Antique Road Show: USN Edition, 1980

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Antique Road Show: USN Edition, 1980

As an HR rep once told me, "change is difficult". With that in mind, I'm in the process of reducing my number of offices from 3 to 2. This is after successfully reducing the number of offices form 4 to 3 last year. Wasn't easy.

That said, my offices are packed with...lots of interesting stuff. And I'm trying to figure out the value of some of it to separate the junk from the good stuff.

I have what appears to be an original, possibly unique signed watercolor of what appear to be two submarine hunters, a 1954 P2-Neptune and a 1962 P-3 Orion. I'm having a really hard time tracking down the artist. I think this might be worth something, if not to my sons, maybe a local VFW bar. But if this is an original painting, wow.

I have art dealer contacts in NYC I could ask, but I wanted to give BS a first crack at this.

'“I am no advocate of passivity,” Coffin Mott said in an 1860 speech. “Quakerism, as I understand it, does not mean quietism. The early Friends were agitators; disturbers of the peace; and were more obnoxious in their day to charges, which are now so freely made, than we are.”'

My Glossary: https://www.bullshido.net/forums/sho...d.php?t=129294

I can ask around about it in my Navy circles, there are several artists...
    Being correct on the Internet is orders of magnitude easier than being correct in the Universe. Perhaps we should all concentrate more on the latter...

Comment

Couple of things I've noted so far:

- The copyright (c) is an actual ink stamp.
      - There's only a 3 month gap between the original signature and the autographed signature. Somebody painted this in January and signed it again in April, 1980.
      - The artist doesn't seem to be a famous one per se, but possibly an obscure graphic artist working for the Department of Defense?
      '“I am no advocate of passivity,” Coffin Mott said in an 1860 speech. “Quakerism, as I understand it, does not mean quietism. The early Friends were agitators; disturbers of the peace; and were more obnoxious in their day to charges, which are now so freely made, than we are.”'

Comment

I pushed out some inquiries, will let you know if anything turns up.
        Being correct on the Internet is orders of magnitude easier than being correct in the Universe. Perhaps we should all concentrate more on the latter...

Comment

Originally posted by submessenger View Post
          I pushed out some inquiries, will let you know if anything turns up.
          Thanks.

They are flying dangerously close to each other, right?

The Blue Angels keep a safer distance.

Comment

The Neptune has a larger wingspan, this is obviously a montage and not a photo-to-oil.

Comment

Working...
            X