Can't Do

http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=31636

Comment

Or she was tired of doing all the work it takes to be one of the best in the world and just wanted to have babies and count her millions.
                    she lost her drive and then lost her fight. Its not a coincidence she met her husband and then lost her fight. She only fought Amanda because they backed the brinks truck up to her house.
                    Very possible, although if true she chose an almost worse profession to replace MMA at least from a physical standpoint. Pro wrestling is incredibly hard on the body.

Comment

Originally posted by goodlun View Post

You can literally compare world records between men and women and see the difference.
                      It is not a small difference.

You mean like the fact that the gap between the high end of the female testosterone range and the low end of the male testosterone range is larger
                      then the gap of a male on steroids vs a male not on steroids?

Sure some, but you can look at runners, you don't think top female runners are working with the same level of resources as males?
                      Males still dominate running.
                      It goes beyond the testosterone, though.

And yeah, the data is available. Just not in rural Ireland. They don't have Internet yet.

There is always gonna be overlap between the two populations, but it won't be at the high performance tails of the distributions.

Marathons

This is a broad look.
                      https://www.runnersworld.com/uk/trai...n-finish-time/

This has world record specifics.
                      https://www.runnersworld.com/news/a2...-pacing-study/

Comment

It goes beyond the testosterone, though.

And yeah, the data is available. Just not in rural Ireland. They don't have Internet yet.

There is always gonna be overlap between the two populations, but it won't be at the high performance tails of the distributions.

Marathons

This is a broad look.
                        https://www.runnersworld.com/uk/trai...n-finish-time/

This has world record specifics.
                        https://www.runnersworld.com/news/a2...-pacing-study/
                        The gap p4p lower body strength for females vs males isn't as pronounced as the upper body gap, it still their.
                        Of course that gap grows quite a bit when the lower body muscles are specifically are being trained.

https://strengthlevel.com/strength-standards/squat/lb

Comment

Originally posted by goodlun View Post

The gap p4p lower body strength for females vs males isn't as pronounced as the upper body gap, it still their.
                          Of course that gap grows quite a bit when the lower body muscles are specifically are being trained.

https://strengthlevel.com/strength-standards/squat/lb
                          Right. The interesting thing is the interplay of pre-vs post vs in progress puberty for male-female trans. cases. Along with genetic potential for the specific sport being trained/competed at by said trans person.

It's a multidimensional problem to look at.

Because, a MTF trans might be competitive at some levels, but not at others, depending on different factors.

I don't think there is much concern with FTM trans. sports competition, AFAIK. Which is in itself telling...

Comment

or you could read up on the topic or you're not worth talking to. Maybe making fun of, but not taking seriously

Clue; not very far

So shut up
                            Have you ever been right about anything?

Humans are moving their body far faster than that.

No one in America gives a fuck about soccer except girls. Its essential a girls sport here. Men dont play softball either.

Wanna watch a basketball game? Mens allstar High school teams would beat women pros.

Comment

You can be terribly mean Rayce

Comment

I came for the Gender vs Nurture and Sex vs Nature.

Stupid sexy Grand Canyon just showing off like it doesn't know what it's doing.
                                "Pave the way for the little guy, Caligula!" Harry Solomon, September 28, 1999

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                                X