Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A Random "Goodbye" Thread

To Bullshido:

My ship date is Thursday. I might or might not have internet access at the DLI (if I don't fail out of boot camp), so I might be around again after a few months. Or I might not. Who knows. With that in mind, I thought I would eat up more of Phrost's bandwidth to create a tearful goodbye thread. Goodbye.

Now that that's out of the way, let's get down to the important stuff: Training. Let us, if only for a moment, pretend that I am going to have ample spare time to train while I am at the DLI (Defense Language Institute in Monterey, CA). Let us also assume that I refuse to do anything with forms or kata, the exception being Judo. That is the only exception I will make to this imaginary rule. As Dungeonmaster of this thread, I will smite anyone that recommends a martial art with forms.

Here's where you guys come in: I've been e-searching for martial arts schools in Monterey, CA, and I've not found much. "Bodyworx" appears to have a BJJ class taught by Claudio Franca Black Belt Daniel Thomas ( www.bodyworx.com , I'll be calling Monday to confirm that Thomas still teaches there), which may be acceptable, but I'm not sure yet. So, with that in mind, I'd appreciate some help. My google-fu is weak right now, as I'm stuck on dialup at my parents' house, and I don't really have a lot of time to be doing searches.

FIND ME A MARTIAL ARTS SCHOOL! I have no idea how close the surrounding cities are to Monterey, if I'll have access to a vehicle, etc etc etc. So let's try to keep things within 30 miles of Monterey, CA. Just for fun. I know there are a lot of ex-DLI guys lurking around here, so any recommendations (other than: "you're not going to have time to train") would be helpful.

Acceptable substitutes for BJJ (though I'd prefer to stick with BJJ) include:

Judo
    SAMBO
    Muay Thai
    Boxing
    MAYBE CSW or a similar MMA program

Of course, this entire thread assumes that I'll be allowed off base, blah blah blah, but just fucking humor me for once, okay? If at all possible, I'd like to pick things up as soon as I can, so having a place in mind before I even get out there would be helpful.
    No (Yes but I'll laugh at anything my e-dork friends tell me to)
    25.71%
    No
    74.29%

The poll is expired.

Last edited by Cassius; 6/04/2006 2:45pm, .
    "No. Listen to me because I know what I'm talking about here." -- Hannibal

My only advise to you is to not get married at DLI. You may laugh now but it happens all of the time. Oh yeah and try not to wind up in korean. Korean linguists are weird.

Comment

Originally posted by D Dempsey
      My only advise to you is to not get married at DLI. You may laugh now but it happens all of the time. Oh yeah and try not to wind up in korean. Korean linguists are weird.
      Anything/anyone that is Korean or involved with Korea in any way is weird.

Comment

Take some time off from MA and just play around with your guns.

Comment

Just what the doctor ordered

http://www.aikidomonterey.com/

Learn to be at peace with your self. Become one with the negative energy and turn it around

This could be you in a few months

http://www.aikidomonterey.com/images...ng-student.jpg

Comment

I didn't participate in the poll but I did want to say Good bye and Good Luck Garbanzo!

Comment

Originally posted by GoJu - Joe
              Just what the doctor ordered

http://www.aikidomonterey.com/

Learn to be at peace with your self. Become one with the negative energy and turn it around

This could be you in a few months

http://www.aikidomonterey.com/images...ng-student.jpg
              Fuck you very much.
              "No. Listen to me because I know what I'm talking about here." -- Hannibal

Comment

Originally posted by IzzyDaHedgehog
                Anything/anyone that is Korean or involved with Korea in any way is weird.
                Well my wife is Korean so... Dammit.

Comment

Everyone sing the Super Mario Song.

Comment

Originally posted by D Dempsey
                    Well my wife is Korean so... Dammit.
                    I have dated two Koreans. I'm not doing it again.

Comment

I always figured Super Mario would do boxing being old school and all.

Comment

Well, I'm sure some of the people around you should have some ideas, but from what I understand, california is rife with martial arts teachers...they c-step for the corners when you flip on a light...

My stepmother used to teach german at the DLI and I spent some time in that area as a tiny lad, but I wasn't training then. It's a nice town, though.

Go to the aquarium once in a while. It's a very soothing place. Also replete with socially concious marine biology coeds.

Comment

Quick search turned this up:

Kodokan-Monterey Judo Club
                          Head Instructor: Eric Pickering

Contact Information:

David Seva'aetasi
                          415 Casa Verde Way #32
                          Monterey, CA 93940
                          Phone: 831-655-4725

Don't go here (unless it's for giggles):
                          Seibukan Jujutsu

There was a boxing club that practiced at the Price Fitness Center, but I don't know what the level of quality is, or if it is even still there.

There was also some sort of kickboxing class that a friend of mine went to. If you go out the gate where Companio's is, turn left, and turn right onto the first big street ( IE street with traffc lights), you'll find it on your right side. It's across the streeth from a super market, and right next to a small fried chicken restaurant. Once again, can't make any supposition on the quality.

Yes, you'll have internet access at DLI. When I was there, it was limited to dial-up in the barracks, or you can go to the library or rec center for broad band. They might have upgraded to broad band in the barracks since then.

I may have told you this in a PM a long time ago, but it's not to hard to find someone macho enough to roll with you in the mat room at the gym.

And as Johnny said, check out the aquarium. Don't pay, though. Every so often (very often, in fact), they allow local residents and military ID card holders in for free. This happens maybe every three months and lasts for two weeks.

Comment

I'm the Juggernaut, Bitch!

You had t coming...

Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by Garbanzo Bean
                              Fuck you very much.
                              I think someone needs an Aikdo hug.

Seriously just do Copiera and meet some hot girls. Forget about effectiveness for now.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X