Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Former Chief of Seattle Police: Legalize the use of all drugs.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Former Chief of Seattle Police: Legalize the use of all drugs.

Fucking awesome. I agree 1000% - the control over your own state of conciousness is the fundamental civil right.

The desire for prohibition is an unconcious extension of the Christian dogma that pleasure and intoxication for its own sake is sinful. A country that ostensibly separates church and state has no business trying to legislate morality by criminalizing drugs.
    "You know what I like about you, William? You like guns AND meditation."

Comment

Pothead.

Comment

Originally posted by Zendetta
        Fucking awesome. I agree 1000% - the control over your own state of conciousness is the fundamental civil right.

The desire for prohibition is an unconcious extension of the Christian dogma that pleasure and intoxication for its own sake is sinful. A country that ostensibly separates church and state has no business trying to legislate morality by criminalizing drugs.
        Nonsense -- the issue isn't that simple.

The notion that taking drugs, smoking, etc. only affects "you" is generally false. Smokers, for example, place a huge burden on the medical industry, while endangering anyone that walks within 2nd hand smoke range of them. Driving while intoxicated kills people, fucks up your car, and maybe injures/kills you (which has its own costs to society as a whole, particularly when insurance companies get involved...).

If there was a way to insure stupid asswipes doped up would be 100% secluded and incapable of affecting anyone else around them in any way whatsoever, then by all means, legalize it. (Unfortunately, people are stupid, and weak -- especially drug users, I'd wager.)

I'm not saying crimilazing or de-criminalizing is the answer. I'm just saying that the issue of legalizing drugs isn't that cut and dried. It's a messy problem.

-daGorilla

Comment

I also agree with the chief.

Though, do notice how he waited til he was an *ex*-chief to say such things.

Comment

Originally posted by Ronin
            Pothead.
            Puritan.

Comment

I don't know about legalizing "harder" drugs as it is so easy to become dependent on them, but I see absolutely no reason not to decriminalize marijuana. Other than having to put up with even more annoying useless hippies, I mean. Wait, how about we make THAT illegal and let people smoke pot if they want to?
              "No. Listen to me because I know what I'm talking about here." -- Hannibal

Comment

I don't know if I agree with ALL drugs. Things like crystal meth should stay illegal. But MJ, blow, zoomers and 'cid are cool... Not that I've done those drugs. :lookround
                "Prison is for rapists, thieves and murderers. If you lock someone up for smoking a plant that makes them happy, you're the fucking criminal." - Joe Rogan

El Guapo says dance!

Comment

Originally posted by daGorilla
                  Nonsense -- the issue isn't that simple.
                  Not easy but certainly simple. It appears more complex because you are viewing the probelm thru a flawed paradigm(s).

The notion that taking drugs, smoking, etc. only affects "you" is generally false. Smokers, for example, place a huge burden on the medical industry, while endangering anyone that walks within 2nd hand smoke range of them. Driving while intoxicated kills people, fucks up your car, and maybe injures/kills you (which has its own costs to society as a whole, particularly when insurance companies get involved...).
                  We can (and should) ban smoking in certain public places to prevent the exposure you speak of. If drug (or alcohol) use leads to damage or injury, then the person should be prosecuted on those grounds.

(PS - research indicates that stoners drive MUCH safer than drunks, and only marginally worse than sober drivers)

Regarding the health care costs: As I am defending legalization on libertarian grounds, I need to represent that I DO NOT think that society owes you care if your bad habits catch up with you.

You are actually articulating the problem very well: we live in a country where people cede personal responsibility to the State. I firmly believe this paradigm to be thoroughly broken - i do not need or want the government to dictate my lifestyle choices.

If there was a way to insure stupid asswipes doped up would be 100% secluded and incapable of affecting anyone else around them in any way whatsoever, then by all means, legalize it. (Unfortunately, people are stupid, and weak -- especially drug users, I'd wager.)
                  This is the fundamental flaw in your paradigm - not realizing that, for many, the urge to get intoxicated is NATURAL. Many other species like to catch a buzz too - certain bird species have been observed leaving fruit on the tree so that it will ferment and they can get drunk. THe birds don't do it because they can't 'deal' or 'cope', they do it because they like to.

And yet your 'wager' is that drug users are especially stupid and weak. The assumption is that doing drugs means that you are somehow morally corrupt.

This is an unconcious extension of the puritanical fear of pleasure I mentioned earlier and sane drug policy will not be possible unless this hypocritical cultural tendency is examined.

I'm not saying crimilazing or de-criminalizing is the answer. I'm just saying that the issue of legalizing drugs isn't that cut and dried. It's a messy problem.

-daGorilla
                  Its a problem that gets messier in the face of bad laws.

Comment

I don't get how he said it would stop crystal meth labs. If he made crystal meth legal, then who cares if the labs are there? If he didn't make crystal meth legal, then why wouldn't new labs keep springing up?

PL

Comment

It would be hard for small home grown meth labs to spring up because everything will have to be legalized - meth labs will have general guidelines in safety/operation with a health inspector checking everytime just like any breweries and tobacco companies.

And besides, if potheads have to choose between certified/lab tested coke with homegrown god knows if it's coke or not, which one will they choose?

The other problem I see springing up here is the loss of the war-against-drug budget that is supporting a lot of the police force. It might, however, bring in more jobs for blue collar workers just like the breweries and tobacco companies. Plus, weed farmers can actually export the stuff legally now instead of having their fields burnt to crisp all the time.

Comment

Legalization is too good of an idea to ever get passed. If these drugs are legalized, then all of the illicit trafficking the government indirectly profits Mexico, Columbia, etc, will be lost. It would put an end to too many problems for it to become a reality.
                        Tough is not how you act, tough is how you train.

Comment

Ok, so what's the difference between crystal meth being regulated and it being "homegrown"?

Are the labs themselves the problem, or the drug? If it's the drug, then why would regulating it matter?

PL

Comment

Damn straight. Legalise that shit and put a tax on it!

This idea isn't exactly new. See if you can find Ben Elton's "High Society", which discusses a similar idea.
                            Last edited by Kayne; 10/26/2005 4:00am, .
                            I'm not drowning my sorrows, I'm preserving them in alcohol.

Comment

Brilliant.

But you guys are forgetting one thing with the meth talk. If ALL drugs were legalized why would anyone pick meth over coke? Coke is a much cleaner high. Why bother with injecting heroin when you have plenty of opium to smoke or drink? Same with crack. It'd also kill huffing which would be just swell.

I'd say that 99% of the people that would choose to use would be able to do so with being part of a "drug abuse problem".
                              You can't make people smarter. You can expose them to information, but your responsibility stops there.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X