Classical Music and Musicians

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Classical Music and Musicians

Anyone else here like listening to classical music? Even though I am quite young still, this has somehow grown on me, most likely through my father who is a huge fan. By classical music I refer to the common view of the classical style, not the classical era music...

Currently, I am listening to Chopin's Polonaise, and might learn it soon if I can manage... which brings me to my next question... Who here practises some musical instrument, I play the Piano, and a guy in my BJJ club plays the trombone I think, as he is very anxious about his lip or fingers...

Yeah I do, most kinds ( i spose its a pretty generic term). I have a particular thing for 19th century romantic opera does that count? Anyways, so many people out there lump all classical music all together as 'relaxing'. What a bunch of crap! I do play some piano but I am very much out of practice and I always sucked anyway, and usually played blues.

Comment

I heard a lot of the 'old masters' played by my literature teacher while we worked, she was kinda my first link to classical. Its nicely performed and orchestrated, but most pieces just seem to bore me if Im soley listening to them. ie: not doing something else at the time.

I play guitar currently. Play anything 'cept jazz and country.

Comment

Like DayoftheJackass I have a liking for opera, especially Wagner. Verdi is ok too. I don't play any instruments. (I made a half-assed try to learn the violin when I was a kid though.)

Comment

Look for "Zigunerweisen" by Pablo de Sarasate for one of the most beautiful, hardest violin pieces in the world.

Then there's this piece - "The Glory and the Grandeur." http://www.russellpeck.com/glory_and_grandeur.html It's a massive orchestral piece that requires 5 percussionists.

Joaquin Rodrigo's "Concierto de Aranjuez" is also fantastic, as it incorporates the 12-string guitar.

"Firebird Suite" by Stravinski, Gliere's "Russian Sailor's Dance", Schubert's "Unfinished Symphony", I could keep going on.

I pick up my violin every now and then.

Comment

Nothing like a little Bach to swing the mood for a day.But I usually spend more time listening to jazz nowadays. Chet Baker, Billie Holiday and Ella Fitzgerald mainly.
            I don't play any instruments. If I had the time I would take up the trumpet.
            " If one wants to have a friend one must also want to wage war for him: and to wage war one must be capable of being an enemy." - Fr. Nietzsche 'On The Friend' Thus Spake Zarathustra

Comment

Look for "Zigunerweisen" by Pablo de Sarasate for one of the most beautiful, hardest violin pieces in the world.
              Just downloaded this... very nice piece, Piano seems nice, but not really something you can do solo, and I doubt there is anyone that good at violin to perform with me.

No Pianists?

Comment

I hope you got the Itzhak Perlmann version.

I didn't know you wanted piano pieces. What about Rhapsody in Blue by Gershwin?

Comment

Originally posted by Astrosmurf
                  I have a liking for opera
                  http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=27369
                  Last edited by Olorin; 11/15/2005 2:16am, .

Comment

I like classical, I listen to it regularly.
                    Try this online station on: http://www.wksu.org/
                    It's what I usually listen to, it help to soothe my savage mind.

And oh yeah, I play the bass.
                    “We are surrounded by warships and don’t have time to talk. Please pray for us.” — One Somali Pirate.

Comment

I like a lot of classical and baroque period music. I think my all-time favourite song is probably Tomaso Albinoni's Adagio.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr_Mantis
                        I like classical, I listen to it regularly.
                        Try this online station on: http://www.wksu.org/
                        It's what I usually listen to, it help to soothe my savage mind.

And oh yeah, I play the bass.
                        One of my best friends is a solid bass player. He plays jazz on Cruise ships for a living.
                        Do you play the upright or just the regular guitar, Mantis?
                        " If one wants to have a friend one must also want to wage war for him: and to wage war one must be capable of being an enemy." - Fr. Nietzsche 'On The Friend' Thus Spake Zarathustra

Comment

Originally posted by OZZ
                          One of my best friends is a solid bass player. He plays jazz on Cruise ships for a living.
                          Do you play the upright or just the regular guitar, Mantis?
                          I've played both, I have a bass guitar. The best thing about a standup is the portability of it, playing outside with a bunch of people jamming away is a good time. It's been years. I played in a hardcore punk band at one time. Not quite classical, but classic none the less.
                          “We are surrounded by warships and don’t have time to talk. Please pray for us.” — One Somali Pirate.

Comment

Shostakovich: The heavy metal of classical music.
                            "Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats." H.L. Mencken

Comment

Rondo a la turca by Mozart.

Greatest.
                              Piano.
                              Piece.
                              Ever.
                              And lo, Kano looked down upon the field and saw the multitudes. Amongst them were the disciples of Uesheba who were greatly vexed at his sayings. And Kano spake: "Do not be concerned with the mote in thy neighbor's eye, when verily thou hast a massive stick in thine ass".

--Scrolls of Bujutsu: Chapter 5 vs 10-14.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X