Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by submessenger View Post

LOL. I won't tell her if you won't.
    I have been secretly insuring that every car she drives has a 5 star safety crash rating since she she pulled a 180 on the interstate in her Mazda Eclipse in law school. I'm not exaggerating. She once hit a train. Not the train hit her, she hit the train. It was stopped. I still don't know how.
    "Pave the way for the little guy, Caligula!" Harry Solomon, September 28, 1999

Comment

Originally posted by Dung Beatles View Post

I have been secretly insuring that every car she drives has a 5 star safety crash rating since she she pulled a 180 on the interstate in her Mazda Eclipse in law school. I'm not exaggerating. She once hit a train. Not the train hit her, she hit the train. It was stopped. I still don't know how.
      Add "roll cage" to your list.
      Being correct on the Internet is orders of magnitude easier than being correct in the Universe. Perhaps we should all concentrate more on the latter...

Comment

Add "roll cage" to your list.
        It's tempting but she doesn't understand car culture and might lead an insurrection against the project.

I have never been driving during an accident and I haven't gotten a ticket since 2003 (when I was ticketed for staying in the passing lane in Minnesota), but she's convinced I'm going to kill myself in a hot rod one of these days so I can't let the car look too much like a speed machine.

Ironically, she scares the life out of everyone, except her family, when she's behind the wheel.

Her father has not driven a car since the 90s, her mother has never had a driver's license. That's what working class people are for.

Thankfully, she doesn't know anything about cars either so I can do almost anything under the hood that I want but If I install too much safety equipment she might, oblivious to irony, start thinking the car is unsafe. She is still mystified that people paid good money for old cars. She never understood my business.

They're old so therefore they must be bad. When she told her folks I sold old cars, they literally thought I was running some kind of junkyard.

Edit: if a roll cage is going in it, then I might need to wait until it's dead last.

Comment

I like the idea of the smaller V8 (302). I mean, 300 HP in that light vehicle will be lots of fun. And 300 is easily doable in a non-emissions vehicle.Why make it tough to fit the engine into the frame if you don't have to.
          Falling for Judo since 1980

"You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

"The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

"Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

Comment

Originally posted by BKR View Post
            I like the idea of the smaller V8 (302). I mean, 300 HP in that light vehicle will be lots of fun. And 300 is easily doable in a non-emissions vehicle.Why make it tough to fit the engine into the frame if you don't have to.
            This car will move like a rocket at 300HP. I might start thinking about downforce for braking TBH.

Comment

Because FREEDOM!

Being correct on the Internet is orders of magnitude easier than being correct in the Universe. Perhaps we should all concentrate more on the latter...

Comment

The idea is to make it look and feel like something any guy can build in his garage using off the rack parts and, because I'm cheap and see this as an investment, I don't want to spend more than $1500 on the motor including installation.

Collectors generally don't care and prefer older to newer as long as it's in good shape.
                When it's done post drag times as well as pics. Is your plan to sell it for profit or keep it as a trophy??

Comment

Originally posted by Bneterasedmynam View Post

When it's done post drag times as well as pics. Is your plan to sell it for profit or keep it as a trophy??
                  I'm definitely keeping it. I might consider trading it for something but outright sale (as long as I live) is unlikely.

Edit: It's the principle. After it's finished I'll probably ask my wife to bequeath it to her niece. Maybe my sister in Texas.
                  Last edited by Dung Beatles; 2/13/2020 8:42pm, .

Comment

I'm definitely keeping it. I might consider trading it for something but outright sale (as long as I live) is unlikely.

Edit: It's the principle. After it's finished I'll probably ask my wife to bequeath it to her niece. Maybe my sister in Texas.
                    Bravo. This is a very lost tradition, handing down well-preserved cars to youngins. Cars have become so disposable.

My 2005 GT is still under 100,000 miles. and according to my 12 year old it's a "shitty" Mustang, and he gets his information from his 12 year old "car guy friends".

He still hasn't realized by the time he's old enough to drive, Sunshine will be all he's allowed to drive. ><
                    '“I am no advocate of passivity,” Coffin Mott said in an 1860 speech. “Quakerism, as I understand it, does not mean quietism. The early Friends were agitators; disturbers of the peace; and were more obnoxious in their day to charges, which are now so freely made, than we are.”'

My Glossary: https://www.bullshido.net/forums/sho...d.php?t=129294

Comment

This car will move like a rocket at 300HP. I might start thinking about downforce for braking TBH.
                      Yeah, light weight makes a big difference. I had a Baja Bug I built right after high school. It was stripped down pretty well. I think it weight 1800 lbs with a tank of gas and me in it.

Built a mild 1897cc stroker motor for it, with a close ratio 3rd to 4th gear ratio.

Fuck me, it was scary fast. It would get to 110 mph and then start to go airborne, LOL.

You are going with 4 wheel disc brakes ? Or just YUGE ones in front?

"You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

"The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

"Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

Comment

Some sort of good suspension upgrade, for sure. Not so tight as to be unpleasant, but def want to firm things up. Not sure what is available for that vehicle, tho.Maybe poly bushings, new ball joints, sway bar, etc.

Setting up suspension is kind of an art form. I'm no expert at all.

Assume it's manual steering, which would be a good thing. Don't want any play in the steering box, LOL.

Comment

Because FREEDOM!

AOC just had a heart attack.

"Cleetus"...lol

Comment

Weird...I'm subscribed to this thread, but didn't get any notifications regarding Beaker's last three posts.

edit: ahhh weird! I got auto-unsubscribed from at least a couple threads including this one..
                            ​​
                            '“I am no advocate of passivity,” Coffin Mott said in an 1860 speech. “Quakerism, as I understand it, does not mean quietism. The early Friends were agitators; disturbers of the peace; and were more obnoxious in their day to charges, which are now so freely made, than we are.”'

My Glossary: https://www.bullshido.net/forums/sho...d.php?t=129294

Comment

Originally posted by W. Rabbit View Post
                              Weird...I'm subscribed to this thread, but didn't get any notifications regarding Beaker's last three posts.

edit: ahhh weird! I got auto-unsubscribed from at least a couple threads including this one..
                              ​​
                              Sub has been updating stuff, may have happened in that process for some reason.

Comment

Yeah, light weight makes a big difference. I had a Baja Bug I built right after high school. It was stripped down pretty well. I think it weight 1800 lbs with a tank of gas and me in it.

Built a mild 1897cc stroker motor for it, with a close ratio 3rd to 4th gear ratio.

Fuck me, it was scary fast. It would get to 110 mph and then start to go airborne, LOL.

You are going with 4 wheel disc brakes ? Or just YUGE ones in front?
                                Disk brakes on all four. The conversion kit isn't that expensive.

Comment

Working...
                                X