Drugs - Your take

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Drugs - Your take

What are you guys' take on drugs. I know a lot of martial artists take it seriously with the Japanese ideaologies and that their bodies are sacred. Obviously some will decrease performance and some will increase it. Roids work of course, but so does stuff like caffeine. Alcohol is the bane to the martial artists. The finishing of that beer bottle is a bittersweet moment. Its hard to drink that much when you worked so hard to make progress in your art.
    There are also the grizzled guys out here that do whatever feels good at the moment. Personally I have explored with many things and I find that some of them have a great potential as long you control the situation rather than letting it control you. Some people do it to escape reality, and I guess everyone has tried doing that once.
    Some pople also use drugs to understand thenselves better. Hallucinogens can make you think completely out of the box and for some, it is a experience that can change their outlook on life profoundly.
    The most interesting feeling though is the intense rush and happy feeling I get from working and sweating my ass off for a good hour: The 'runners' high. In some ways, exercising and martial arts can be addictive just by the pleasure achieved by it.

I dont want this to be a thread about how many lines of llallo you snort, but just personal views on drug uses. Is it bad, wrong, or good?

It really depends on the person, the drug, and the time. Many variables. The most awesome drug I've ever taken is fighting.

Comment

My position - which has been that way long before I started MA - is that I have no desire to pop some chemicals to become someone drastically other than myself.

I don't mind weak stuff like caffeine and chocolate for myself, and I don't care if other people take drugs as long as the drugs don't take them.

(I have found that it gets hard to communicate with people at parties when everyone is stoned and/or drunk except you, though, and that's mildly annoying. Also, people who have a decent taste in music suddenly enjoy hip-hop when they're stoned...)
      There are no wrong threats, only wrong answers. (Strategy game truism)

Comment

I've never drank, smoked, or used any illegal substance. Hardest drug I've ever had is caffinnee and the pain killers I was on when I had some shoulder surgery. Got no reason to do drugs, alcholism runs in my family.
        "Emevas,
        You're a scrapper, I like that."-Ronin69

Comment

Politically, I say legalize the lot. Crack, smack, acid, E's.

Personally I don't touch them. I used to use weed and smoke but I gave it up for martial arts and excercise. I rarely drink, maybe three or four times a year.

I enjoy caffiene and have used it as a perfromance enhancing drug before a workout. If you are going to do that you must cut out all non-workout caffiene and only take a specified dose before a workout or training session. You also need to stop every so often as you will build up some tolerance to the effects. (As far as scientific support for legal suppliments; only caffiene and creatine rest on a solid body of evidence. A few have achieved experimental mixed results, and most are worthless).

Can you smoke pot drink and hit the ciggies and continue to do martial arts? Well, of course that primarily depends on the degree of athleticism required for the art. I expect you would find less use of these substances amongst sport arts which both require and produce athleticism in their participants. You would probably feel the effects of those smokes pretty quickly into a round of randori or rolling. Some of the guys in my bujinkan class are smokers, and they can get away with it for kata training, but they would be coughing up their own lungs if they came to my shooto session. There are the odd freaks who can smoke like chimneys and continue to engage in sports, I think they're genes are carrying them and they would improve if they quit the cigs.

Another factor is the degree of importance one places on thier martial arts. If it's a little hobby on the side then you can get away with more pot, cigs and drinks. You have to ask yourself "how devoted am I to my art?" if the answer is 100%, then anything that will stand in your way (that can be avoided) must go. That means partying every weekend. For most people it just won't be possible to live that sort of bad lifestyle and continue to train at a high level.

Comment

I lost someone very close to me because of drugs.

If you can control it, fine. If you can't, stop. Mind you, if you can't, it's probably too late.

Number 1 thing is always tell your friends exactly how much you are taking and whether you are in control, and be honest with them. They'll help you if you can't help yourself.
            Imports from Japan, Shipping Worldwide! Art Junkie, Scramble, BJJ Spirits, Reversal...
            Scramble Stuff

Comment

Originally posted by Beatdown Richie
              (I have found that it gets hard to communicate with people at parties when everyone is stoned and/or drunk except you, though, and that's mildly annoying. Also, people who have a decent taste in music suddenly enjoy hip-hop when they're stoned...)
              I know. I find parties quite boring now. A stoned person can't follow what you are saying, talks shit and then falls asleep. I also find the act of smoking cigarrettes very offensive. They smell, look stupid while they suck on that stick and blow smoke out their mouth, then have a foul odour that clings to them afterwards. They literally leave a smell trail everyehere they go that lingers in rooms after they pass by. I'll run a mile to get away from a smoker.
              Last edited by Virus; 12/29/2005 4:59am, .

Comment

Originally posted by Virus
                I know. I find parties quite boring now. A stoned person can't follow what you are saying, talks shit and then falls asleep. I also find the act of smoking cigarrettes very offensive. They smell, look stupid while they suck on that stick and blow smoke out their mouth, then have a foul odour that clings to them afterwards. They literally leave a smell trail everyehere they go that lingers in rooms after they pass by. I'll run a mile to get away from a smoker.
                Shitty cigarettes maybe, but pure tobacco smoke is the sweetest smell on earth, and I know, cos my Grandad smokes a pipe.

Comment

when I worked in a mass spec lab a couple years ago, we had demonstrations that we did for investors and government personnel. with one of the machines we had it set to run progressively and capture real time sampling. Our lab was one of the largest environmental studies corporations in the world for this reason, so it was always an interesting test. one of the joke experiments we'd do was to find a person who supposedly quit smoking or was a smoker. Ask them questions like: 'when you had your llast cig' and such. Then we'd ask them to put one of their hands around the intake vent. everyone would look at the data on the screen and they'd see this giant ass peak rise out of the graph and they'd usually ask what it was and we'd tell them it was nicotine. once we almost mad some woman cry, because she really did quit about a year previous. It took some time to clam her down, but the point I was going to bring up was that the tar in cigs stays with you for a long time after you quit and nicotine is one of the main byproducts. That stuff sticks to everything. You might as well buy new clothes, washing doesnt do all that much.

My complaint about our current perception on drugs is that we think that drugs "make you do stuff." I've always hated that excuse that "the drugs made me do it", or "he was on drugs at the time of the murders".....Trust me, this is horse shit. They wont change you from anything that wasn't already there before.
                  http://woodwardswhiskey.wordpress.com/

He was punching him like the collective karmic debt he'd accrued was coming to collections, mostly on his face.

Comment

I think that what people do in the privacy of their own homes, as long as it doesn't hurt anyone other than themselves...is none of my business.

And don't give me the crap about "the price society pays"...let's fight drug use w/ education and stop locking up non-violent drug offenders.

Comment

"Trust me, this is horse shit. They wont change you from anything that wasn't already there before."

Some drugs can induce a temperary psychosis that will significantly change one's personality.

Comment

Nothing compares to opiates...they constipate you, but that's nothing some fiber, castor oil, etc can't handle. They won't hang you over like alcohol, they won't burn you out like meth or crack, but man, the high, the lack of pain, the feeling of invincibility and well-being...it's worth the risk.

My advice? Fake some back pain (if you don't have to fake it, even better), your doc'll hook you up...you won't regret it.

Comment

Drugs are bad, Mmmkay?
                          "Onward we stagger, and if the tanks come, may God help the tanks." - Col. William O. Darby

Comment

Abusing drugs is bad...if using them to get so high you almost forget your humanity, then I don't wanna be good.

Comment

My #1 drug of choice. (#2 is cuban tobacco.)

For size reference, this laptop has an oversized screen and is running 1280x800 resolution.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X