BJJ etiquette questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BJJ etiquette questions

(I searched, and all I got was something about prostheses)

Anyway,

1) This guy at training fucking stinks, and sweats right through his gi, and whenever I have to roll with him (it's like grabbing a wet towel), I can't concentrate on anything besides how gross it is to have my face stuck in that stench. I mean I don't expect anyone to smell like daisies after a work out but this guy is full on. Is there a polite way to decline rolling with this fellow (feigned injury maybe?) or does one just get used to being bathed in someone else's filth? Also, the same guy rammed his nuckles into my neck today, is that normal? I got a bunch of hair pulled out too, but I don't think that was on purpose.

2) Two new guys started today, and we had to do this thing where five people lie down in guard position and you take it in turns getting into their guard and the person holding guard has to try to hold you down for a 3 count. I was lying there and this new guy came up and was laughing. WTF? I asked him what was funny and he said he wasn't laughing at me, but I'm not so sure. I asked him if he'd roll in the last part of the class, and he was kind of funny about it but did it anyway. He took it very seriously and when it was time to get up, I let go and he tried to grab my back. Do you think he's funny about training with girls or just has an attitude, and is there anything I can say to make him just chill out about the girl thing, if that's what the issue is?

3) What is the best way to explain to guys that you don't want them to worry about hurting you any more than they would anyone else?
    Last edited by Lothene; 10/25/2005 6:18am, .

1) Learn to stand it. It will help you in life also. I HEARD that in judo you can do the knuckleramming once per position (ie. someone is turtled and you try to get a choke), but haven't heard about it in bjj.

2) He's not used to rolling. And maybe not used to girls.

3) Beat them and if it's easy tell them to go harder, if they seem to be holding back.

Comment

1) Grow a pair and suck it down. You're not there to enjoy the scent of roses.
      2) Punch him in the nuts.
      3) refer to 2)

No, no. Thank me later.

Comment

Originally posted by Lothene
        the same guy rammed his nuckles into my neck today, is that normal?
        I was wondering about this myself.
        One of the places I train at, the guy I was rolling with kept grinding his knuckles into my throat and my sternum. I didn't let it affect me, I just laid there and took it while I tried to grapple. It hurt, but I'm not going to tap out on something stupid like that. All it did was irritate me. This was on Saturday, and my sternum is still sore.

Also, he's the senior student, and I'm a noob. I'm quite a bit bigger than him, but he's probably at least as strong as I am, I'd say, and he's got much better technique, being the senior student and all.

So yeah, my question is also, is this normal?

Comment

Originally posted by warnerj5000
          I was wondering about this myself.
          One of the places I train at, the guy I was rolling with kept grinding his knuckles into my throat and my sternum. I didn't let it affect me, I just laid there and took it while I tried to grapple. It hurt, but I'm not going to tap out on something stupid like that. All it did was irritate me. This was on Saturday, and my sternum is still sore.

Also, he's the senior student, and I'm a noob. I'm quite a bit bigger than him, but he's probably at least as strong as I am, I'd say, and he's got much better technique, being the senior student and all.

So yeah, my question is also, is this normal?
          it's normal in my class to do those things just to annoy your partner.you know to make him uncomfortable enough to make a mistake.

Comment

1) This guy at training fucking stinks,
            Some people stink, got to live with it.

Also, the same guy rammed his nuckles into my neck today, is that normal? I got a bunch of hair pulled out too, but I don't think that was on purpose.
            There's ruff stuff in BJJ. Knuckles to neck is not a high level tech but can be useful to distract. Got to live with it. Bruises, scratches, pulled hair (I used to gave a ponytail:).

2) Two new guys started today, and we had to do this thing where five people lie down in guard position and you take it in turns getting into their guard and the person holding guard has to try to hold you down for a 3 count. I was lying there and this new guy came up and was laughing. WTF? I asked him what was funny and he said he wasn't laughing at me, but I'm not so sure. I asked him if he'd roll in the last part of the class, and he was kind of funny about it but did it anyway. He took it very seriously and when it was time to get up, I let go and he tried to grab my back. Do you think he's funny about training with girls or just has an attitude, and is there anything I can say to make him just chill out about the girl thing, if that's what the issue is?
            There's certain etiquette in rolling that comes with mattime. Some people are uncomfortable at first, they don't know when to start and when to end etc. There are people that totally spaz the first time they roll, but later they learn. It is an unusual situation to be rolling around with people if you are not used to it.

3) What is the best way to explain to guys that you don't want them to worry about hurting you any more than they would anyone else?
            Tap them out if they let you.

Tomas
            Current stage of death: denial

Comment

Does the guy stink because he doesn't wash his gi, or does he stink because he's naturally stinky? You can't really do anything about the second one, but if someone's not washing their gi and keeping it in their gym bag so it gets all nice and moldy ... well, that ain't right. (It's even a rule in competition Judo. Don't know about BJJ). You could always be all, "Woooh! When was the last time you washed your gi?" About the knuckles thing -- if the other guy is better than you, and you're trying for that painful jaw thing, it's not going to submit him, and now he's REALLY PISSED OFF. If you're better than the other guy, why are you messing around with the stupid pressure points? And either way you're not really learning anything.

Comment

1) There's nothing you can really do about it. Bringing it up in anyway will offend him no matter what. In the end, he can't really help himself if he sweats a lot. I know I sweat a lot, but I don't stink. People at my dojo call me 'springtime fresh' because i'm so sweet smelling ;) . The knuckle grinding is a common distraction technique, personally I think it's a bitch move. Armbar him when he does it (of course this depends on your position).

2) People who are new to grappling tend to find it awkward since most people aren't used to having others in such close proximity. They'll get used to it eventually. Maybe he was aroused? I think that guy has to grow up a little. As for now knowing when to stop, just tell him he's new anyways.

3) Get them to respect you, fight hard and tap them often. They'll realize that you CAN fight and they'll step their game up.

Comment

1) I knock stinky people out, so I don't have your problem.

2) I fond memories of the first time I got wood rolling with a girl, so does she...

3) I knock people out, so I don't have that problem.

Comment

Originally posted by Method2Madness
                    it's normal in my class to do those things just to annoy your partner.you know to make him uncomfortable enough to make a mistake.
                    I'm pretty good at making mistakes on my own. I don't need to be distracted to make them.

Comment

(I searched, and all I got was something about prostheses)

Anyway,

1) This guy at training fucking stinks, and sweats right through his gi, and whenever I have to roll with him (it's like grabbing a wet towel), I can't concentrate on anything besides how gross it is to have my face stuck in that stench. I mean I don't expect anyone to smell like daisies after a work out but this guy is full on. Is there a polite way to decline rolling with this fellow (feigned injury maybe?) or does one just get used to being bathed in someone else's filth? Also, the same guy rammed his nuckles into my neck today, is that normal? I got a bunch of hair pulled out too, but I don't think that was on purpose.
                      Get a hair wrap to avoid people pulling your hair. As far as nasty gi's on concerned, it depends on the situation. If you've been training hard and you get the guy during the last sparring match of the night, you've got to expect hes going to be perspiring a bit- thats something you'll have to deal with. If hes not washing his gi on a regular basis though, thats a completely different story and theres no simpler way than telling someone to wash their stank ass gi straight up.

He should grow out of it. Maybe he thought that it would be easy for him to do this drill against you because you're a girl. Like others have said, simply train hard with him- try to kick his ass. When he realizes he needs to work hard to keep you from catching him, his ego and sexual desires will go out the window. He wont think too much about man vs woman if he doesnt have the blood to the brain to help him do it.

Of course, he could have also felt uncomfortable or somewhat embarassed during his first class. Some people it takes a little bit of time for them to get used to how close the contact is and how personal a fight it really is. Laughing it just another natrual reaction to unnerve someone's emotions.

Train hard with them. If you can catch, or at least dominate them, they wont worry about them hurting you so much as they will you hurting them.

Comment

What's the deal with stinky people?
                        Shower. use soap. If you are extra stinky, you need Zinc
                        :new_all_c

Comment

Oh you're a girl... This post makes more sense now.

1) My girlfriend had the same problem about a stinky guy at the gym. I think his religion may have precluded using deodorant. My advice to you both is learn escapes and a good top game. Keeping your head above the smell helps...

2) The kids a nub it'll pass.

3) Choke them out. Guys won't go harder with a girl until she starts whipping their ass.

Comment

If he's coming to class unshowered or with an unwashed gi, I'd talk to the instructor; that's just disrespectful all the way around.

Comment

Maybe he forgot to put on deodorant that day, or overslept and didn't have time for a shower, or wasn't able to wash his gi before class... these things happen.
                              If it's a one-time thing, let it slide.

If he stinks every day, find the source of the odor, and tell him to eliminate it.

It's rude to show up stinky, so any incidental rudeness in telling him he stinks is justified.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X