Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tyra Banks get laughed at right in her face....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tyra Banks get laughed at right in her face....

....while portraying a 350lb woman, highlighting the existence of size discrimination and prejudice in the country:

http://tv.msn.com/tv/article.aspx?news=205952&GT1=7361

Tyra Banks Goes Undercover As Obese Woman
    Nov 2, 3:42 PM EST

The Associated Press

LOS ANGELES -- Tyra Banks has gone undercover as a 350-pound woman. Banks wore the fat suit to experience what it's like to be obese.

"It seemed like the last form of open discrimination that's OK, and I decided to put on a 350-pound suit myself and live that life for a day and see what happens," the 31-year-old former supermodel told AP Radio in a recent interview. "And it was one of the most heartbreaking days of my life."

Banks said she was shocked at the reaction.

"I started walking down the street and within 10 seconds, a trio of people looked at me, snickered, looked me right in my eye and started pointing and laughing in my face," the talk-show host said. "And I had no idea it was that blatant."

The segment will air Monday on "The Tyra Banks Show."

Banks, who had a sonogram on her show in September to prove that her breasts are real, is also planning a Nov. 18 segment on pursuing "a beautiful booty."

She will reveal her own "dimpled butt" and receive endermologie treatment on the set.

=======

My take: I don't consider myself qualified to judge a person's weight on their habits or medical condition. So I err on the side of politeness and don't make any presumptions about them being a fat slob or anything like that.

How do I know that their anti-depressant drugs they take for a grief-related situation hasn't made them gain weight? Thyroid problems? Etc.

I think its time Tyra let me have my way with her.
    Just for experiments sake.

Comment

Wow, people treat you differently when you don't look like a supermodel? Never knew that. Thanks Tyra.
      "Quiet fool before I am kicking the butt!"
      -My three year old trash talking to me

"Integrity can't be bought or sold---you either have it or you don't."
      -The Honky Tonk Man

"If you can't be a shining example, at least be a dire warning."
      -My Father to me one day

"No surprise. Until Aikido sheds its street-brawling, thuggish image, it'll never be mainstream."
      -Don Gwinn

Comment

You know it extends beyond that, Peter. Non-supermodels don't get laughed at in their face, typically.

Comment

Originally posted by samurai_steve
          ...started pointing and laughing in my face,"
          I have always wanted to do something in her face...and laughing wasn't it.

Banks, who had a sonogram on her show in September to prove that her breasts are real...
          What was the verdict? Not that I care. I'm sure they've been augmented but that is OK with me.

Banks is also planning a Nov. 18 segment on pursuing "a beautiful booty."
          ...and they didn't consult me for the show...pursuing a beautiful booty is my favorite hobby.
          :5butthead

Comment

You know it extends beyond that, Peter. Non-supermodels don't get laughed at in their face, typically.
            No, but you get treated differently by the way you look. Everyone does, there maybe some extreme, but it's a fact of life. And I admit laughed in the face is a very rare occurance, I hang out with some truely gargantuan people, and no one has ever laughed in their face even the ladies I know who are 300+ pounds, so I think that may be an exageration.

My company has multiple offices in a little strip center seperated by a Chinese restraunt. When I have to go talk to someone in billing, I have to walk through the strip centre, which is something I do multiple times during the day.

This morning, I am walking back from the accounting office after dropping off a report and an older lady is coming towards me, I am walking on the far right side of the sidewalk. When she sees me walking towards her, she stares and moves so far to her right that she bumps into the windows of the Chinese restraunt to give me the widest berth possible.

At least a few times a week, people assume I don't speak spanish, so when they want to say something offensive around me, they will just say it in spanish, but I understand almost every word of what they say.

When it happens you deal with it.

I think it Tyra may have been exagerating or over reacting, since she's used to having a naturally positive response based upon her looks, the shock of meetig a little ridicule or negative reaction may be a lot harder on her than someone who faces that kind of reaction on a regular basis.
            "Quiet fool before I am kicking the butt!"
            -My three year old trash talking to me

"Integrity can't be bought or sold---you either have it or you don't."
            -The Honky Tonk Man

"If you can't be a shining example, at least be a dire warning."
            -My Father to me one day

"No surprise. Until Aikido sheds its street-brawling, thuggish image, it'll never be mainstream."
            -Don Gwinn

Comment

Originally posted by Peter H.

My company has multiple offices in a little strip center seperated by a Chinese restraunt. When I have to go talk to someone in billing, I have to walk through the strip centre, which is something I do multiple times during the day.

This morning, I am walking back from the accounting office after dropping off a report and an older lady is coming towards me, I am walking on the far right side of the sidewalk. When she sees me walking towards her, she stares and moves so far to her right that she bumps into the windows of the Chinese restraunt to give me the widest berth possible.

Well, if you weren't running around naked maybe, just maybe, that wouldn't happen.

Comment

No if he were running around naked I'm certain he'd trip himself (being a fellow tall man I know about this problem). It was probably the boxers with little hearts on them again or perhaps his wrestling attire.

Gringo Grande
                MMA Record vs Llamas 0-1-0
                (The Llama bit my junk but the ref didn't see it).

Comment

I think it Tyra may have been exagerating or over reacting, since she's used to having a naturally positive response based upon her looks, the shock of meetig a little ridicule or negative reaction may be a lot harder on her than someone who faces that kind of reaction on a regular basis.
                  Exactly. She's so used to people constantly kissing her ass and complementing her on her looks that she probably started freaking out the first time someone failed to make goo goo eyes at her.

Comment

You guys are focusing on Tyra Banks. Not the issue of size discrimination. We already know Tyra Banks is hot.

Comment

Size discrimination ?
                      What about intelligence discrimination?
                      What about penis size discrimination?
                      Discrimination against really tall people, really short people, really hairy, really pale, really bald, how about people who smoke? don't smoke? people who smell, people with allergies, people with no allergies, people that give head, people that don't, virgins, sluts, whores, piimps, I could go on and on, but then I would be discrimianting against people who don't give a fuck.

Comment

Basically people just need to grow a spine and mabye a pair, and stop worrying so much.

Comment

This morning, I am walking back from the accounting office after dropping off a report and an older lady is coming towards me, I am walking on the far right side of the sidewalk. When she sees me walking towards her, she stares and moves so far to her right that she bumps into the windows of the Chinese restaurant to give me the widest berth possible.
                          Assume for a moment that some of us couldn't pick you out of a lineup. Why would these people either avoid you or say offensive things about you? Do you wear your "Ultimate Warrior" makeup to work? :toothy5:

And this "People laughed at me because they thought I was fat" thing seems very strange. Fat people are the friggin' majority in this country now. It's not like seeing someone walk by with a siamese twin face coming out of their head. So why would anyone point and laugh at something that you literally see every single day in public?

(points) Look, cars driving by. HAH!
                          Last edited by CaliKyle; 11/03/2005 1:52pm, .

Comment

I don't think it would be that uncommon for people to laugh at a woman walking down the street wearing a fat suit.

How often do you see someone wearing a fat suit? I bet it is pretty funny.

Comment

Originally posted by A.D.D
                              I don't think it would be that uncommon for people to laugh at a woman walking down the street wearing a fat suit.

How often do you see someone wearing a fat suit? I bet it is pretty funny.
                              That's what I was thinking... maybe she just looked funny having a Tyra Banks face on a fat suit body?

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X