Power Falcon 1961 Ford Falcon Hotrod project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BKR View Post

Some sort of good suspension upgrade, for sure. Not so tight as to be unpleasant, but def want to firm things up. Not sure what is available for that vehicle, tho.Maybe poly bushings, new ball joints, sway bar, etc.

Setting up suspension is kind of an art form. I'm no expert at all.

Assume it's manual steering, which would be a good thing. Don't want any play in the steering box, LOL.
    There's a sway bar on it now that is being replaced on Tuesday and there's 4 link suspension in the rear.

It is manual steering but according to a guy with one of these in Pennsylvania these cars came with a little play in the steering wheel and there is in mine. It's not a particularly agile beast and I will not be doing much high speed cornering in it unless I swap it out for the suspension from a fox body mustang, which is apparently a popular mod according to a couple of videos; said to greatly improve handling.

I had it up on a lift today and there is shockingly little rust under the car. I kinda felt like I hit the jackpot to be honest because most of the rust is in the cab. The rest of the car is rock solid.

Edit: the undercoat applied by the previous restorer is still good, if not great.
    "Pave the way for the little guy, Caligula!" Harry Solomon, September 28, 1999

Comment

Ran in to a bit of a annoyance. Went to remove the seats, carpet and upholstery today to start the dull work of rust repair and the nuts holding the seats in have fused with/rusted to the bolts. Cut away what carpet I could with a sharp knife but the padding doesn't want to cut and I can't easily pull it out with the seats in.

I'm going to hot rod Kurt's house tomorrow, he said he's got a solution for that.

Comment

Originally posted by Dung Beatles View Post
        Ran in to a bit of a annoyance. Went to remove the seats, carpet and upholstery today to start the dull work of rust repair and the nuts holding the seats in have fused with/rusted to the bolts. Cut away what carpet I could with a sharp knife but the padding doesn't want to cut and I can't easily pull it out with the seats in.

I'm going to hot rod Kurt's house tomorrow, he said he's got a solution for that.
        WD40?
        '“I am no advocate of passivity,” Coffin Mott said in an 1860 speech. “Quakerism, as I understand it, does not mean quietism. The early Friends were agitators; disturbers of the peace; and were more obnoxious in their day to charges, which are now so freely made, than we are.”'

My Glossary: https://www.bullshido.net/forums/sho...d.php?t=129294

Comment

WD40.

'“I am no advocate of passivity,” Coffin Mott said in an 1860 speech. “Quakerism, as I understand it, does not mean quietism. The early Friends were agitators; disturbers of the peace; and were more obnoxious in their day to charges, which are now so freely made, than we are.”'

Comment

Disk brakes on all four. The conversion kit isn't that expensive.
            Very smart man you are. Remember, your car only has a single circuit braking system.

In my Fantasyland of Obnoxious Engineers, that spells trouble if you don't have a backup.

So max out your braking options as much as possible, given the 61 Falcon's limited safety system. You've got one shot, do it well.

Comment

Originally posted by W. Rabbit View Post

WD40?
              Lubrication won't get that off. It partially disintegrated when I tried to turn it the first time. Now it's warped, stripped to all shit. My buddy's wife is out of town and my wife is going to stay with her sister in the morning so we'll have his well stocked garage to ourselves. Tomorrow will be a pretty productive day., I think. I should have picture updates of everything stripped out by tomorrow night and I'm guessing we'll have the bulk of the rust removal done and apply rust encapsulator by Sunday night.

Comment

Originally posted by W. Rabbit View Post

Just curious as to why, because I think it's a really, really good time.
                Fitting a coyote in things is not easy because of the dimensions due to 8 cylinder, DOH cam . Thats 90% percent of the reason LS swaps are so popular even across brands. An is LS one of the best engines ever made and it has small dimensions.
                Coyotes are nice but huge.
                The Caucasian always has stronger strength and when comes to grappling, Caucasians mostly win easily. I do know grappling and if I used it on Asians my size, it works. - Kung Fu dude that got waxed at OneFc try out.

Comment

Originally posted by Raycetpfl View Post

Fitting a coyote in things is not easy because of the dimensions due to 8 cylinder, DOH cam . Thats 90% percent of the reason LS swaps are so popular even across brands. An is LS one of the best engines ever made and it has small dimensions.
                  Coyotes are nice but huge.
                  I would only know from test drives.

My Sunshine is a factory custom G5 (S197) 2005 GT.

She's trouble enough in the snow, let alone on wet asphalt.
                  Last edited by W. Rabbit; 2/16/2020 2:15am, .

Comment

Working...
                  X