A question for the folks who condition their shins

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A question for the folks who condition their shins

I was wondering if conditioning my shins would have any effect on shin splints. I need to work on my cardio, but I have shin splints so I have to be veeeeeery careful about where, how, and how hard I train or I'll aggravate them. I can't just start doing interval and hill training which is what I want to do. It would take me weeks to build up to where I'm actually getting a cardio workout. I was just thinking last night that maybe if I conditioned my shins like you MT fighters I would not only get the benefit of being able to kick with my shins without dropping myself in the process, but it might toughen them up so that my shin splints didn't flare up any more. What do you think?

Shin splints suck.

I doubt conditioning your shins will do anything for them.

Among other possibilities, it could be compartment syndrome. You may want to consult an orthopedist.

Get a D.A.R.D. It works for me - when I'm not lazy. :smile:
    Calm down, it's only ones and zeros.
    "Your calm and professional manner of response is really draining all the fun out of this. Can you reply more like Dr. Fagbot or something? Call me some names, mention some sand in my vagina or something of the sort. You can't expect me to come up with reasonable arguments man!" -- MaverickZ

"Tom Kagan spins in his grave and the fucking guy isn't even dead yet." -- Snake Plissken

My Bullshido fan club threads:
    Tom Kagan's a big hairy...
    Tom Kagan can lick my BALLS
    Tom Kagan teaches _ing __un and bigotry?
    Tom Kagan: Serious discussion here
    Lamokio asks the burning question is Tom Kagan a pussy or just cruising for some
    I'm Dave the gay Kickboxer from Manchester and I have the hots for Tom Kagan
    TOM KAGAN, OPEN ME, THE MKT ARE COMING FOR YOU ! ARE YOU MAN ENOUGH TO MEET ?
    ATTN TOM KAGAN
    World Dominator 'Kagan' in plot to lie about real Kung Fu and Martial Arts
    Tom Kagan just gave me my third negative rep in a day
    I am infatuated with Tom Kagan
    Tom Kagan is a fat balding white guy.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Kagan
      Shin splints suck.

I doubt conditioning your shins will do anything for them.

Among other possibilities, it could be compartment syndrome. You may want to consult an orthopedist.

Get a D.A.R.D. It works for me - when I'm not lazy. :smile:

Compartment Syndrome? Never heard of it. I'll check it out.

Dard? Interesting...

Thanks!

Comment

TK, that's an excellent device. It trully goes to the heart of the matter (strenghtening the ankle and shins).

Beat, shin splins is mainly caused by a weak shin muscle relative to the calf. It's a muscular inbalance AND a case of inflexibility first and foremost. I don't understand the nitty gritty details, but this muscular inbalance and the inflexibility of it that puts a lot of stress on the shin muscle and can even cause inflamation on the ligaments that attach the tibial anterior (the shin muscle) to the tibia (the shin bone)

Check out the following URL : http://www.exrx.net/Articulations/Ankle.html

In particular, pay attention to what that page says about 'dorsiflexion inflexibility'. If you can get the D.A.R.D, better, but if not, try something like reverse calf presses (the animated clip on the lower right corner at the URL above shows you how.) However, the D.A.R.D. or similar devices may be a much better way to go to deal with weak shins.

You still need to stretch your shins, though. Another thing that I've found useful is to do leg presses or rope skipping barefoot.

Hope it helps.

Comment

Originally posted by El Macho
          or rope skipping barefoot.

Barefoot? Really? I try to jump rope for 15 minutes before every Kung Fu class, but I never even considered doing it barefoot. I bring running shoes to class just for use while warming up. What are the benefits of doing it barefoot?

Thanks for the advice.

Comment

Well, the thing about shoes is that they make the feet comfortable, and indeed provide protection to the soles as well as protection against cold surfaces for children (so that they don't get a cold or flu). However, a lifetime of wearing shoes weaken the bones, ligaments and articulations of the feet and ankles.

For example, Kenyan and Ethiopian runners train barefoot. Children that grow up barefoot (or mostly barefoot) also tend to have stronger feet and ankles in adulthood. Once we become adults, it's unreasonable to try to re-learn how to run barefoot on dirt or pavement. But doing some exercises barefoot on a padded/soft surface is a good way to go.

I forgot to mention that I also do machine calf raises barefoot in addition to skipping and leg presses. I would never do the same with squats, though. That would be too dangerous since shoes provide a better, firmer "grip" of my feet on the surface. The last thing I would want is to slip with a loaded barbell on my back :dead:

In your class, if you can warm up by jogging indoors, I would try doing it barefoot just to get a feeling for it. Just remember to stretch and warm up your ankles, calves and shins first.

ps... I remember reading a while back ago an article where scientists were comparing the foot bones of ancient skeletons vs modern people, and they did notice a weakening of those bones starting with the invention of footweark and peaking when footwear became widely available.

Comment

Originally posted by El Macho
              For example, Kenyan and Ethiopian runners train barefoot. Children that grow up barefoot (or mostly barefoot) also tend to have stronger feet and ankles in adulthood. Once we become adults, it's unreasonable to try to re-learn how to run barefoot on dirt or pavement. But doing some exercises barefoot on a padded/soft surface is a good way to go.
              This is the reason several segments of the U.S. military run in boots (Marines, SEALs, various Army units). You run in boots, your feet get tougher and consequently you can handle more punishment.

Comment

Originally posted by Hitman
                This is the reason several segments of the U.S. military run in boots (Marines, SEALs, various Army units). You run in boots, your feet get tougher and consequently you can handle more punishment.

I was gonna say that I never had any of these problems running when I was in the Marines. I could run 7 miles on the tank trails of Camp Lejeune in boots no problem. Now, if I did 5 miles with my $130 running shoes on I wouldn't be able to walk right for a week. WTF!!!

Comment

I tend to only train barefoot. I've run barefoot on concrete for a mile or so but it about kills my feet when I'm done (you HAVE to stay on the balls of your feet or your screwed, if you let your heel hit with any pressure it will hurt worse). I try to run on grass if I run barefoot.

Comment

Originally posted by Beaton Yu
                    I was gonna say that I never had any of these problems running when I was in the Marines. I could run 7 miles on the tank trails of Camp Lejeune in boots no problem. Now, if I did 5 miles with my $130 running shoes on I wouldn't be able to walk right for a week. WTF!!!
                    You stopped running in boots. That's why :tongue3: Shins are notorious for getting weak real fast, specially as we age. You gotta be on top of'em motherfuckers.

Originally posted by Shaolinz
                    I tend to only train barefoot. I've run barefoot on concrete for a mile or so but it about kills my feet when I'm done (you HAVE to stay on the balls of your feet or your screwed, if you let your heel hit with any pressure it will hurt worse). I try to run on grass if I run barefoot.
                    Running on grass is great. When I was doing shotokan, the instructor would make us run on grass every other week. That's one of the few things I liked from that time.

Comment

What kind of moron runs barefoot on concrete? As said, grass is good, so is sand. Running on concrete is BEGGING for problems.

Comment

Originally posted by War Phalange
                        What kind of moron runs barefoot on concrete? As said, grass is good, so is sand. Running on concrete is BEGGING for problems.
                        Agreed,

Comment

Originally posted by Beaton Yu
                          Barefoot? Really? I try to jump rope for 15 minutes before every Kung Fu class, but I never even considered doing it barefoot. I bring running shoes to class just for use while warming up. What are the benefits of doing it barefoot?

Thanks for the advice.
                          It conditions your toes!

Comment

I don't think I've jump roped with shoes on since I started training martial arts. I remember I went to a boxing gym in town and they looked at me wierd when I showed up in sandals and trained barefoot.

Comment

Originally posted by War Phalange
                              A moron like the one below:

That's Olympic Gold Medalist Abebe Bikila, who won the 1960's Olympic marathon in Rome. Other famous athletes that ran barefoot were Bruce Tulloh and Zola Budd. Man, most of my friends in childhood played soccer barefoot. Have you ever tried kicking a 1lbs hard soccer ball barefeet? That's a feat I could never do.

Don't get me wrong. Shoes are a great invention, BUT they come with a price.

Running on concrete is not begging for problems. It's just like running on hard soil, which millions of people do every day. Well, it can be begging for problem if you decide to run 1 mile tomorrow on barefoot - you got to retrain yourself again. We have become manginas by using shoes. Our bodies did not evolve to use shoes. We made shoes to make it going comfortable, just like the remote control makes it comfortable to flip TV channels.

Running barefoot should be the way to go, but we don't do it because we have become comfortable pussies. :new_Eyecr

It's not that they are morons, it's that we have become weak pussies.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X