Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Partisanship

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Partisanship

    Don't you hate it? Don't you wish it would go away? Don't you wish reasoned discourse was the rule of politics instead of the ever so rare exception? Doesn't it bother you that most of politicians time is spent bickering meaninglessly instead of acting in the best interests of the people?

    #2
    There is too much at stake for them personally for them to be reasonable as you stated. Term limits, lower pay, greater restrictions on perks (bribes) need to force change.

    Comment


      #3
      In Canada, we don't have term limits, do have fairly tight restrictions on bribes, and have a decent pay scheme/pension plan for MPs.

      I think the solution lies in dismantling the party system.

      Comment


        #4
        Originally posted by I Choke You
        I think the solution lies in dismantling the party system.
        How is that possible? In a free system, won't new parties just form naturally?

        Comment


          #5
          Not if they are out lawed. You could outlaw political parties without suspending any other right, including the right to vote. It's just that politicians couldn't pool resources over a huge area. Each riding would be its own battle, with its own consequences, once politicians got to the legistlature, obviously they would form alliances according to ideology, but on more of a one off basis, not according to party affiliation, but stance on the issues.

          Politicians could actually have reasonable debate, because you could reasonably hope to actually sway some votes to your side with a convincing oratory, or presentation of evidence supporting your case. Voting would not be simply based on party lines.

          Comment


            #6
            Another, less heavy handed way is this:

            Your neighbourhood has a vote on who will represent it politically.

            That guy, and the other little representatives, form a village council, and vote on who among them will represent the village at town/city council meetings.

            The city councillors vote on who among them will represent the city at the state/provincial legistlature.

            The state legistlators vote on who among them will represent the state at the federal level.

            The members of the federal legistlature vote on who among them will lead the government.

            The leader of government appoints the cabinet from the members of the federal legistlature, who must be approved by the legistlature.

            Comment


              #7
              Ill bet you can't wait until information technology lets us do away with representational government and replace it with direct participatory democracy via the digital Agora.

              But yeah, partisanship, especially in the US's "Two Lying Idiots" system sucks azz. I'd prefer messily shifting coalitions between dozens of smaller parties. Being unrepresented by both sides, I am ready to try parliamentary schizophrenia, er, representation.

              Now, just as soon as hell freezes over and all the lobbyists come to jesus...
              "You know what I like about you, William? You like guns AND meditation."

              Comment


                #8
                Ill bet you can't wait until information technology lets us do away with representational government and replace it with direct participatory democracy
                I think with the ability to appoint a proxy, that would work fantastically.

                I figure you could vote on who you wanted to represent you, or reserve your vote for your own use. The guy with the most votes (appointed proxy for all the people who voted for him) could be the member of legistlature for a riding, and could therefore introduce legistlation. However votes in the legistlature would be based on total votes from all voters.

                All those who recieved votes would be the proxy for those who voted for them.

                If the winner in a riding got 10,000 votes, runner up 8,000, third place 5,000, fourth place 500 votes, fifth place 25 votes then in the legistlature, when votes (which could still only be called by members, not the rest) were called, all of the above could use the proxy votes they'd been given via the internet or whatever, as well, regular people who had reserved their votes for themselves and not appointed proxies could use their's individually.

                So the vote is decided by the cumulative will of the people, every time, you never have somebody get 35% of the popular vote, then do whatever they want in office. You also ALWAYS have the choice and the power to control your own political power as a citizen.

                Now, just as soon as hell freezes over and all the lobbyists come to jesus...
                The Fascist in me says we should send'em to Jesus, care of M-60 Airways.

                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally posted by I Choke You
                  I think with the ability to appoint a proxy, that would work fantastically.

                  I figure you could vote on who you wanted to represent you, or reserve your vote for your own use. The guy with the most votes (appointed proxy for all the people who voted for him) could be the member of legistlature for a riding, and could therefore introduce legistlation. However votes in the legistlature would be based on total votes from all voters.

                  All those who recieved votes would be the proxy for those who voted for them.

                  If the winner in a riding got 10,000 votes, runner up 8,000, third place 5,000, fourth place 500 votes, fifth place 25 votes then in the legistlature, when votes (which could still only be called by members, not the rest) were called, all of the above could use the proxy votes they'd been given via the internet or whatever, as well, regular people who had reserved their votes for themselves and not appointed proxies could use their's individually.

                  So the vote is decided by the cumulative will of the people, every time, you never have somebody get 35% of the popular vote, then do whatever they want in office. You also ALWAYS have the choice and the power to control your own political power as a citizen.



                  The Fascist in me says we should send'em to Jesus, care of M-60 Airways.
                  I realize you are a Canadian but you should look at the final address to congress from Geroge Washington. He basically predicted the mess the US has with its two party system (ie) image over wisdom.

                  As an answer to you question yeah I have to say that since i am a moderate on both sides Political partys are dumb.

                  PT

                  Comment


                    #10
                    I think i'm an extremist and neither party is wierd enough for me.
                    "You know what I like about you, William? You like guns AND meditation."

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Good, we should hold a coup.

                      Comment


                        #12
                        I get the warm part.
                        "You know what I like about you, William? You like guns AND meditation."

                        Comment


                          #13
                          I'm a secular humanist that doesn't mind kicking a few asses now and then.
                          Also I believe I would make an EXCELLENT world dictator for life.
                          Thus, I have no place in either party, but you can probably imagine where i usually end up casting my ballots...
                          "Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats." H.L. Mencken

                          Comment


                            #14
                            I don't vote anymore, just doesn't matter in such a shitty system, but I reserve the right to whine when the governments I didn't help elect fuck up.

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Originally posted by I Choke You
                              I don't vote anymore, just doesn't matter in such a shitty system, but I reserve the right to whine when the governments I didn't help elect fuck up.
                              I do vote, and I'm still stuck with a shitty government I didn't help elect.
                              Them's the breaks.

                              Comment

                              Collapse

                              Edit this module to specify a template to display.

                              Working...
                              X