X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Patriot Act renewal blocked in Senate

http://www.cnn.com/2005/POLITICS/12/....ap/index.html

this is some awsome shit.

in other news, man in funny mask and hat seen leaving out the Senate's back door.

I'm glad to see that. I didn't have too big of a problem with the patriot act as a temporary measure. But I think it was way too dangerous to leave in place in its current form.

Comment

Whatever. It'll come back in force next time a terrorist manages to attack US mainland.

Comment

Exactly, it'll come back when we need it again. I'm glad it's gone, I'm going to scutlle off to my local library to check out a copy of "Buggery for Dummies."
        Originally posted by Cullion
        You sound like a foaming-at-the-mouth-loon out of Dr. Strangelove.
        Sometimes, we put Ricin in the Cocaine. :ninja7:

Comment

The problem with the Patriot Act is that history shows that the government WILL abuse it, given the opportunity. This is a government, after all, that had the FBI investigating the lyrics to Louie Louie years back. I don't have a problem with drastic measures when they are legitimately needed. Hell, Lincoln suspended Habeas Corpus during the Civil War. I just don't want them becoming a permanent part of the landscape.

Comment

the funniest part that i found was that on cnn.com, two headlines down was the following headline:

Report: Bush OK'd spying on Americans
            http://www.cnn.com/2005/LAW/12/16/bu....ap/index.html

Comment

really though, does legal vs illegal even matter anymore?

If they need to torture someone, they'll do it. If they need to spy on Americans, they'll do it.
              I don't think this administration cares whether or not it's legal.

Comment

Good ridance to bad law.
                "Quiet fool before I am kicking the butt!"
                -My three year old trash talking to me

"Integrity can't be bought or sold---you either have it or you don't."
                -The Honky Tonk Man

"If you can't be a shining example, at least be a dire warning."
                -My Father to me one day

"No surprise. Until Aikido sheds its street-brawling, thuggish image, it'll never be mainstream."
                -Don Gwinn

Comment

52-47 is a little to close for me to be comfortable and surprising considering the majority . There wasnt a raise in pay included in the Patriot Act ... so I can see how some Republicans would vote it down .

But I am glad some of our senators are not dead set on screwing us over at every chance they get .... I hope it continues .
                  I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
                  BILL HICKS,
                  1961-1994

"Never believe that anti-Semites are completely unaware of the absurdity of their replies. They know that their remarks are frivolous, open to challenge. But they are amusing themselves, for it is their adversary who is obliged to use words responsibly, since he believes in words. The anti-Semites have the right to play. They even like to play with discourse for, by giving ridiculous reasons, they discredit the seriousness of their interlocutors. They delight in acting in bad faith, since they seek not to persuade by sound argument but to intimidate and disconcert. If you press them too closely, they will abruptly fall silent, loftily indicating by some phrase that the time for argument is past."
                  ---Jean-Paul Sartre

Comment

Originally posted by Christmas Spirit
                    52-47 is a little to close for me to be comfortable and surprising considering the majority . There wasnt a raise in pay included in the Patriot Act ... so I can see how some Republicans would vote it down .

But I am glad some of our senators are not dead set on screwing us over at every chance they get .... I hope it continues .
                    Remember, next year is an election year, Bush is not popular, the Patriot Act is not popular. Showing support for them is not in the best interest of a politician's career.
                    "Quiet fool before I am kicking the butt!"
                    -My three year old trash talking to me

"Integrity can't be bought or sold---you either have it or you don't."
                    -The Honky Tonk Man

"If you can't be a shining example, at least be a dire warning."
                    -My Father to me one day

"No surprise. Until Aikido sheds its street-brawling, thuggish image, it'll never be mainstream."
                    -Don Gwinn

Comment

A lot of the old line Republicans are Libertarians. The Patriot Act was completely outside what they would normally support.

Comment

i'm not sure if this is what you're saying. but the 52 majority was actually FOR the renewal. but they needed 60 (or 2/3) to win. they didn't get it. technically, it was 8 votes away from being renewed. wonder how much lobbying it might take to get them.

Comment

Originally posted by MaverickZ
                          i'm not sure if this is what you're saying. but the 52 majority was actually FOR the renewal. but they needed 60 (or 2/3) to win. they didn't get it. technically, it was 8 votes away from being renewed. wonder how much lobbying it might take to get them.
                          Well color me stupid I did misread that ... and now thatI think about it .. I should have fucking known better to began with . I am still kinda loopy from 7 hours under the gun last night ( tattoo gun , not like bang bang I am being shot at ) and the lack of sleep that came with it .
                          I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
                          BILL HICKS,
                          1961-1994

"Never believe that anti-Semites are completely unaware of the absurdity of their replies. They know that their remarks are frivolous, open to challenge. But they are amusing themselves, for it is their adversary who is obliged to use words responsibly, since he believes in words. The anti-Semites have the right to play. They even like to play with discourse for, by giving ridiculous reasons, they discredit the seriousness of their interlocutors. They delight in acting in bad faith, since they seek not to persuade by sound argument but to intimidate and disconcert. If you press them too closely, they will abruptly fall silent, loftily indicating by some phrase that the time for argument is past."
                          ---Jean-Paul Sartre

Comment

Originally posted by kepetri
                            A lot of the old line Republicans are Libertarians. The Patriot Act was completely outside what they would normally support.
                            The switch came before the Patriot Act when I dont know but , I noticed that it almost seemed as if the Parties all switched places and started pretending to be each other around the Reagon admin ...
                            BILL HICKS,
                            1961-1994

---Jean-Paul Sartre

Comment

They voted not to vote on it yet, but to still discuss it. Its called a filibuster....

Bush said he wants it permaneant or nothing. They tried to extend it for 3 months so they could have it in effect to fight Terrorists, or at least to fight American dissidents, and Bushco rejected the idea. Forever or nothing....so he wants the powers, or he wants another 9/11 so he can get more powers.

Funnist thing is Bob Frisk lobbyed hard to pass it, then voted no!! Idiot.....(yes I got that from Rhani Rhodes :qright7: )

"If anything is gained from this, it should be you both wanting to get better so you can make up for how crappy you are now." KidSpatula about the Sirc vs DTT Gong Sau Event
                              Until the Bulltube is fixed:
                              DTT vs Sirc

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X