stretchmaster?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

stretchmaster?

I decided i want one of those leg stretching machines like the proforce stretchmaster. Does anyone have one and can anyone recommend a particular one or anything.

Instead, come up with inventive ways to stretch and you'll never need a machine, i.e. lay on the ground next to a corner in your house with your hips just past the corner. Now bring the leg next to the wall up and plant your heel on the wall. Then you just let your bodyweight stretch your hamstring by keeping your other leg fully extended (it should float a few inches off the ground). I do this hamstring stretch every day, it feels great and it's a no cheat way to do it.

Comment

The machines are just a gimmick, like buying an ab roller type crunch apparatus. You don't need it. Body weight is all you need to stretch.

Comment

try yoga. i used to think it was really stupid, but the other day my instructor made us all do these yoga positions, for and hour and 30 minutes, we all felt really calm and flexible when the yoga was finished.

Comment

Originally posted by Method2Madness
          try yoga. i used to think it was really stupid, but the other day my instructor made us all do these yoga positions, for and hour and 30 minutes, we all felt really calm and flexible when the yoga was finished.
          Yoga is awesome! He'll need extra work on his own though to do the splits. Yoga alone won't accomplish that, at least not for most people.

Comment

yeah those splits can be a real b*tch somtimes.

Comment

that's basically what i want it for. U c i had a herniated disc about,,, wow two years ago already but it gave me wicked sciatica and i couldn't even walk without white hot pain shooting up the backs of my legs. During this time i muched way too many pain pills and didn't walk hardly at all. as a result my legs atrophied something fierce, and the muscles actually seemed to shorten, leaving me with the flexibility of an old man. A chiro told me the nerve would heal at a rate of an inch per month, so now i'm up to two feet down from my lumbar area where i ripped the disk, so i thijk the nerve should be healed up by now, though the psoas, iliotibial band and tensor fascia lata are still somewhat stiff and massaging them helps some but i am pretty much dead set on on of those machines. Before my injury i could do the full lotus, and now, well i'm better than i was but still not back to pre-injury status. My leg strenght is back totally, i can do five or six one legged squats on each leg, but my hip flexibility is still pretty sad. I tried sumo squat stretches, which seem to help a lot, but there's a sticking point that is beyond pain, it's just like there's a barrier there and the leg won't go out any more. And for me to hold my legs apart requires constant tension on my itb, and it's not strong enough to hold long enough or strong enough to get the stretch i feel i need. I really thinkl the machine can help.

Comment

Seriously, the machines are a waste of money. Just stretch more. Buy a book on flexibility.

The Wharton's (sp) have a book on stretching that's a good place to start.

Comment

I highly recommend you pick up a copy of "Stretching Scientifically" by Thomas Kurz and/or "Beyond Stretching" by Pavel Tsatsouline (Dragon Door press).

If you need to build both strength and flexibility, isometric stretching is the way to go.

I've heard horror stories about the machines - people overdoing it & tearing muscles & such. I would not recommend them, especially considering your issues with your legs.

Comment

I really liked "Stretching Scientifically" as well, because it explained in detail the mechanism behind what you were doing as well as the exercise itself. After reading that book, I don't do much in the way of static stretching before training anymore. I warm up and stretch dynamically, saving static stretching for my cool-down.

Comment

(cough) well i have stretching scientifically. It's good, but you gotta realize my legs are really fucked up. THe most stretching scientifically says to do for my flexibility limits (which are i have trouble turning my hips outward , like a ballet dancer, and trouble lifting the leg out sideways for the side kick) are to press isometrically against the directions i want more movement and to press isometrically with those same directions. in doing simple side leg raises my legs are pretty stiff and weak. I believe an apparatus that i can control with my hands (strong) is a good thng b/c iot can hold a stretch longer than i can physically hold one just using my legs (weak.) .

Comment

Does anybody have any videos or pics of isometric stretches? I'm googling isometric stretches but haven't found any yet.

Comment

Originally posted by oldman_withers
                          Instead, come up with inventive ways to stretch and you'll never need a machine, i.e. lay on the ground next to a corner in your house with your hips just past the corner. Now bring the leg next to the wall up and plant your heel on the wall. Then you just let your bodyweight stretch your hamstring by keeping your other leg fully extended (it should float a few inches off the ground). I do this hamstring stretch every day, it feels great and it's a no cheat way to do it.

Yes this is the best thing.

Don't waste 200 bucks on that shit when you can do this method.

I find a shelf or ledge near my house and just put one leg on it so it looks like I am doing a side kick. For 5 minutes or so I just let my hip flexor open up. If you are getting the machine I think you are, this will do nearly the exact same thing. So does the wall method but I prefer this one(youll know why if you do it often). Bruce Lee did it to open his flexors and I love doing it. Added 5-6 inches to my kicks in about 4-5 weeks.

Of course there is a huge difference in static and dynamic stretching. I work with both to add height on my kicks.

Comment

The problem with a stretching maching (for me, anyway) is that it doesn't do anything that you can't do without it. For example, the stretch described above (lying on the floor like you're sitting on the wall, and letting gravity pull your legs apart) is as or more effective than the machine, and a hell of a lot cheaper. I've got one of the machines that was given to me by my instructor, because he found it to be practically useless. It's not any better than just stretching.

Comment

but gravity will never pull my legs down in their current condition.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X