Why the hate?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dr. Gonzo View Post

The current generation in the U.S. is so much wealthier and with a higher real standard of living than the previous generations, it is ridiculous.

The global economy and technology advances made their purchasing power of most consumer goods much, much higher.

And this generation takes modern luxuries for granted that the previous generation, including the richest members, simply did not have.

Not to mention that availability of information, free educational content, etc, etc.

Advances in medicines, and lowered prices of over the counter medicines and prescription medicines for all but the newest developed drugs (which did not previously exist anyway) have greatly improved the health management and longevity of even the poorest populations in the U.S.

This is the richest generation there has ever been in U.S. history, across the poorest classes, the middle class, and the richest classes.

You're nuts.
    So you are saying the only reason we have technological and social progress is because of the extreme wealth inequalities that exist in society?

But does this generation really have a better standard of living than the last?

Love to see the evidence for that

Do you enjoy more leisure time than your dad did?

Have you a job for life like in the 40's and 50's?

Sure, we can now buy loads of stuff made by poorly paid people in other countries like China. Great!

This generation may have more money, but how much was a litre of petrol in 1960? or a loaf of bread? or a pint of beer?

The Baby Boomers had it best and they've pissed it all away

Comment

Originally posted by goodlun View Post
      They just don't know how to live with in their means.
      You would be surprised at how little money someone can live on, and still have food, shelter, hobbies, and sanity.
      Can't afford rent, you lower your rent by having more roommates.
      If that means literal roommates where your sharing a room than so be it, its what you do.
      People are unwilling to suck up the pain in the short term in order to get themselves setup for the long term.
      When I first graduated college, I had a gap where I couldn't find a good job. But I was entry level and expected it. It takes time. So, I was working at the game center in the mall, I was bouncing at a club, and on an event set up crew. I lived in a two bedroom apartment with 3 other people. We had two beds in each room. Everything worked just fine. I also used to go to a local strip club for lunch a couple times a week because they had wings, celery, and carrots during happy hour. I would order a coke, eat, watch boobs and then go to work.

Life was just fine even though I didn't have fancy shit that other people had. I wasn't raised to aspire to that stuff. I was raised to aspire to be self sufficient. So, in my mind I was successful.
      Combatives training log.

Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

Drum thread

Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.

"Disliking someone is not evidence of wrongdoing or malfeasance or even bias." --Dung Beatles

Comment

Its not 40 - 50% of Everything, its of assets, and most those assets are stocks. Wealth isn't a 0 sum game hence why GDP can grow every year. What are you crying about? What is it you want that you can not have? That your parents had?
        real Estate is the tricky thing where I live but that has more to do with supply and demand vs what people think it is.
        I'm doing OK myself

Own my own hose and farm mortgage free (no inheritances)

have a comfortable life style and own my own means of production

It's the folk at the bottom of the pile that need a bit of wealth redistribution IMO

Comment

Originally posted by AprilRains View Post

Most people will not be in the top 1%? Really? Gosh.
          Yeah dude

It's called Maths!

Comment

Originally posted by doofaloofa View Post
            It's the folk at the bottom of the pile that need a bit of wealth redistribution IMO
            Sure? But the the Billionaires only make up around 9% of the total GDP of the US, its not as deep of a well people think it is to go to, to fund all the programs people think they can fund.

I still am of the mind:

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.
            So I suspect the best redistribution would be all property tax to go into the same lock box for education and have a more even distribution to our public education.
            Even then the rich will still do better fund raising for their schools.
            Breaking the cycle of poverty is difficult.......

​​​​​​​
            Of the single rapier fight between valiant men, having both skill, he that is the best wrestler, or if neither of them can wrestle, the strongest man most commonly kills the other, or leaves him at his mercy.
            George Silver, Paradoxes of Defence

Comment

Sure? But the the Billionaires only make up around 9% of the total GDP of the US, its not as deep of a well people think it is to go to, to fund all the programs people think they can fund.

I still am of the mind:

So I suspect the best redistribution would be all property tax to go into the same lock box for education and have a more even distribution to our public education.
              Even then the rich will still do better fund raising for their schools.
              Breaking the cycle of poverty is difficult.......
              I for one do not in any way want or expect a redistribution of wealth, that's to me total bullshit. What I do want is for the billionaires and mega corps to PAY THEIR FUCKING FAIR SHARE OF GODDAMN TAXES. It's bullshit that I pay more in taxes than motherfucking GE. It's also bullshit that the playing field isn't level due to the unchecked bribes given to our so called leaders. I couldn't give two shits how rich anyone wants to be, but only if it's an even fair game and currently it isn't.

Comment

Originally posted by Bneterasedmynam View Post

I for one do not in any way want or expect a redistribution of wealth, that's to me total bullshit. What I do want is for the billionaires and mega corps to PAY THEIR FUCKING FAIR SHARE OF GODDAMN TAXES. It's bullshit that I pay more in taxes than motherfucking GE. It's also bullshit that the playing field isn't level due to the unchecked bribes given to our so called leaders. I couldn't give two shits how rich anyone wants to be, but only if it's an even fair game and currently it isn't.
                I 100% agree with the bolded part for sure
                Of the single rapier fight between valiant men, having both skill, he that is the best wrestler, or if neither of them can wrestle, the strongest man most commonly kills the other, or leaves him at his mercy.

Comment

Oh and to use your "teach a man to fish" analogy he still starves because megafish inc. has bribed the local city council for rights to build a damn that will dry up the local river so as to secure all fishing in the area. They'll gain a .0000000000000002% in profit so it's cool that your theoretical fisherman starves.

Comment

I actually sort of thought the whole sales tax over income tax idea might have worked a bit better, but part of me thinks there would be some loophole in it somewhere.

Comment

It will never happen, Hilary has a better chance of ending up as Trumps concubine.

Comment

I actually sort of thought the whole sales tax over income tax idea might have worked a bit better, but part of me thinks there would be some loophole in it somewhere.
                        Sales tax tend to impact the poor more.

Comment

That might be true, but at least everyone would have to pay, illegal immigrants included. I feel like tax law should be simplified, have ZERO loopholes, and apply evenly across the board.

Comment

Got to thinking about this and I'm not sure this would be true in an even for all set up. Taxes on Ferraris and gold plated yachts has to run pretty high. Especially if there weren't any loopholes to exploit. I mean hell it has to be better than the ZERO currently being paid.

Comment

Got to thinking about this and I'm not sure this would be true in an even for all set up. Taxes on Ferraris and gold plated yachts has to run pretty high. Especially if there weren't any loopholes to exploit. I mean hell it has to be better than the ZERO currently being paid.
                              Than aren’t doing basic math very well

Comment

That might be true, but at least everyone would have to pay, illegal immigrants included. I feel like tax law should be simplified, have ZERO loopholes, and apply evenly across the board.
                                Illegal Immigrants tend to pay taxes, and a lot of tem as its risky to file for a return.
                                Sales tax is a regressive tax. The poor will be hit a lot harder than the rich, you think Billionaires don't pay their fair share now? Oh boy wait till they pay even less. Most Billionaires are not spending a lot, hell some have serious liquidity issues, though not boo hoo serious. Recall Billionaires only make up 9% of GDP, and tgat is with most of their wealth tied up in assets. Who do you think is spending all the money? Its not the rich.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                                X