do u wash ur belt??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

do u wash ur belt??

I was wondering why so many instructors find it so important not to wash ur belt. I have always wash my belt ever since i was a jr. white belt participating in bjj. I have always done it ever since then. When i think about it, I guess its avoids harmful bacteria and also disease because u don't know what kind of crap other people have on the mat or what the mat even has aka ring work, scabies. I guess i'm just more anal than ever since i took pathogenic micro biology.

Just wondering if u guys wash ur belt???

I do
    GS

No. kthxbai

Comment

If it gets filthy, yes. If it gets raggedy, buy a new one. I heard many excuses like, "You'll wash away the knowledge." and other crap.
      ______
      Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

RIP SOLDIER

Didn't anyone ever tell him a fat man could never be a ninja
      -Gene, GODHAND

You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
      The key to fighting two men at once is to be much tougher than both of them.
      -Daniel Tosh

Comment

Don't know abuot anyone else but our belts are difficult to tie & don't stay done up till you've washed them a couple of times.

PS think this should be in Genral BS not here...
        "This won't hurt me a bit..." - My training partner.:new_astha

Comment

Originally posted by EVIL ASIA
          If it gets filthy, yes. If it gets raggedy, buy a new one. I heard many excuses like, "You'll wash away the knowledge." and other crap.
          Fuck...dude you just explained why I suck no gi...my knowledge is in my god damn belt.
          Grrr...Wonder if I can wear it as a head band.
          And that's when I figured out that tears couldn't make somebody who was dead alive again. There's another thing to learn about tears, they can't make somebody who doesn't love you any more love you again. It's the same with prayers. I wonder how much of their lives people waste crying and praying to God. If you ask me, the devil makes more sense than God does. I can at least see why people would want him around. It's good to have somebody to blame for the bad stuff they do. Maybe God's there because people get scared of all the bad stuff they do. They figure that God and the Devil are always playing this game of tug-of-war game with them. And they never know which side they're gonna wind up on. I guess that tug-of-war idea explains how sometimes, even when people try to do something good, it still turns out bad.

Comment

Sorry, the belt has to be placed on a specific chaktra for the knowledge transfusion to work. Although, it might work if you wear a headband during class, but I can't comment on the quality of headband-type-media.
            I'm not drowning my sorrows, I'm preserving them in alcohol.

Comment

L:JSLSFDJfadl;fsa;rrgg.

You're SOOO lucky I'm leaving right now. This was NOT a "BS in the Martial Arts" thread and didn't belong in the Bullshido forum. Read the announcement.

Comment

I dont wash my gi either. Who wants to do some ground work?

Seriously, I dont wash my belt because of a long dojo tradition. It doesn't hurt anything and its part of a neat little thing we do when people rank. None of us really belive that our skill is in our belt (or we would wear it all the time). But I do wash the belt about 3 times in a row when i first get it. Same with my gi. It helps break it in and in the case of the gi shrink it up.
                Last edited by FictionPimp; 11/15/2005 7:18am, .
                "a martial art that has no rules is nothing but violence" - Kenji Tomiki

Comment

Originally posted by GenkiSudo
                  I was wondering why so many instructors find it so important not to wash ur belt. I have always wash my belt ever since i was a jr. white belt participating in bjj. I have always done it ever since then. When i think about it, I guess its avoids harmful bacteria and also disease because u don't know what kind of crap other people have on the mat or what the mat even has aka ring work, scabies. I guess i'm just more anal than ever since i took pathogenic micro biology.

Just wondering if u guys wash ur belt???

I do
                  What the hell are you saying?!

Comment

an unwashed belt is -2 charisma, but +5 damage when you strangle someone with it.
                    well worth the trade-off.

Comment

Only with the blood of my enemies..

Comment

i dont wash mine. i guess i should though. When i first started bjj i had a black kimono, and it's color got on my white belt. So i have a grey belt instead of a white belt.

Comment

Belt - no
                          Jock - yes

Comment

I don't wash mine, out of tradition and all that, but not for the reason people above have been giving (knowledge washing out).

Our custom is to let it get sweaty, worn out, etc in order to show the amount of work and effort you've put into practice. Soften it through work, not through a few cycles in the wash. I guess many dojos have their own approach to it, but my answer to the original post is:

"no u do not wash ur belt LOL!!11n00b"

Comment

plus i never cared about washing my belt after hearing my teacher always repeating something he heard from royce or rorian "belt is only their to hold up 3 inches above ur butt, the rest u have to back up on ur own". I remember him saying that when i was younger all of kids in my class use to laught whenever he said that.
                              GS

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X