Power Falcon 1961 Ford Falcon Hotrod project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BKR View Post

Some sort of good suspension upgrade, for sure. Not so tight as to be unpleasant, but def want to firm things up. Not sure what is available for that vehicle, tho.Maybe poly bushings, new ball joints, sway bar, etc.

Setting up suspension is kind of an art form. I'm no expert at all.

Assume it's manual steering, which would be a good thing. Don't want any play in the steering box, LOL.
    There's a sway bar on it now that is being replaced on Tuesday and there's 4 link suspension in the rear.

It is manual steering but according to a guy with one of these in Pennsylvania these cars came with a little play in the steering wheel and there is in mine. It's not a particularly agile beast and I will not be doing much high speed cornering in it unless I swap it out for the suspension from a fox body mustang, which is apparently a popular mod according to a couple of videos; said to greatly improve handling.

I had it up on a lift today and there is shockingly little rust under the car. I kinda felt like I hit the jackpot to be honest because most of the rust is in the cab. The rest of the car is rock solid.

Edit: the undercoat applied by the previous restorer is still good, if not great.

Comment

Ran in to a bit of a annoyance. Went to remove the seats, carpet and upholstery today to start the dull work of rust repair and the nuts holding the seats in have fused with/rusted to the bolts. Cut away what carpet I could with a sharp knife but the padding doesn't want to cut and I can't easily pull it out with the seats in.

I'm going to hot rod Kurt's house tomorrow, he said he's got a solution for that.

Comment

Originally posted by Dung Beatles View Post
        Ran in to a bit of a annoyance. Went to remove the seats, carpet and upholstery today to start the dull work of rust repair and the nuts holding the seats in have fused with/rusted to the bolts. Cut away what carpet I could with a sharp knife but the padding doesn't want to cut and I can't easily pull it out with the seats in.

I'm going to hot rod Kurt's house tomorrow, he said he's got a solution for that.
        WD40?

Comment

WD40.

Comment

Disk brakes on all four. The conversion kit isn't that expensive.
            Very smart man you are. Remember, your car only has a single circuit braking system.

In my Fantasyland of Obnoxious Engineers, that spells trouble if you don't have a backup.

So max out your braking options as much as possible, given the 61 Falcon's limited safety system. You've got one shot, do it well.

Comment

Originally posted by W. Rabbit View Post

WD40?
              Lubrication won't get that off. It partially disintegrated when I tried to turn it the first time. Now it's warped, stripped to all shit. My buddy's wife is out of town and my wife is going to stay with her sister in the morning so we'll have his well stocked garage to ourselves. Tomorrow will be a pretty productive day., I think. I should have picture updates of everything stripped out by tomorrow night and I'm guessing we'll have the bulk of the rust removal done and apply rust encapsulator by Sunday night.

Comment

Originally posted by W. Rabbit View Post

Just curious as to why, because I think it's a really, really good time.
                Fitting a coyote in things is not easy because of the dimensions due to 8 cylinder, DOH cam . Thats 90% percent of the reason LS swaps are so popular even across brands. An is LS one of the best engines ever made and it has small dimensions.
                Coyotes are nice but huge.

Comment

Originally posted by Raycetpfl View Post

Fitting a coyote in things is not easy because of the dimensions due to 8 cylinder, DOH cam . Thats 90% percent of the reason LS swaps are so popular even across brands. An is LS one of the best engines ever made and it has small dimensions.
                  Coyotes are nice but huge.
                  I would only know from test drives.

My Sunshine is a factory custom G5 (S197) 2005 GT.

She's trouble enough in the snow, let alone on wet asphalt.
                  Last edited by W. Rabbit; 2/16/2020 1:15am, .

Comment

[h=Power Falcon 1961 Ford Falcon Hotrod project]2[/h]2/13/2020 2:23pm,
                    The project as it stands now:

Addended 4x:

Repair list in no particular order
                    -exhaust (welded that shit today) sounds awesome and not so dirty.
                    -heater
                    -choke (repaired choke wire)
                    -defrost
                    -dome light
                    -weather strips/seals
                    -carpet
                    -horn (fell off the steering wheel when I touched it)
                    -stereo wiring ( the wiring/amp is confirmed good but the speaker cones are rotted out which I why I can't hear them)
                    -New speakers
                    -speedometer
                    -voltmeter
                    -gas gauge
                    -temperature gauge
                    -touch up on paint (paint was already in dire need but someone decided to key my fucking car through the car cover anyway. Can you believe that shit? I figure I know which neighborhood shit-head it was but...)
                    -Install camera in driveway
                    -paint on cabin ceiling
                    -Secure the shifter housing (for now)
                    -POR 15 on or inside every structural component I can reach
                    -Interior triage emergency. Car officially a biohazard. Found dead rat(s), rats nest under seats.
                    -God damn it; still pulls to the LEFT on brake. Not as bad as before but I'm ready to spit fire. This has been the most frustrating alignment I ever fucked with.

Needed parts

-seatbelts (there are none)
                    -headliner
                    -sound proofing/insulation in all body panels I can reach
                    -firewall
                    -car alarm/low jack
                    -door panel covers
                    -door window seals
                    -weather seals for both doors, hood, trunk
                    -antenna
                    -302 motor
                    -5 spd manual transmission (hate to do it but I'm taking this off. Not enough room stock without fabricating extra. Will try to install a better automatic though)
                    -gas cap
                    -front disc
                    -rear disc
                    -dome light cover
                    -ABS*
                    -racing seats because wife might drive it.
                    -steering wheel
                    -better tires
                    -5 lug rims (No longer necessary)
                    -Boost apparatus

Completed repairs:
                    Bearings, tie rods, idle arm, sway bar, bushings, alignment, tail lights, blinker mechanism repaired, temperature gauge, oil gauge.

Total spent so far on repairs: $681 dollars

Parts purchased/stolen/fabricated:
                    carpets
                    bearings
                    bushings
                    tie rods
                    weather seals
                    EVA insulation
                    Last edited by Dung Beatles; 2/20/2020 12:05am, .

Comment

Nice ! Wonder if you need to R&R the calipers and pads in front to even things up, plus or minus the rotors?

As you replaced suspension components...all tightened up and still tight?

Son 2 blew his middle driveshaft again, just a little mudding and a u joint from 1977...

Comment

Nice ! Wonder if you need to R&R the calipers and pads in front to even things up, plus or minus the rotors?

As you replaced suspension components...all tightened up and still tight?

Son 2 blew his middle driveshaft again, just a little mudding and a u joint from 1977...
                        Re-checked everything. It's still on tight.

Still on manual drum brakes. I said alignment but it's definitely the front brakes causing it to pull. My brain just equates everything to do with driving straight to alignment even though I know better. Still haven't upgraded to front disc brakes. I think I'm going to live with it until I change it to disks, it's not pulling as bad as it was before alignment but it still pulls.

Also found leaky seals on rear differential pumpkin. The rear end is nearing it's death spiral, so I'm going to keep fluid levels up and find a replacement.

Found a great resource list of cars that have suitable replacement parts for different stuff.

https://www.fordmuscleforums.com/thr.../#post-1358356
                        Last edited by Dung Beatles; 2/20/2020 12:06am, .

Comment

Re-checked everything. It's still on tight.

Still on manual drum brakes. I said alignment but it's definitely the front brakes causing it to pull. My brain just equates everything to do with driving straight to alignment even though I know better. Still haven't upgraded to front disk brakes. I think I'm going to live with it until I change it to disks, it's not pulling as bad as it was before alignment but it still pulls.

Also found leaky seals on rear differential pumpkin. The rear end is nearing it's death spiral, so I'm going to keep fluid levels up and find a replacement.

Found a great resource list of cars that have suitable replacement parts for different stuff.

https://www.fordmuscleforums.com/thr.../#post-1358356
                          Ah, sorry about that, I thought it already had front discs when you got it.

Front drums can get finicky. I had an old VW that was like that. I had to keep on them to keep them from pulling. Adjusting, leaks, fluid or oil/dust inside the drums, etc. I even changed out wheel cylinders that were not leaking and working to get ones that matched better on both sides.

Will you upgrade the rear end, or was it already done? Maybe a 9"?

Comment

Ah, sorry about that, I thought it already had front discs when you got it.

Front drums can get finicky. I had an old VW that was like that. I had to keep on them to keep them from pulling. Adjusting, leaks, fluid or oil/dust inside the drums, etc. I even changed out wheel cylinders that were not leaking and working to get ones that matched better on both sides.

Will you upgrade the rear end, or was it already done? Maybe a 9"?

I'm just going to get a new front and rear suspension, probably get a new transmission while I'm at it. I know some collectors like to keep everything stock but there just aren't enough parts around to make that practical or safe. If I'm not careful that rear end will go out and I'll have a 2000lb car shaped paperweight on my hands.

Comment

Addended 5x:

Repair list in no particular order
                              -heater
                              -choke (repaired choke wire)
                              -defrost
                              -dome light
                              -weather strips/seals
                              -carpet
                              -horn (fell off the steering wheel when I touched it)
                              -New speakers
                              -speedometer
                              -voltmeter
                              -gas gauge
                              -touch up on paint (paint was already in dire need but someone decided to key my fucking car through the car cover anyway. Can you believe that shit? I figure I know which neighborhood shit-head it was but...)
                              -Install camera in driveway
                              -paint on cabin ceiling
                              -Secure the shifter housing (for now)
                              -POR 15 on or inside every structural component I can reach
                              -Interior triage emergency. Car officially a biohazard. Found dead rat(s), rats nest under seats.
                              -God damn it; still pulls to the LEFT on brake. Not as bad as before but I'm ready to spit fire. This has been the most frustrating alignment I ever fucked with.

Needed parts

-seatbelts (there are none)
                              -headliner
                              -sound proofing/insulation in all body panels I can reach
                              -firewall
                              -car alarm/low jack
                              -door panel covers
                              -door window seals
                              -weather seals for both doors, hood, trunk
                              -antenna
                              -302 motor
                              -5 spd manual transmission (hate to do it but I'm taking this off. Not enough room stock without fabricating extra. Will try to install a better automatic though)
                              -gas cap
                              -front disk
                              -rear disk
                              -dome light cover
                              -ABS*
                              -racing seats because wife might drive it.
                              -steering wheel
                              -5 lug rims (No longer necessary)
                              -Boost apparatus

Completed repairs:

Wheel bearings
                              tie rods
                              idle arm
                              sway bar
                              bushings
                              alignment
                              tail lights
                              blinker mechanism repaired
                              temperature gauge
                              oil gauge
                              exhaust

Total spent so far on repairs: $681 dollars

Parts purchased/stolen/fabricated:
                              carpets
                              bearings
                              bushings
                              tie rods
                              weather seals
                              EVA insulation
                              POR15
                              Last edited by Dung Beatles; 2/20/2020 12:03am, .

Comment

I'm just going to get a new front and rear suspension, probably get a new transmission while I'm at it. I know some collectors like to keep everything stock but there just aren't enough parts around to make that practical or safe. If I'm not careful that rear end will go out and I'll have a 2000 lb car shaped paperweight on my hands.
                                With the power upgrade you anticipate, all great ideas.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                                X