Training: maintenance vs. improvement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Training: maintenance vs. improvement

How many times do you feel you need to train per week to maintain your current skill level versus how many times per week to improve?

I'll start. I find that twice a week is almost enough for maintenance, but if I want to improve it seems that 3 training sessions is the minimum.

The reason I am starting this thread is because I've only been able to train once a week for the last few months and I feel like I am sliding backward in my groundskills.

MODS, please feel free to move this into another forum if necessary. I almost started this in TTG&G, but I'm not sure it's pertinent to that sub-forum.
    Shut the hell up and train.

I've noticed the most improvement when I've been training hard for about 4-5 classes a week (1 hour). Maitence is about 3-4.... but anything below that I notice I'm alot less sharp.

The improvemnt takes times, but slipping happens alot faster (after about 2 months of training I'll notice small things, after about 2 weeks slacking off... the same... and it'll take me another couple to get back into the swing of things...

Comment

Excellent topic!

If you're talking simply about your ability to execute technique as opposed to conditioning, then I think many people could probably train as little as 2 or 3 times a month without losing much, provided they had a good solid skillset earned through a significant amount of frequent and consistent training to begin with.

I do think a lot of it depends upon the person and the cognitive approach they take. I believe that constantly going over techniques in your mind goes a long way toward keeping them fresh. That alone won't do it, but I do think it prolongs their shelf life somewhat, once again, provided they were learned, drilled and applied properly to begin with and for a significant amount of time.

As far as improving, I believe that takes a significant amount of practice for most people. My guess would be twice a week at a minimum for most, but it's just a guess.

Comment

Thanks lawdog and yes I'm talking about technique execution ability in live sparring environment as opposed to conditioning. Thanks for the clarification. Also this is a great way to put off doing my Christmas shopping.

Comment

Originally posted by jnp
          How many times do you feel you need to train per week to maintain your current skill level versus how many times per week to improve?

I'll start. I find that twice a week is almost enough for maintenance, but if I want to improve it seems that 3 training sessions is the minimum.

The reason I am starting this thread is because I've only been able to train once a week for the last few months and I feel like I am sliding backward in my groundskills.

MODS, please feel free to move this into another forum if necessary. I almost started this in TTG&G, but I'm not sure it's pertinent to that sub-forum.
          I think the actual time in hours you spend training is just as important as the number of times per week spent training.

If you roll with a good variety of people every session and roll for a long time, you should be able to practice your skills and perhaps even improve a little. The people in your class may be improving more, but your skills shouldn't backslide too much.

I haven't been able to train a whole lot lately with Thanksgiving, finals, travel, and a sinus infection, so I've been trying to really think about every roll and make every last bit of training I do get count.

I should be back to my usual 3-4 sessions a week minimum after the new year. How long are you stuck training once a week?
          "No. Listen to me because I know what I'm talking about here." -- Hannibal

Comment

It really is an excellent question. I'm fairly certain I'm correct about the maintenance thing simply because I've seen it over the years, but I'd love to see some research regarding the improvement aspect.

I'd say 2x per week minimum, but I'd think 3 or 4 might be necessary for some in order to improve.

Comment

Originally posted by lawdog
              I do think a lot of it depends upon the person and the cognitive approach they take. I believe that constantly going over techniques in your mind goes a long way toward keeping them fresh. That alone won't do it, but I do think it prolongs their shelf life somewhat, once again, provided they were learned, drilled and applied properly to begin with and for a significant amount of time.
              This is exactly what I've been doing lately, since I've been out of class so much. I too have only been able to get in about one day a week.

One odd thing I have noticed about my training lately is that I've started spotting more openings for subs. I am thinking it is due to me catching up on the past three years of Abu Dhabi competition footage (If I can't train, why not at least watch something related?). I never used to look for openings for kneebars or leg locks in general (other than the straight ankle lock), and now I'm spotting them like crazy.

I feel like the time I've been forced to take off has actually been good for me. Gave me some perspective and time to think.
              "No. Listen to me because I know what I'm talking about here." -- Hannibal

Comment

i think it depends if you are new and have a lot to improve on, you will improve very fast without much training, but maintaining your skillset is harder

if you are a veteran and dont have as much that needs improving, you will get better VERY slowly, but you should be able to maintain your skills with very little training

Comment

Originally posted by Egg Nog
                  How long are you stuck training once a week?
                  For the next month or two barring changes in my situation.

Comment

I roll with people that are bigger and better than me alot in Judo, and when I go over to the ju jitsu class I seem to clean house in my weight and level. I train about 3x a week and i feel my self impoving constley, but i am about my first year in judo.

Comment

Originally posted by lawdog
                      It really is an excellent question. I'm fairly certain I'm correct about the maintenance thing simply because I've seen it over the years, but I'd love to see some research regarding the improvement aspect.
                      Thanks for putting that thought in my head - now I'll be lost in PubMed for a few fucking days. (Seriously - I've got about 2000 citations to sort through, 'cause I'll see some topic I'd like to learn more on, so I hit the current research. I think I've pulled more than a couple references on skill aquisition, should be in there somewhere).

Ah well, if I find anything interesting I'll let you know.

Comment

I have heard a saying.

Miss one week and you can tell.
                        Miss two weeks and your teacher can tell.
                        Miss three weeks and everyone can tell.

I think you need at least 3 times a week to improve, and 1 time a week to keep your current skill level (But it better be a very intense one time a week). I've also found it doesn't help much to train for more then 2 hours at a time. Besides being tired, I dont seem to gain anything out of training for more then two hours, I start getting very sloppy and might actually be hurting my training more then helping it. So I limit my training to 1 and 1/2 hours of martial arts training a day. Of course I still do cardio or weights in the morning, but that is more of a maintence thing.
                        "a martial art that has no rules is nothing but violence" - Kenji Tomiki

Comment

*ahem* . . .

The saying is:

"Miss one day and you can tell. . . "
                          Fighting evil and upholding justice in blue silk pajamas baby!
                          http://youtube.com/watch?v=UGaYD_wcaIg

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6Uepo9ahg-M

Bah!!! Puny Humans.

Comment

well, now we know I need to practice memory fu.
                            "a martial art that has no rules is nothing but violence" - Kenji Tomiki

Comment

I think it also depends on how you focus and organize your practice time. For instance, if you try to cover everything you know in a few sessions per week or month, I would think that you'd at best maintain you skillset whereas if you concentrated on 1 or two techniques in a detailed, organized fashion during the same amount of time, you'd actually improve more (at least in the techniques youre practicing). Depends on the person though and how much you can focus and concentrate. But I agree with lawdog that if you can visualize outside of practice, your lack of actual practice time won't be as detrimental.

Comment

Working...
                              X