Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Training: maintenance vs. improvement

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    #16
    Bump. I thought this was a good thread topic, and I'd like to know what some of the rest of you think.
    Shut the hell up and train.

    Comment


      #17
      As a relative beginner, I find that it's not just how often, but what I practice that dictates the quality of my training and, consequently, how much I'll improve.

      If I were to practice an hour of straight randori every day for a month, I'd probably improve my balance and movement. But if I took some time for technique, maybe 15 minutes of every hour, I think that I'd improve a lot more.

      To directly answer your question, I think that, assuming the person in question has a good grasp of the basics, three times a week is the minimum to really improve. Once a week will maintain the current skill level.

      Comment


        #18
        I go three times a week, always. When I can swing it with my work schedule, I'll go four or five. Two of my classes a week are 3 in a half hours long and the other is an hour and a half. I find this is the minuimum for me to continue moving forward.

        Comment


          #19
          Sorry to hog up the thread again, but the past few months have given me some perspective on the amount of time you need to spend training to improve.

          In short, I really think it speeds up my improvement if I go to class every time with a plan. What am I doing poorly? What am I doing well? How do I make myself get better at the things I'm not good at? Focus on a few things at a time. Keep it managable.

          This is obviously something that a true beginner will have trouble with, so him, I'd suggest planning on how best to develop an overall game and become comfortable with whatever he is doing.

          I think a plan is just as important to improvement as the amount of time spent on the mat or in the ring/cage.
          "No. Listen to me because I know what I'm talking about here." -- Hannibal

          Comment


            #20
            Originally posted by Garbanzo Bean
            Sorry to hog up the thread again, but the past few months have given me some perspective on the amount of time you need to spend training to improve.
            You're not hogging anything. I've started 5 threads, not including my training log, since I got here. I usually mull a new thread idea over for a month before I decide it's worth it. Consequently I'm genuinely interested in member's responses to this thread, especially if it changes over time.
            Shut the hell up and train.

            Comment


              #21
              Originally posted by Garbanzo Bean
              In short, I really think it speeds up my improvement if I go to class every time with a plan. What am I doing poorly? What am I doing well? How do I make myself get better at the things I'm not good at? Focus on a few things at a time. Keep it managable.

              This is obviously something that a true beginner will have trouble with, so him, I'd suggest planning on how best to develop an overall game and become comfortable with whatever he is doing.

              I think a plan is just as important to improvement as the amount of time spent on the mat or in the ring/cage.
              Definitely. I've tried to adopt this approach as well, but being a relative beginner (1 year BJJ) and coming off of a 2.5 month injury layoff it's been hard to dictate the positions I want to work on. It's kind of tough trying to work on your armbars from guard when you aren't in that position very long. My original game plan was shot. But that brought me to the real issue: Rather than improving my armbar from guard, I should be working on my side mount escapes. Yeah, I know, pretty obvious huh? However, just focusing on that idea while rolling has improved my side mount escapes tremendously. Consequently, I get to spend more time working on my armbar from guard.

              As another data point, despite being a noob, I hadn't lost too much skill-wise after 2.5 months off. I attribute that to doing constant visualization while sidelined. Mentally, I was just as much in the game as ever, if not more. I took the time to read over all of my training/technique notes and rediscovered details that I had forgotten or not noticed the first time around. My conditioning on the other hand, went to hell. Oddly, though, my flexibility had improved.

              Comment


                #22
                I think Garbanzo Bean hit the nail on the head. If you go in with a plan then you can improve, even if you don't train often. Mid last year due to work commitments I was only train once or twice a week but because I was committed to working a certain guard pass then I think my skills improved dramatically.

                Unless I'm training for a competition I usually only train 3-4 times per week. Some of my training partners used to train everyday but came around to the same conclusion that I did, which was that more does not necessarily mean better.

                Comment


                  #23
                  Originally posted by JohnnyS
                  I think Garbanzo Bean hit the nail on the head. If you go in with a plan then you can improve, even if you don't train often. Mid last year due to work commitments I was only train once or twice a week but because I was committed to working a certain guard pass then I think my skills improved dramatically.

                  Unless I'm training for a competition I usually only train 3-4 times per week. Some of my training partners used to train everyday but came around to the same conclusion that I did, which was that more does not necessarily mean better.
                  Law of diminishing returns
                  Originally posted by OnceLost
                  Actually, I don't do it because I don't want people to be scammed - I do it because I enjoy kicking down the doors of Lies and Deceit and then forcibly fucking Fraud with the dildo of Truth.
                  Originally posted by It is Fake
                  I don't care if they gave it to him because, he tickles butterfly butt-holes while wearing a pink frock.

                  Comment

                  Collapse

                  Edit this module to specify a template to display.

                  Working...
                  X