No announcement yet.

Eddie Guerrero 1967-2005

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The initial guess was a heart attack or something similar. I wouldn't rule out an aneurysm, either.

He was clean the last few years of his life, but he definitely had drug/acohol problems for a good bit of his career. That shit takes a toll. Oh, and he wrestled, which appears to be harder on the body than actually fighting professionally.

I grew up watching this guy. My disinterest in Pro Wrestling these days notwithstanding (no offense to Peter H. or other wrestlers/wrestling afficionados, just kind of outgrew it), watching that stuff is what got me interested in martial arts in the first place. I heard of the UFC because of Ken Shamrock, Dan Severn, and Steve Blackman (sp?) being in the WWF at the time.

RIP Eddie. You entertained me for years, and for that I'm grateful.
    "No. Listen to me because I know what I'm talking about here." -- Hannibal

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by garbanzobean
        The initial guess was a heart attack or something similar. I wouldn't rule out an aneurysm, either.

He was clean the last few years of his life, but he definitely had drug/acohol problems for a good bit of his career. That shit takes a toll. Oh, and he wrestled, which appears to be harder on the body than actually fighting professionally.

I grew up watching this guy. My disinterest in Pro Wrestling these days notwithstanding (no offense to Peter H. or other wrestlers/wrestling afficionados, just kind of outgrew it), watching that stuff is what got me interested in martial arts in the first place. I heard of the UFC because of Ken Shamrock, Dan Severn, and Steve Blackman (sp?) being in the WWF at the time.

RIP Eddie. You entertained me for years, and for that I'm grateful.
        No offense taken.

The initial report was a heart attack while brushing his death and the preliminary tests where inconclusive, so now we wait for the autopsy.

But at 38 and in great physical shape, and with a history of drug use and suspected steriod use, the odds are it'll be something like that. The same thing that happened to Rude, Bulldog and Pillman.

Eddie was a great wrestler, every wrestler in Texas under 250lbs tried to emulate Eddie in some way, moves, mannerism, the smarmy smirk, the attitude. Both Diamond Back Kid and Jason Chavez doa Frog Splash because Eddie did a Frog Splash. That's the best tribute a wrestler can have, that there are other guys out there who think so highly of you that they want to steal your moves and be just like you.
        Last edited by Peter H.; 11/15/2005 8:29am, .
        "Quiet fool before I am kicking the butt!"
        -My three year old trash talking to me

"Integrity can't be bought or sold---you either have it or you don't."
        -The Honky Tonk Man

"If you can't be a shining example, at least be a dire warning."
        -My Father to me one day

"No surprise. Until Aikido sheds its street-brawling, thuggish image, it'll never be mainstream."
        -Don Gwinn

Comment

In this year alone we've lost Chris Candido, Shinya Hashimoto, and now Eddie Guerrero. This really sucks.
          Originally posted by Newb1

B) I could not beat a Judoka with Aikido. I could only beat an Aikidoka with Aikido. I thought that was understook.

Comment

This is the tackiest thing I've found today...
            http://guerrerosbestmatch.ytmnd.com/

Comment

It's YTMND, home of "Nigga stole my bike". What did you expect?

Comment

Originally posted by Peter H.
                Eddie was a great wrestler, every wrestler in Texas under 250lbs tried to emulate Eddie in some way, moves, mannerism, the smarmy smirk, the attitude. Both Diamond Back Kid and Jason Chavez doa Frog Splash because Eddie did a Frog Splash. That's the best tribute a wrestler can have, that there are other guys out there who think so highly of you that they want to steal your moves and be just like you.
                That frog splash, along with Rey Mysterio Jr's antics (I think he did a flying hurricanrana/frankensteiner), ranks up there with my favorite moves of all time.

Couldn't ever get enough of his "Cheat to Win" antics. I honestly think I still have a tape somewhere of the PPV where he and Chavo had a match where the consequence was that the loser had to shave his head. WCW Bash at the Beach '99, maybe?

Every kid needs a hero to look up to and a villain to despise.
                "No. Listen to me because I know what I'm talking about here." -- Hannibal

Comment

How many Pro Wrestlers have died "oddly" now? Steriods or otherwise? They better get their act cleaned up, pronto.

He always seemed kind of ... sad to me.
                  Monkey Ninjas! Attack!

Comment

Originally posted by JKDChick
                    How many Pro Wrestlers have died "oddly" now? Steriods or otherwise? They better get their act cleaned up, pronto.

He always seemed kind of ... sad to me.
                    Sword Chucks, sweet.

Died Oddly:

Bruiser Brody, 1988 - Stabbed to death at a show in Puerto Rico during an argument with another wrestler, Jose Gonzalez. No charges filed as none of the PR wrestlers would testify against him and the American wrestlers were too scared.

Dino Bravo, 1993 - Shot to death, he was involved in a cigarette smuggling ring in Canada with ties to organized crime.

Louie Spicolli, 1998 - Choked on his own vomit after mixing Soma with alcohol. Rumored that Rob Van Dam had provided him with the drugs.

Brian Pillman, 1997 - Heart Attack, at the age of 35. Officially he had an undetected heart condition, but also had a history of drug abuse and perscription painkiller addiction. Died the day before a PPV show he was scheduled to be on.

Rick Rude, 1999 - Heart Attack, at the age of 41. Another "Heart Attack" victim with a history of using steriods and abusing pain killers.

Rick "Renegade" Williams, 1999 - Suicide after being fired from WCW.

Owen Heart, 1999 - Equipment mishap at the Over The Edge PPV. Fell to his death during an entrance where he rapelled into the ring.

Curt Hennig, 2003 - Cocain Overdose.

Miss Elizabeth, 2003 - Drug overdose, Lex Luger went to jail for providing her with the drugs.

Yokozuna, 2000 - Heart Attack, at the age of 34. He was morbidly obese, but was also weeks away from returning to the ring in WCW to face Hulk Hogan.

Davey Boy Smith "The British Bulldog", 2002 - Heart Attack, at the age of 39. Another one witha history of steroid and drug abuse.

Road Warrior Hawk, 2003 - Apparent heart attack, at the age of 45. And another with a history of drug use.

And that is just the big names, who have passed within recent memory. There are a lot more, indie guys or mid level guys.

Edit: One I forgot and should be beaten with a nightstick for it: Ray Traylor "The Big Bossman", 2004 - Heart Attach at the age of 42. While heavy he was in very good shap for a man his size and didn't have a history of drug use.
                    Last edited by Peter H.; 11/15/2005 5:05pm, .

-The Honky Tonk Man

-My Father to me one day

"No surprise. Until Aikido sheds its street-brawling, thuggish image, it'll never be mainstream."
                    -Don Gwinn

Comment

"It was heart failure. It was from his past - the drinking and the drug abuse. They found signs of heart disease. She (the examiner) said that the blood vessels were very worn and narrow, and that just showed all the abuse from the scheduling of work and his past. And Eddie just worked out like crazy all the time. It made his heart grow bigger and work harder and the vessels were getting smaller, and that's what caused the heart failure. He went into a deep sleep.
                      http://wrestling.insidepulse.com/articles/44506

The unfortunately expected answer to the question of what happened.

-The Honky Tonk Man

-My Father to me one day

-Don Gwinn

Comment

I thought 'Flying' Brian Pillman took a high dive off a hotel balcony.

Comment

He was the first of the recent list of young guys with heart attack deaths.

You may be thinking of Chris Von Erich, I think he committed suicide by jumping off something, but I could be wrong.

-The Honky Tonk Man

-My Father to me one day

-Don Gwinn

Comment

Sword Chucks, sweet.

Died Oddly:

Bruiser Brody, 1988 - Stabbed to death at a show in Puerto Rico during an argument with another wrestler, Jose Gonzalez. No charges filed as none of the PR wrestlers would testify against him and the American wrestlers were too scared.

Dino Bravo, 1993 - Shot to death, he was involved in a cigarette smuggling ring in Canada with ties to organized crime.

Louie Spicolli, 1998 - Choked on his own vomit after mixing Soma with alcohol. Rumored that Rob Van Dam had provided him with the drugs.

Brian Pillman, 1997 - Heart Attack, at the age of 35. Officially he had an undetected heart condition, but also had a history of drug abuse and perscription painkiller addiction. Died the day before a PPV show he was scheduled to be on.

Rick Rude, 1999 - Heart Attack, at the age of 41. Another "Heart Attack" victim with a history of using steriods and abusing pain killers.

Rick "Renegade" Williams, 1999 - Suicide after being fired from WCW.

Owen Heart, 1999 - Equipment mishap at the Over The Edge PPV. Fell to his death during an entrance where he rapelled into the ring.

Curt Hennig, 2003 - Cocain Overdose.

Miss Elizabeth, 2003 - Drug overdose, Lex Luger went to jail for providing her with the drugs.

Yokozuna, 2000 - Heart Attack, at the age of 34. He was morbidly obese, but was also weeks away from returning to the ring in WCW to face Hulk Hogan.

Davey Boy Smith "The British Bulldog", 2002 - Heart Attack, at the age of 39. Another one witha history of steroid and drug abuse.

Road Warrior Hawk, 2003 - Apparent heart attack, at the age of 45. And another with a history of drug use.

And that is just the big names, who have passed within recent memory. There are a lot more, indie guys or mid level guys.

Edit: One I forgot and should be beaten with a nightstick for it: Ray Traylor "The Big Bossman", 2004 - Heart Attach at the age of 42. While heavy he was in very good shap for a man his size and didn't have a history of drug use.

Wow.
                            I stopped watching wrestling when it became more about crap than the wrestling, nomatter what, when the bad guys became the heros and women became no more than sluts, well, it crossed that line.
                            Steroids and drug abuse had always been there, but to extent it is now...

Sad, very sad.

Comment

He was the first of the recent list of young guys with heart attack deaths.

You may be thinking of Chris Von Erich, I think he committed suicide by jumping off something, but I could be wrong.
                              Oh God the Von Erichs, that was another tragedy altogether; just imagine being Fritz Von Erich and seeing five out of your six sons die.

As for Chris, I always though it was a self-inflicted gunshot that did him in.
                              Originally posted by Newb1

B) I could not beat a Judoka with Aikido. I could only beat an Aikidoka with Aikido. I thought that was understook.

Comment

Yeah, the Von Erichs are a horrid tragedy, Kevin and Fritz are the only ones that didn't have an untimely death.

And I could be wrong on the death, I just seem to remember one doing a jump, and since I can't recall the details of his death or google it, I thought it was Chris.

-The Honky Tonk Man

-My Father to me one day

-Don Gwinn

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                                X