Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Peter H.
    replied
    A couple of Indie guys have died in the ring this year. The last big name to die in the ring was Owen Hart.

I've read about some of the death's in Japan. I don't watch much Japanese wrestling, so I don't know how it is there, but here, a lot of the female wrestlers really have no business in the ring, because instead of getting actually trained female wrestlers, the promoters will pick up models and strippers, teach them a handful of moves and let them loose with the sharks.

There are some serious quality female wwrestlers, but you won't see them on TV much here, with the exception of Victoria in WWE and Gail Kim in TNA. Trish is also a good worker, but that's after years of doing it, she was originally a fitness model they put in the ring who learned the craft after that. Lita alternates between good and frighteningly bad.

Still, they are nothing like Moolah, Nora "Molly Holly" Greenwald, Madusa, the Jumping Bomb Angels, Lelaini Kai and many others.

Leave a comment:

• LLL
    replied
    Originally posted by Ronin
    Wow.
    I stopped watching wrestling when it became more about crap than the wrestling, nomatter what, when the bad guys became the heros and women became no more than sluts, well, it crossed that line.
    Steroids and drug abuse had always been there, but to extent it is now...

Sad, very sad.

I don't really watch wrestling, but keeping in touch with both your post and the original topic, you should take a look at the death counts in Japanese WOMEN's pro wrestling... I think they're up there with WWE & co... most of them are in the ring, too, and not drugged out backroom stuff.

That's hardcore... In the bad sense.

Leave a comment:

• KhorneliusPraxx
    replied
    I just googled myself...I was indeed incorrect...sorry.

Leave a comment:

• KhorneliusPraxx
    replied
    I swear it was Pillman.

Leave a comment:

• Peter H.
    replied
    Yeah, the Von Erichs are a horrid tragedy, Kevin and Fritz are the only ones that didn't have an untimely death.

And I could be wrong on the death, I just seem to remember one doing a jump, and since I can't recall the details of his death or google it, I thought it was Chris.

Leave a comment:

• Psycho Dad
    replied
    Originally posted by Peter H.
    He was the first of the recent list of young guys with heart attack deaths.

You may be thinking of Chris Von Erich, I think he committed suicide by jumping off something, but I could be wrong.
    Oh God the Von Erichs, that was another tragedy altogether; just imagine being Fritz Von Erich and seeing five out of your six sons die.

As for Chris, I always though it was a self-inflicted gunshot that did him in.

Leave a comment:

• Ronin
    replied
    Sword Chucks, sweet.

Died Oddly:

Bruiser Brody, 1988 - Stabbed to death at a show in Puerto Rico during an argument with another wrestler, Jose Gonzalez. No charges filed as none of the PR wrestlers would testify against him and the American wrestlers were too scared.

Dino Bravo, 1993 - Shot to death, he was involved in a cigarette smuggling ring in Canada with ties to organized crime.

Louie Spicolli, 1998 - Choked on his own vomit after mixing Soma with alcohol. Rumored that Rob Van Dam had provided him with the drugs.

Brian Pillman, 1997 - Heart Attack, at the age of 35. Officially he had an undetected heart condition, but also had a history of drug abuse and perscription painkiller addiction. Died the day before a PPV show he was scheduled to be on.

Rick Rude, 1999 - Heart Attack, at the age of 41. Another "Heart Attack" victim with a history of using steriods and abusing pain killers.

Rick "Renegade" Williams, 1999 - Suicide after being fired from WCW.

Owen Heart, 1999 - Equipment mishap at the Over The Edge PPV. Fell to his death during an entrance where he rapelled into the ring.

Curt Hennig, 2003 - Cocain Overdose.

Miss Elizabeth, 2003 - Drug overdose, Lex Luger went to jail for providing her with the drugs.

Yokozuna, 2000 - Heart Attack, at the age of 34. He was morbidly obese, but was also weeks away from returning to the ring in WCW to face Hulk Hogan.

Davey Boy Smith "The British Bulldog", 2002 - Heart Attack, at the age of 39. Another one witha history of steroid and drug abuse.

Road Warrior Hawk, 2003 - Apparent heart attack, at the age of 45. And another with a history of drug use.

And that is just the big names, who have passed within recent memory. There are a lot more, indie guys or mid level guys.

Edit: One I forgot and should be beaten with a nightstick for it: Ray Traylor "The Big Bossman", 2004 - Heart Attach at the age of 42. While heavy he was in very good shap for a man his size and didn't have a history of drug use.

Wow.
    I stopped watching wrestling when it became more about crap than the wrestling, nomatter what, when the bad guys became the heros and women became no more than sluts, well, it crossed that line.
    Steroids and drug abuse had always been there, but to extent it is now...

Sad, very sad.

Leave a comment:

• Peter H.
    replied
    He was the first of the recent list of young guys with heart attack deaths.

You may be thinking of Chris Von Erich, I think he committed suicide by jumping off something, but I could be wrong.

Leave a comment:

• KhorneliusPraxx
    replied
    I thought 'Flying' Brian Pillman took a high dive off a hotel balcony.

Leave a comment:

• Peter H.
    replied
    "It was heart failure. It was from his past - the drinking and the drug abuse. They found signs of heart disease. She (the examiner) said that the blood vessels were very worn and narrow, and that just showed all the abuse from the scheduling of work and his past. And Eddie just worked out like crazy all the time. It made his heart grow bigger and work harder and the vessels were getting smaller, and that's what caused the heart failure. He went into a deep sleep.
    http://wrestling.insidepulse.com/articles/44506

The unfortunately expected answer to the question of what happened.

Leave a comment:

• Peter H.
    replied
    Originally posted by JKDChick
    How many Pro Wrestlers have died "oddly" now? Steriods or otherwise? They better get their act cleaned up, pronto.

He always seemed kind of ... sad to me.
    Sword Chucks, sweet.

Died Oddly:

Bruiser Brody, 1988 - Stabbed to death at a show in Puerto Rico during an argument with another wrestler, Jose Gonzalez. No charges filed as none of the PR wrestlers would testify against him and the American wrestlers were too scared.

Dino Bravo, 1993 - Shot to death, he was involved in a cigarette smuggling ring in Canada with ties to organized crime.

Louie Spicolli, 1998 - Choked on his own vomit after mixing Soma with alcohol. Rumored that Rob Van Dam had provided him with the drugs.

Brian Pillman, 1997 - Heart Attack, at the age of 35. Officially he had an undetected heart condition, but also had a history of drug abuse and perscription painkiller addiction. Died the day before a PPV show he was scheduled to be on.

Rick Rude, 1999 - Heart Attack, at the age of 41. Another "Heart Attack" victim with a history of using steriods and abusing pain killers.

Rick "Renegade" Williams, 1999 - Suicide after being fired from WCW.

Owen Heart, 1999 - Equipment mishap at the Over The Edge PPV. Fell to his death during an entrance where he rapelled into the ring.

Curt Hennig, 2003 - Cocain Overdose.

Miss Elizabeth, 2003 - Drug overdose, Lex Luger went to jail for providing her with the drugs.

Yokozuna, 2000 - Heart Attack, at the age of 34. He was morbidly obese, but was also weeks away from returning to the ring in WCW to face Hulk Hogan.

Davey Boy Smith "The British Bulldog", 2002 - Heart Attack, at the age of 39. Another one witha history of steroid and drug abuse.

Road Warrior Hawk, 2003 - Apparent heart attack, at the age of 45. And another with a history of drug use.

And that is just the big names, who have passed within recent memory. There are a lot more, indie guys or mid level guys.

Edit: One I forgot and should be beaten with a nightstick for it: Ray Traylor "The Big Bossman", 2004 - Heart Attach at the age of 42. While heavy he was in very good shap for a man his size and didn't have a history of drug use.
    Last edited by Peter H.; 11/15/2005 5:05pm, .

Leave a comment:

• JKDChick
    replied
    How many Pro Wrestlers have died "oddly" now? Steriods or otherwise? They better get their act cleaned up, pronto.

He always seemed kind of ... sad to me.

Leave a comment:

• Cassius
    replied
    Eddie was a great wrestler, every wrestler in Texas under 250lbs tried to emulate Eddie in some way, moves, mannerism, the smarmy smirk, the attitude. Both Diamond Back Kid and Jason Chavez doa Frog Splash because Eddie did a Frog Splash. That's the best tribute a wrestler can have, that there are other guys out there who think so highly of you that they want to steal your moves and be just like you.
    That frog splash, along with Rey Mysterio Jr's antics (I think he did a flying hurricanrana/frankensteiner), ranks up there with my favorite moves of all time.

Couldn't ever get enough of his "Cheat to Win" antics. I honestly think I still have a tape somewhere of the PPV where he and Chavo had a match where the consequence was that the loser had to shave his head. WCW Bash at the Beach '99, maybe?

Every kid needs a hero to look up to and a villain to despise.

Leave a comment:

• Phrost
    replied
    It's YTMND, home of "Nigga stole my bike". What did you expect?

Leave a comment:

• KhorneliusPraxx
    replied
    This is the tackiest thing I've found today...
    http://guerrerosbestmatch.ytmnd.com/

Leave a comment:

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
X