Gender vs Sex; Nature vs Nurture

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gender vs Sex; Nature vs Nurture

As this is a popular, recurring discussion topic I'm starting this thread primarily to lay out some basic explanations for the factors involved so that everyone can discuss it going forward from a more informed position; or in other words, less-fucking idiotic regurgitated bullshit from either side of the argument.

I'll be filling this OP in as things go, but for now I'm just posting a brief note that Gender and Sex are different things, the former determined by culture, the latter determined by biology; and that assholes who try to tell you otherwise are generally either deluded or pushing an agenda.

Start here:

https://quillette.com/2018/11/30/the...ution-deniers/

Good read, thanks.
    Falling for Judo since 1980

"You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

"The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

"Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

Comment

Honey Badger personality test (delete as appropriate)

Fuck it/Don't fuck it

Comment

Partly going to use this thread to curate the worst takes on this subject:
        Attached Files

Comment

Bloop
          Attached Files

Comment

lol sperg

Comment

I am not disputing the concepts of Sex as a Spectrum or Gender as a spectrum or the fact those two things are different.
              We create interesting problems for sure when we treat gender and sex as the same thing. Such as title ix issues that arise when we let gender dictate what sex people compete with.
              That in it self is full of a spectrum fairness. Some times is seems very appropriate and other times it seems to give someone a very unfair advantage.
              Of the single rapier fight between valiant men, having both skill, he that is the best wrestler, or if neither of them can wrestle, the strongest man most commonly kills the other, or leaves him at his mercy.
              –George Silver, Paradoxes of Defence

Comment

Forwarded the link to daughter #1 with a master's in social work. Good read.
                Carter Hargrave's Jeet Can't Do

http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=31636

Comment

Originally posted by Phrost View Post
                  Partly going to use this thread to curate the worst takes on this subject:
                  So, you might want to focus on people other than guys who run an online comedy website.
                  https://washingtonbabylon.com/worst-...oah-berlatsky/
                  Last edited by BKR; 2/17/2020 12:12pm, .
                  Falling for Judo since 1980

"You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

"The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

"Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

Comment

Originally posted by goodlun View Post
                    I am not disputing the concepts of Sex as a Spectrum or Gender as a spectrum or the fact those two things are different.
                    We create interesting problems for sure when we treat gender and sex as the same thing. Such as title ix issues that arise when we let gender dictate what sex people compete with.
                    That in it self is full of a spectrum fairness. Some times is seems very appropriate and other times it seems to give someone a very unfair advantage.
                    You mean, like, it's ok for someone who was born a woman to compete, because they probably don't have an advantage compared to someone who was born a male competing against females?

That seems to be the biggest argument, that I see. It's all fun and games until females have to compete against testosterone fueled dudes in sprints.
                    Combatives training log.

Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

Drum thread

Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.

"Disliking someone is not evidence of wrongdoing or malfeasance or even bias." --Dung Beatles

Comment

Originally posted by Diesel_tke View Post

You mean, like, it's ok for someone who was born a woman to compete, because they probably don't have an advantage compared to someone who was born a male competing against females?

That seems to be the biggest argument, that I see. It's all fun and games until females have to compete against testosterone fueled dudes in sprints.
                      The only thing that really comes to my mind where sex is more important than gender does seem to be sport, but I am sure that their has to be other things.

With sport it can be complicated:
                      You could have a transwoman that didn't go through puberty as a male, so that isn't likely to provide much advantage.
                      Then we can get into the complications of intersex athletes that have https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyperandrogenism
                      This is a good read on the topic:
                      https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sex_ve...tion_in_sports
                      Of the single rapier fight between valiant men, having both skill, he that is the best wrestler, or if neither of them can wrestle, the strongest man most commonly kills the other, or leaves him at his mercy.

Comment

Originally posted by Diesel_tke View Post

Bone structure has a lot to do with power generation.
                        A long torso makes you capable of more power generation.
                        bone size In the arms, tendon connection and hand size have a lot to do with power generation in punching. Most Boxing knockout artist have 8 in (or greater)wrists. Both Manny Pacquiao and George Foreman possess these.
                        Mens reaction times are also 12 ms faster on average. Thats huge.
                        Men are built to fight, women less so.
                        The Caucasian always has stronger strength and when comes to grappling, Caucasians mostly win easily. I do know grappling and if I used it on Asians my size, it works. - Kung Fu dude that got waxed at OneFc try out.

Comment

Originally posted by Raycetpfl View Post
                          LOL, says a man who's never pushed a 9 lb baby out of any hole.

Your idea of "fight" is primitive and naive, that's all.

Comment

Originally posted by Raycetpfl View Post

Bone structure has a lot to do with power generation.
                            A long torso makes you capable of more power generation.
                            bone size In the arms, tendon connection and hand size have a lot to do with power generation in punching. Most Boxing knockout artist have 8 in (or greater)wrists. Both Manny Pacquiao and George Foreman possess these.
                            Mens reaction times are also 12 ms faster on average. Thats huge.
                            Strength is not the only variable though

Is there any evidence to show males have better co-ordination or reflexes than females, or that males are more able to absorb technique

In nature female predatory pack animals are often better at hunting than males

Comment

Originally posted by doofaloofa View Post

Strength is not the only variable though

Is there any evidence to show males have better co-ordination or reflexes than females, or that males are more able to absorb technique

In nature female predatory pack animals are often better at hunting than males
                              Strength vs Technique is an interesting scale, and one we experience over and over again in training.
                              But it is not just strength I dislike the over reliance on people comparing strength.
                              Its total Athleticism.
                              I can deal with a person stronger than me grappling fairly easily even if we are at the same technical level.
                              I have a much harder time dealing with someone more athletic than me even if I am a lot more technical.

Men typically are over all pound 4 pound more athletic.
                              The key word is typically.
                              Especially if we are talking about the same diet & athletic routine.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X