Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tobal 2. An interesting fighting game.

Here's a little known number for the Playstation called Tobal 2. I never
    played the first one, but I have read that this one is a big improvement.

The basic game follows your tekken/virtua fighter standard. It's in 3D and you can walk up and down as well as retreat and advance. What I found intersting is that moving up and down was one of the things you had to use to fight well in the game, and it looks cool as the fighters circle each other raise thier guard occasionally, just like an NHB match. You can raise you guard with the block button, and there are also a high, middle and low attack buttons. There is a jump button, but so far I rarely use it. The thing which sets this game apart from other 3D fighters is the grappling system. Its probably the most realistic in any fighting game I've played. By holding block and pressing middle attack your character will make a grab for the enemy. If it connects then the characters will clinch, and proceed to push and pull each other as well as sidestep while loding onto each other. Reminds me of judoka locked in kimi-uchi which I belive this aspect of the game is based on. If you win the grapple, you will throw the opponent. There are realistic hip and shoulder throws, trips and some far out stuff like spinning piledrivers. I've seen some cool stuff in the grappling, I believe somone does a ground and pound. What's cool is that you can counter each others throws, sometimes you land on your feet from a throw, sometimes you reverse thier technique which looks cool. When clinching you can also opt to press the low attack button and your character will start unleashing a battery of leg kicks, which then make the opponent hop up on his injured leg in pain and become dizzy, turning his back. When this happends giving you have free reign to whip out a combo. The AI loves this move and uses it often, especially on the later levels when they will do it, combo you and take away half your energy bar. It can be frustrating as the computer will juggle you in combos fairly easy.

The game has a cartoony, kiddie style to it. No blood, expolding heads ect. The characters were designed by teh guy that did the Dragonball Z characters and you can see the semblance. There is your basic "ryu" character as well as a robot, old kung-fu man, sexy chicks, big wrestler chick, giant chicken-man, monster, as well as others which have to be unlocked by completing the game such as a toad man, and a really big blue giant thing who is immune to t3h gr4ppl3.

This game is very hard. I put it on the easiest difficulty and still got whupped. After playing for a while I realised that you can't just run up and start mashing away on the buttons untill something connects. The game has a strong emphasis on defending then counter-attacking when the opponent is open, which gives the game a very "technical" feel. You can defend high or low so if you stand there with the block button pressed the comp will just attack you low or high, whatever you are not defending. If you just stand there and defend they will come in for the grab which cannot be blocked (but can be countered if your timing is just right).

The game also features a quest mode where you wander the island fighting monsters and getting items. I haven't had a proper go at this mode yet.

Overall, a nice little fighting game that is not well known. The reason for this is that it was never released outside of Japan. Fortunatly, a patch has been made which will hax you up an English version. I downloaded a pre-patched version to play on the ePSXe emulator and it works with no problems. If you know how to get roms you should be able to find a copy.

A more comprehansive review is here:
    http://www.ex.org/2.6/39-game_tobal2.html

If anyone has played this game feel free to share your thoughts, tactics, ect.

SEARCH FUNCTION NoOb!!!!!!!

I've only harped on this game several times as one of the best fighting games ever!!!

EDIT: Looks like the other game threads aren't showing up. I still play this game from time to time and it still has the biggest roster of fighters than any fighting game. It has huge replay value because you will want to unlike all 200 of them.
    ______
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

RIP SOLDIER

Didn't anyone ever tell him a fat man could never be a ninja
    -Gene, GODHAND

You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
    The key to fighting two men at once is to be much tougher than both of them.
    -Daniel Tosh

Comment

It's a shame how few people know about this game. I remember liking it far more than any other fighting game out at the time, except possibly Soul Edge( God knows it was better than that static memory game Tekken that everyone was raving about at the time). Above all I liked the fact that they realized that the jump button is somewhat redundant in a 3d setting.
      I pointed at him [the panhandler], bringing my rear hand up in a subtle approximation of the double Wu Sau guard that is the default hand position in Wing Chun Kung Fu.

"Step away," I hissed.
      -Phil Elmore

Comment

what is this? GameFAQS.com? It almost seems like there are more video game threads than martial arts threads on this damn site these days.
        Ranked #9 internationally at 118lbs by WIKBA http://www.womenkickboxing.com/wikba...rch%202009.htm

Comment

Originally posted by PoleFighter
          It's a shame how few people know about this game. I remember liking it far more than any other fighting game out at the time, except possibly Soul Edge( God knows it was better than that static memory game Tekken that everyone was raving about at the time). Above all I liked the fact that they realized that the jump button is somewhat redundant in a 3d setting.
          I had never heard about it at the time either, but then again, I never owned a Playstation. I just play on emulators and I came across reviews when I was looking fr games to download. Definatly one of the best fighters on the PS, better than Tekken 3.

Comment

Although that is a good game it still cant compete with DOA in realism(minus the teleporting ninja moves) or in just the shere fun factor(played it for 3 years before DOA 4 came out, now that is my new gem) anyone who hasnt played it its only 10 bucks for doa 3 and its fun as hell gaurentee you will love it...if you have xbox

Comment

Holy crap, that game is old. But it was fun in its time, before DOA came along.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
              X