Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I have erected a punching bag in my basement

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    I have erected a punching bag in my basement

    You have all managed to convince me that BJJ is the shit, so I have decided to sign up at Kioto BJJ. Anyway, I have also decided that I can't go without learning to strike as well, but since I would like to get a grip on BJJ first, I won't be signing up at a karate dojo as yet. I'd just like to know how I can avoid breaking my wrist through my own idiocy, and maybe some basic exercises with it.

    "Chi Powar" is not an acceptable answer, btw. :jerkit2yf :5sigh:

    #2
    start gentle and build up. Stress punching form. Get some lessons.

    Comment


      #3
      Heh, he said "erect"...

      Use wrist curls to strengthen your wrist if you want. I've found that grip training in BJJ is pretty good as it is. Don't punch with a limp wrist, and be sure to get proper form in your punches. NHB gloves will probably help absorb some of the impact as well. Just don't be an idiot and hit the bag drunk or anything.

      Oh, and chi powar.
      :google:

      Number of bottles of beer downed by me and my girlfriend within a half hour while playing the Channel 7 "how many times will they say 'snow' game" during the "Blizzard of '06": 3.5 each.

      Comment


        #4
        Originally posted by Darkpaladin
        Heh, he said "erect"...

        Use wrist curls to strengthen your wrist if you want. I've found that grip training in BJJ is pretty good as it is. Don't punch with a limp wrist, and be sure to get proper form in your punches. NHB gloves will probably help absorb some of the impact as well. Just don't be an idiot and hit the bag drunk or anything.

        Oh, and chi powar.
        Thanks. Would wrapping my fists and wrist help too?


        Originally posted by JohnnyCache
        start gentle and build up. Stress punching form. Get some lessons.
        Lessons are a bit beyond me right now. :new_infin

        Comment


          #5
          Yeah, using a wrist wrap (properly) will stabilize your wrist. I picked up a book on kickboxing once, and the only useful info i got out of it was how to use the wristwrap. But still, proper punching is the best way to avoid injury. You can probably pick up a decent book on boxing and learn enough basic punching technique to at least keep from getting injured.
          :google:

          Number of bottles of beer downed by me and my girlfriend within a half hour while playing the Channel 7 "how many times will they say 'snow' game" during the "Blizzard of '06": 3.5 each.

          Comment


            #6
            Originally posted by Darkpaladin
            Yeah, using a wrist wrap (properly) will stabilize your wrist. I picked up a book on kickboxing once, and the only useful info i got out of it was how to use the wristwrap. But still, proper punching is the best way to avoid injury. You can probably pick up a decent book on boxing and learn enough basic punching technique to at least keep from getting injured.
            I'll stop by a library and investigate further.

            Comment


              #7
              http://www.boxinggyms.com/tips/handwraps.htm

              ...and knowing is half the battle. YooOO JOE!

              Comment


                #8
                How much are you paying for Kioto ands whats the schedule like?

                Comment


                  #9
                  It's GOOO JOE, fool.

                  Anyway, why don't you just use your angry mode power?

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Originally posted by Sirc
                    It's GOOO JOE, fool.

                    Anyway, why don't you just use your angry mode power?
                    teh pSyChO rAgE!1?

                    [non-serious]it would break the bag.[/non-serious]

                    That was a joke. :XXhippylo

                    Comment


                      #11
                      I tell this to everyone that asks about bag work:
                      Gym a boxing gym, even if its only for a few weeks, you will learn and be corrected.

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Originally posted by Ronin
                        I tell this to everyone that asks about bag work:
                        Gym a boxing gym, even if its only for a few weeks, you will learn and be corrected.
                        Uh...

                        ...Sure...

                        *googles*

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Originally posted by Sirc
                          It's GOOO JOE, fool.

                          Anyway, why don't you just use your angry mode power?
                          http://www.yojoe.com/faq/gifaq.shtml#b2

                          You need to buy one of these: http://www.80stees.com/products/GI_J...irt_yo_joe.asp

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Damn it.

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Wataru Akiyama,
                              There's a boxing gym in Bohemia it's called Heavyhitters. They're are a very good gym, with a very good competition team. Once boxers reach a certain level at my gym they usually gravitate towards Heavy Hitters. Also right down the block from Aspen Total Fitness is a kickboxing school.

                              Here's Heavy Hitters web page
                              http://www.heavyhittersboxing.com/
                              Last edited by ojgsxr6; 11/03/2005 2:07pm, .

                              Comment

                              Collapse

                              Edit this module to specify a template to display.

                              Working...
                              X