X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best Place to strike and why, comments.

Hey all,

Just wanted to pose a question.

Where do you think the best place in theory is to strike on the head (above throat), all comments welcome!

--------------------
    What Ive read so far:

Mouth: Cant remember why someone said this was a good idea, my opinion is you'l end up with a tooth through your knuckle.

Jaw: If the jaw is tense is isnt a great place to strike, If its relaxed a well timed punch could break and knock the person out. Due to a nerve that the broken jaw hits and that nerve controls the blood flow to the brain (apparently).

Nose: Seems like a tricky one to stike head on, a hook, uppercut etc seem more suitable if striking this area, or if your striking at an angle.

Eye area: Even a glancing blow could make eyes water and disorientate. Also the fists coming towards the eyes could help by blocking and disorientate the opponent.

-----

Reason for this thread is that i think, at the best of times, landing a well planted accurate punch is hard, however lots of people say try to strike for different areas. I think my knowledge in this area is laking concreate knowledge. Maybe others too!

Regards

Jaw. It is a knockout with a good shot.

Comment

hit them in the face. Do you spar much? It seems you'd know that you can't exactly aim for a very specific spot when punching in a live situation if you did. Aim for the face and hope it lands.
      Ranked #9 internationally at 118lbs by WIKBA http://www.womenkickboxing.com/wikba...rch%202009.htm

Comment

Originally posted by paralax19
        Hey all,
        --------------------
        What Ive read so far:

Mouth: Cant remember why someone said this was a good idea, my opinion is you'l end up with a tooth through your knuckle.
        Do you spar much ?

Jaw: If the jaw is tense is isnt a great place to strike, If its relaxed a well timed punch could break and knock the person out. Due to a nerve that the broken jaw hits and that nerve controls the blood flow to the brain (apparently).
        I hope this person wasn't an instructor ... A nerve in the jaw that stops the flow of blood to the brain ?

Nose: Seems like a tricky one to stike head on, a hook, uppercut etc seem more suitable if striking this area, or if your striking at an angle.
        Do you spar much ?

Eye area: Even a glancing blow could make eyes water and disorientate. Also the fists coming towards the eyes could help by blocking and disorientate the opponent.

Do you spar much ?
        I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
        BILL HICKS,
        1961-1994

"Never believe that anti-Semites are completely unaware of the absurdity of their replies. They know that their remarks are frivolous, open to challenge. But they are amusing themselves, for it is their adversary who is obliged to use words responsibly, since he believes in words. The anti-Semites have the right to play. They even like to play with discourse for, by giving ridiculous reasons, they discredit the seriousness of their interlocutors. They delight in acting in bad faith, since they seek not to persuade by sound argument but to intimidate and disconcert. If you press them too closely, they will abruptly fall silent, loftily indicating by some phrase that the time for argument is past."
        ---Jean-Paul Sartre

Comment

"style: ...still looking"

I'm guessing no on the sparring thing
          Ranked #9 internationally at 118lbs by WIKBA http://www.womenkickboxing.com/wikba...rch%202009.htm

Comment

omg!

I did say:

"at the best of times, landing a well planted accurate punch is hard, however lots of people say try to strike for different areas"

And did i say:

"A nerve in the jaw that 'stops' the flow of blood to the brain"?

--------
            Think of it this way:

If you could CHOOSE where to land your punch on the head area, where would you choose?

Comment

I'd choose the face.

Comment

If you could CHOOSE where to land your punch on the head area, where would you chose?
                I do tend to choose to one degree or another ... usualy its pretty vague but the more I spar the easier it becomes to pick and choose the specifics . I am still in the general front of face , side of face , chest , solar plexus , gut , groin , thighs , calves , and ankles/feet type of specifics ... it's all good hitting stuff standing still , but when they start moving and changing direction suddenly ... yeah its pretty vague for me .

Now you don't train ... or spar .... but you want us to tell you where to hit people and why ... targets and methods of hitting those targets are ... basicly ... the basics and core of the hard styled striking arts . Go train and the answers will be obviouse .
                I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
                BILL HICKS,
                1961-1994

"Never believe that anti-Semites are completely unaware of the absurdity of their replies. They know that their remarks are frivolous, open to challenge. But they are amusing themselves, for it is their adversary who is obliged to use words responsibly, since he believes in words. The anti-Semites have the right to play. They even like to play with discourse for, by giving ridiculous reasons, they discredit the seriousness of their interlocutors. They delight in acting in bad faith, since they seek not to persuade by sound argument but to intimidate and disconcert. If you press them too closely, they will abruptly fall silent, loftily indicating by some phrase that the time for argument is past."
                ---Jean-Paul Sartre

Comment

http://www.self-defender.net/article20.htm

" The point or side of the jaw are the areas most boxers aim to hit since impacts here facilitate the shaking movement of the head that leads to the knock-out effect"

------------------------
                  http://meme.essortment.com/strikingvitalp_rknt.htm

"Hinge of jaw- There is a cluster of nerves that is located below each ear and at the hinge of the jaw. These can be located very easily by finding them first upon yourself. Use your thumb or middle and index fingers and GENTLY apply an increasing amount of pressure in the area. When you hit the nerve center you will know it!"

Break Jaw hit nerve, you do the math.

-----------------
                  http://www.genetunney.org/magazine23.html
                  " Now, the two best known knockout blows are the punch to the point of the jaw and the solar-plexus punch. You should aim at either of these two points of the anatomy if ever the necessity arises for you to take a punch at anybody."

-------------
                  http://www.warrior-scholar.com/articles/yookwon.htm
                  "The side of the jaw (Knock out point) SI 18 Kual Lyo
                  This target is in the hollow just under the cheek bone. If you lightly tap this area in a small circular manner you will find the spot that makes the target go numb. This is a numbing point if struck with moderate force and a knockout point if hit with enough force."

Comment

Originally posted by Kidspatula
                    hit them in the face. Do you spar much? It seems you'd know that you can't exactly aim for a very specific spot when punching in a live situation if you did. Aim for the face and hope it lands.

Do you read much?

"Where do you think the best place in theory is to strike on the head (above throat), all comments welcome!"

I agree when sparring it is great to go for the face and it is difficult to actually target one specific area due to all sorts of variables (gloves, no gloves, the guard, height of opponent), but he asked a theoretical question.

If you are going to aim anywhere, Id aim for the nose personally. Why? Its in the middle of the face. If you miss the nose you will likely still connect with some other portion of the head (we are in agreement here). Hit too high and offset you get an eye, thats good, hit to low you get the mouth/jawbone, throat thats good etc.

Comment

I didnt want you to 'tell' me where to strike, I was interested in a discussion on the subject, ive been to various seminars and had different teachers say different things.

One said eyes for the reasons outlined above and another said jaw. One also said mouth (which seemed odd due to the teeth)

ive been training Wing Chun for 3 years, hope to start Kali in 6 month and Vale Tudo/BJJ in prehaps a year if finances and location allow.
                      Last edited by paralax19; 1/10/2006 4:30pm, .

Comment

Originally posted by hl1978
                        Do you read much?

"Where do you think the best place in theory is to strike on the head (above throat), all comments welcome!"

I agree when sparring it is great to go for the face and it is difficult to actually target one specific area due to all sorts of variables (gloves, no gloves, the guard, height of opponent), but he asked a theoretical question.
                        I Think your missing the point . Bullshido , as far as I know , isnt about "what ifs" or theory . It is about doing .
                        Originally posted by hl1978
                        If you are going to aim anywhere, Id aim for the nose personally. Why? Its in the middle of the face. If you miss the nose you will likely still connect with some other portion of the head (we are in agreement here). Hit too high and offset you get an eye, thats good, hit to low you get the mouth/jawbone, throat thats good etc.
                        Yep ... that sums up the "front of face" ... but I had to start thinking "side of face" to get to the temple and jawline . Same thing with "ribs" and "chest" ... etc .
                        BILL HICKS,
                        1961-1994

---Jean-Paul Sartre

Comment

ive been training Wing Chun for 3 years, hope to start Kali in 6 month and Vale Tudo/BJJ in prehaps a year if finances and location allow.
                          So you dont spar ?
                          BILL HICKS,
                          1961-1994

---Jean-Paul Sartre

Comment

usual wing chun stuff, not in the sense you mean.

Bullshido also means no Bullshit. I backed up what I said about the nerve thing, you just slandered it.

My sparring credentials dont detract from what i posted may have been interesting to members and other members could add other info that may be interesting.

Comment

Best place to strike?

The ear. Nobody thinks about getting hit in the ear, and it fucking hurts! Also, the back of the head. If you need to ask me how exactly you hit someone in the back of the head, you need to train more. Ha!
                              :new_all_c

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X