martial artists and musicians

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

martial artists and musicians

I am just curious if anyone out there plays music as well as practices martial arts. Do you have difficulty scheduling time for both? What do you play? Do you play with a group? Have you had to use your skills to protect you and your instrument? Do you have samples of your music?

I am a musician. That is where my nick comes from. My band's name is Empty Hands. I am the guitar player for this band. We play hard rock music ala 7 mary 3 or sevendust or tool. I know I am flamebait for this but if you want to hear what we sound like, you can listen at our website @ http://www.emptyhands.net or http://www.myspace.com/EmptyHands .

Luckily I haven't had to worry about getting jumped after a show, but in a previous band I was in the drummer, and lead singer got stomped by a couple of marines who were pissed that these girl were paying attention to my bandmates and not them.

Just wondering if any other musicians are out there.

Ja

Rei

I used to play trumpet for a surf rock band, then a gypsy jazz trio for a while before starting martial arts. I pretty much stopped playing entirely once all the band members moved away/went to college and never came back and haven't really played at all since. I also produced electronic music for a while but haven't really stuck with that either.

With how much time I put into training I can't see having enough energy or motivation to do both, but I'm lazy and very singularly minded. There are people that work full time, go to school full time and still manage to train regularly so I know it's doable to do both martial arts and practice music.

Comment

Do any famous musicians besides James Maynard Keating practice martial arts?

Edit: Sorry Keenan, I thought he was Irish.

Comment

Elvis.

Comment

Originally posted by Meager
          Elvis.
          HAH!

And a couple of b-list celebrities that show up every now and then in kung fu magazine... I've been playing classical piano for a good 14 years. My dad freaked out when I told him I did finger-pushups three times a week at kung fu, he thought it would ruin my hands. It has actually had quite the opposite effect! If your kung fu is strong, your piano fu will be strong too!

Comment

I play Bass, Guitar, Drums and sing. Im in 2 bands.

http://www.angelfire.com/band2/defekt10/main.html

Comment

Danzig is a JKD guy and it shows.

You'll have to use the search function to find that on your own time.

Comment

Here are acouple of MP3's to Download

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page...?bandID=246014

The second one is the better one.
                Last edited by Cuchulain; 6/27/2006 5:10pm, .

Comment

Originally posted by kungfujew
                  HAH!

And a couple of b-list celebrities that show up every now and then in kung fu magazine... I've been playing classical piano for a good 14 years. My dad freaked out when I told him I did finger-pushups three times a week at kung fu, he thought it would ruin my hands. It has actually had quite the opposite effect! If your kung fu is strong, your piano fu will be strong too!
                  Martial Arts and Philosophy: Beating and Nothingness
                  click here to order on Amazon

Comment

I should really REALLY know what you're quoting here. Enlighten me, my brain be a fartin'.

Comment

Bad (very bad) acoustic blues guitar player.

Comment

Borked my knee about a year ago, somewhere along the line I picked up guitar, then switched to bass. Now I'm contemplating which one I would rather learn, since I won't have time for both + MA.

Comment

I'm kind of forced to play music at capoeira. Which is unlucky, because I don't have a musical bone in my body. On the upside, I'm getting better at singing and clapping out a different rhythym at the same time.

Comment

I write progressive house music and have a few releases on various labels. You can see some critique of my work at this site. http://www.progressive-sounds.com/Mu...re-Di-Voci.asp

I actually started BJJ, because I had become jaded in the music industry and needed another pass time to pursue. My whole life I've always wanted to learn a martial art, and since now I have the time and the money, I decided to take BJJ. Originally I wanted to do Aikido for the last 7 years. I quickly changed my mind after finding this site. Even though last night I had my elbow hyper extended and my left arm is pretty useless right now, I still can't wait to get back in and train.
                            Last edited by drew-jitsu; 6/27/2006 8:15pm, .

Comment

Originally posted by odacon
                              Do any famous musicians besides James Maynard Keating practice martial arts?

Edit: Sorry Keenan, I thought he was Irish.
                              Dave Mustaine trains with Benny "the Jet" Urquidez

ja

Rei

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X