Advice for a N00B Writer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Advice for a N00B Writer

I'm a N00B writer, or a newbie writer, or just a beginner, and I was curiuos about grappling since I know almost nothing about it, was thinking of putting it in a story.

Read the stickies this thread is done.

Comment

I honestly believe that a writer actually has to feel grappling in order to write well about it. I'd advise you to read Barry Eisler's John Rain series to illustrate this, as Eisler is a Kodokan trained Judoka and a BJJ fighter who researches both his subject matter and locales to an extraordinary length.

In addition, go down to your nearest BJJ/Judo/Sambo/Wrestling club, and have a go. I can guarantee you that by actually feeling what grappling is like, your accuracy of description will be far higher, and thus your ability to write an entertaining H2H combat scene will be better.

Comment

If you start talking about reverse omeletes in your book no one will know what you are talking about. It depends on the subject you don't really need to know about grappling to write about it. If you talk about back yard wrestling or pro wrestling in a story you really don't need to know that much about it.
        カンフー

Comment

Originally posted by LordMitchell
          I'm a N00B writer, or a newbie writer, or just a beginner,
          Well, make up your mind; which is it?

and I was curiuos about grappling since I know almost nothing about it, was thinking of putting it in a story.
          Two words for you, Lord: Strunk & White. Seriously though, you want to be a writer? Go gitchoo some syntax first. Position before submission, and all that.

Comment

I'm a N00B writer, or a newbie writer, or just a beginner, and I was curiuos about grappling since I know almost nothing about it, was thinking of putting it in a story.
            Write a story about pirates grappling and pillaging on the high seas.
            The pirates could be called 'glass eye jonesy' and 'captain jethro buggerson' and their motley crew.
            Make sure you credit me with the inspiration though, or I will be after your balls with a kitchen knife.

Comment

Actually, I was thinking I would do a story involving Pirates and Ninjas, who then get killed by Chuck Norris' roundhouse kick...*ducks to avoid tomatoes*

My Karate Club has some grappling, but I'm not sure of the quality. Thank you for the Barry Eisler John Rain series, though. I will try to look that up.

Comment

Actually, I was thinking I would do a story involving Pirates and Ninjas, who then get killed by Chuck Norris' roundhouse kick...*ducks to avoid tomatoes*

My Karate Club has some grappling, but I'm not sure of the quality. Thank you for the Barry Eisler John Rain series, though. I will try to look that up.
                No. Pirates grappling ninjas.
                Make sure 'glass eye jonesy' and 'captain jethro buggerson' and their motley crew are in there.
                And make sure they're on the high seas.
                And make sure there is pillaging.

And grog.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Jones
                  If you start talking about reverse omeletes in your book no one will know what you are talking about. It depends on the subject you don't really need to know about grappling to write about it. If you talk about back yard wrestling or pro wrestling in a story you really don't need to know that much about it.
                  LOL I say
                  Imports from Japan, Shipping Worldwide! Art Junkie, Scramble, BJJ Spirits, Reversal...
                  Scramble Stuff

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                  X