Announcement

Collapse

FORUM MAINTENANCE

FORUM MAINTENANCE THIS EVENING!!! PLEASE BE AWARE THAT THE FORUMS WILL NOT BE AVAILABLE FOR A PERIOD OF TIME. JOIN US ON THE DISCORD, INSTEAD!
See more
See less

Another leg breaker clip. How?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It seems to be the general consensus that bone conditioning (striking the shin on a blunt object repeatedly) is a stupid thing to do that leads to situations like this video. I find it interesting because a friend had told me the near opposite, that cuasing hairline fractures in the bone that then heal actually make the bones even stronger. Any validity to these claims?
    Knowing is not enough, you must apply...
    ...Willing is not enough you must do
    ~Bruce Lee

Comment

I've probably read every shin condition thread on this board as well as a google search. And the general consensus seems to be that shin condiditoning does not make the shin harder but it does kill the nerves or deaden the pain when you clash shins. The consensus among the threads also seem to be that the best way to condition your shins would be to kick the bottom of the heavy bag as often as possible. Obviously using the proper form.

Edit: Also, as far as hairline fractures in the shin bone. I'm am under the impression that fractures (even microfractures) actually take very long to heal completely (up to a year).
      Last edited by ojgsxr6; 3/19/2006 9:22pm, .

Comment

Originally posted by Raynor
        You do understand that banana plants (no such thing as a banana tree), are all soft and juicy, right? Maybe some tougher parts as the thing grows older, but its not that damn impressive.
        Wrong again.

It is a well-known fact that banana tree's are made out of reinforced concrete. That's why banana's are so damned expensive, making the tree costs a lot of money.

Neildo, I'm pretty sure koto Ryu takes down his heavy bag and then does various lifts with it. I am talking about actually hitting it. Yes, I can practice the ground and pound with it, but I also have a little brother, so that's pointless.

Comment

I was reading this thread a I hear my nabbors yelling and screaming in the hall way followed by a banging noise aginst my door. I open it to see that their pounding a golf ball aginst my door, so to prevent dammage I take the ball from them. The guy with the golf club come up and tries to take the ball back, I kept it away from him so he nales me in the shin with his fucking golf club laughing about it all the time.
          Yea it hurts.

Comment

That's what you get for doing TKD.

Comment

I thought the judo would make up for the tkd....
              :(

Comment

No, it doesn't.

Comment

I think I remeber you posting on MAP in the TKD section. Did you do TKD once PL?

Be honst, no one is perfect.
                  Except Omea.

Comment

Originally posted by Teryan
                    I was reading this thread a I hear my nabbors yelling and screaming in the hall way followed by a banging noise aginst my door. I open it to see that their pounding a golf ball aginst my door, so to prevent dammage I take the ball from them. The guy with the golf club come up and tries to take the ball back, I kept it away from him so he nales me in the shin with his fucking golf club laughing about it all the time.
                    Yea it hurts.
                    Shoot him in the face next time.

Comment

He is usually just trying to be funny, but comes off as annoying. I guess my pain is his hummor.

I have plans for him thow.

Comment

Originally posted by Teryan
                        I think I remeber you posting on MAP in the TKD section. Did you do TKD once PL?

Be honst, no one is perfect.
                        Except Omea.
                        Yup. Did a year of WTF TKD. Have the Junior Green Belt to prove it, too.

I had THOUGHT that my school was an exception to the TKD rule of suckage, but then I went to a Throwdown (this is like 8 months AFTER I quit and had been taking a month of BJJ, but still) and would have gotten my arm broken had not Emevas also taken TKD at one point and known that TKD = block kicks with your arm.

Though, the black belt that taught most classes was real good. He was like 6'3" and like 180-ish if I remember, but he had a lot of power behind his kicks and was real fast. Good enough to kick ass in MMA fights? No. Good enough to kick some random guy's ass? Probably. But, I want to be prepared for more than just some random guy, so I quit.

Comment

Originally posted by KempoFist
                          It seems to be the general consensus that bone conditioning (striking the shin on a blunt object repeatedly) is a stupid thing to do that leads to situations like this video.
                          Exactly why I dont do any bone conditioning. Also I cant kick for shit. Ill front kick occasionaly or maybe roundhouse but its mostly to feel out an opponent. I just focus more on my hands and countering kicks with takedowns.
                          Port Jefferson Martial Arts - My Gym
                          Port Jefferson Martial Arts - My Blog

Comment

My year of TKD also left me with an ingrained love for kicks. Not all kicks use your shin, you know. Push kicks are awesome, as are back kicks if you can time them right.

Comment

Wow! that really was a great break.

Comment

Ok, the thread has grown a bit...

Raynor: Why were you aiming for the other guys shin?
                                Actually it was bad aim on my part, copled with him blocking with his shin. But I figured that if I were to do the same thing, as hard as I could; it would probably be very stupid, like the clip... So I began going out of my way to avoid that potential outcome.

Raynor: You do understand that banana plants (no such thing as a banana tree), are all soft and juicy, right? Maybe some tougher parts as the thing grows older, but its not that damn impressive.
                                Sorry, writing across languages here. I know banana plants aren't the toughest things around, but it must have done something to him. I'm not completely sure it was a banana plant, it was something that took about an hour to kick down. But you always have to apply the "tall-tale" factor though. Whatever the guy did, hitting his shin was like kicking a damn tree. Bone hardening seems cool on the surface, but if that doesen't cause arthritis and stuff like that I would be very surprised. I didn't know it actually weakened the bone though.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                                X