The fine line between pleasure and pain,,,

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The fine line between pleasure and pain,,,

Most of us have heard that the occupation with the highest suicide rates is dentistry, supposedly because inflicting pain on other people leads to psychological unrest. So where does this leave a fighter?

It has been my personal belief that fighting is one of the most natural acts a human can undertake - there can be no life without violence; even childbirth is violent, and inter-personal violence, for better or for worse, can certainly be looked at as one of the hallmarks of civilization - though it has been happening much longer of course. I interpret fighting is an intrinsic part of being human, and a connection with our ancestors, however I was curious to find out whether, if pulling the teeth of another human can scar one psychologically, how does injuring another person for sport play out in the psyche?

After a little bit of searching, it turns out that the dentistry/suicide theory is actually an urban myth triggered by a 1933 study.

If you're interested in reading a little about it, there are some links here:
    http://www.suicidereferencelibrary.c...t4~id~1368.php
    http://www.apa.org/monitor/jan01/suicide.html
    http://www.straightdope.com/mailbag/msuicide.html
    http://www.dentalcomfortzone.com/arc...itSuicide.html

With that said, however, I'd love to hear some of your opinions on the subject.

Talk to some BDSM'ers .
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

"Never believe that anti-Semites are completely unaware of the absurdity of their replies. They know that their remarks are frivolous, open to challenge. But they are amusing themselves, for it is their adversary who is obliged to use words responsibly, since he believes in words. The anti-Semites have the right to play. They even like to play with discourse for, by giving ridiculous reasons, they discredit the seriousness of their interlocutors. They delight in acting in bad faith, since they seek not to persuade by sound argument but to intimidate and disconcert. If you press them too closely, they will abruptly fall silent, loftily indicating by some phrase that the time for argument is past."
    ---Jean-Paul Sartre

Comment

I was hoping this thread would go in a completely different direction when I read the title...

schucks...

I wonder if there is a high suicide rate for IRS agents. Those guys cause more pain than any fighter on a daily basis.
      :google:

Number of bottles of beer downed by me and my girlfriend within a half hour while playing the Channel 7 "how many times will they say 'snow' game" during the "Blizzard of '06": 3.5 each.

Comment

I think it'd be pretty hard to generalize suicide rates, since they vary so much from country to country.

I've read that Japan has an extremely high suicide rate for a developed country, but there are cultural traditions that sort of explain that.

I just remembered that I have an asian woman in a wedding dress pretending to commit suicide with a huge gun as my avatar. How fitting.
        "No. Listen to me because I know what I'm talking about here." -- Hannibal

Comment

yeah, but the japanese invented suicide. the ninja specifically, it was totally on some guys website. He said they do it when they got no one else to kill, so it must be true.

Fighters wouldnt be commiting suicide, I reckon they don't pay too much mind to the fact that theyre actually 'injuring' someone. I know Mike Tyson probably doesnt lose any sleep over bighting someones ear off.

Comment

Originally posted by Leonidas
            yeah, but the japanese invented suicide. the ninja specifically, it was totally on some guys website. He said they do it when they got no one else to kill, so it must be true.

Fighters wouldnt be commiting suicide, I reckon they don't pay too much mind to the fact that theyre actually 'injuring' someone. I know Mike Tyson probably doesnt lose any sleep over bighting someones ear off.
            I think there is a mental separation between "beating the crap out of someone who is fighting back in a controlled atmosphere" and "inflicting injury maliciously."

Comment

Not if mikes in the ring :P

Comment

Originally posted by Leonidas
                Not if mikes in the ring :P
                Originally posted by garbanzobean
                I think FOR SANE PEOPLE AT LEAST, that there is a mental separation between "beating the crap out of someone who is fighting back in a controlled atmosphere" and "inflicting injury maliciously."
                Better?

Comment

That's why you instill the use of a safe word. I typically go with "furbegngfuguygen"
                  Legendary Street Fighter

Comment

Violence predates humanity. It's a part of life. A 'ring fighter' has sublimated his own violent tendencies into a socially acceptable outlet, thereby giving him the release he needs, without the nasty side effects (like jail, murder, etc.). If anything, he's probably more well adjusted than most.

Except for WCL, of course.
                    Originally posted by pauli
                    i was once told that "do" means wrecking people's shit for your own philosophical betterment.

Originally posted by melvin_peebles
                    I could be mistaking dumbness for delusion. I'll have to go dig out my DSM IV. It's great to have stumbled upon this site. The rich fauna and flora of mental dysfunction that exists in the martial arts is amazing. It's like the Galapagos.

Comment

Better?
                      Aww, mikes just misunderstood, he aint insane.

...fine, point taken, i just like being predantic.

Comment

The fine line between pleasure and pain is called marriage.
                        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGXiN-_BCts

Numa ^ 3

Comment

Originally posted by AkiraMusashi
                          The fine line between pleasure and pain is called marriage.
                          ^awesome

Most of us have heard that the occupation with the highest suicide rates is dentistry, supposedly because inflicting pain on other people leads to psychological unrest. So where does this leave a fighter?
                          i may be steriotyping a little too hard here, but all the kids who want to become dentists seem already a bit messed up.

i dont think its the work environment causing the scuicide trend, i think its due to the fact that different jobs appeal to different people, apparrently more scuicidal people choose dentistry as a profession...

it could also be a distortion of statistics, or it could be pure fluke

Comment

Originally posted by roly
                            i may be steriotyping a little too hard here, but all the kids who want to become dentists seem already a bit messed up.
                            After my usual post-comp physio session (AKA: OH GOD, IT HURTS), I want to add physiotherapists to the list of medical/health care professions that enjoy inflicting pain in a very special way.

I could swear that my physio was trying to alternatively americana and armbar me as she was working to manipulate the joint capsule in my shoulder in some way. I shudder to think what would happen with the combination of BJJ and physiotherapy .

Comment

This thread is causing me pain.
                              :icon_twis

To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence;
                              Supreme excellence consists in breaking the enemy's resistance without spilling your Guinness.
                              Sun "Fu Man JhooJits" Tzu, the Art of War & Guinness

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X