X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Neildo
    replied
    Originally posted by Sirc
    + rep for Neildo for teh funnay. (Deliberate misspellings damn you!).
    Rep redirected to plasmagoat, who actually deserves it. (but thanks anyway)

When some douchebag says, "And to reiterate, I'm a vaginal wipe for a ukranian prostitute..." unless they're on their third time repeating their notion, it's wrong. Iterate means to repeat for the first time. To reiterate is to repeat what you've already repeated, thus the third time. I corrected my English teacher on this once and then the next day I got transferred to another class.
    Making teachers look dumb is awesome.

And finally, Achilles is really pronounced Ah-shills not A-kill-ees. That is all.
    *learned new thing, forgot 10 things* Thanks a lot.
    Last edited by Neildo; 10/23/2005 1:36pm, .

Leave a comment:

• King Sleepless
    replied
    + rep for Neildo for teh funnay. (Deliberate misspellings damn you!)

Another thing that bugs me is this:

When some douchebag says, "And to reiterate, I'm a vaginal wipe for a ukranian prostitute..." unless they're on their third time repeating their notion, it's wrong. Iterate means to repeat for the first time. To reiterate is to repeat what you've already repeated, thus the third time. I corrected my English teacher on this once and then the next day I got transferred to another class.

Another few little facts that are not well known. The difference between a hotel and a motel is the parking lot. With a motel, the vehicles can park right outside the rooms. With hotels the parking is an almost seperate entity and can not be outside of the rooms. Inns are something that came up around in England when you could get drunk to the point of alcoholic poisoning and not get taxed for it. The owners of the bars would have rooms for the people who were too passed out drunk to leave and then they would charge them for the night's rent.

And finally, Achilles is really pronounced Ah-shills not A-kill-ees. That is all.

Leave a comment:

• Neildo
    replied
    Originally posted by plasmagoat
    ...they use annoying acronyms ("lol") and lazy grammar, ("so...then i went 2 school.....and it was rediculous lol")..
    :eusa_clap :laughing6 :laughing7 :laughing1

Leave a comment:

• Omar
    replied
    Originally posted by Kidspatula
    This is the interweb, so I afford my fellow forum goer a certain amount of leniency in their net-lingo. It just becomes a problem when communication is sacrificed because people are too lazy to press return or use an occassional punctuation mark. Usually when I type a post it's FULL of glaring errors, but I use just enough consideration to make it easy for people to follow what the fuck I'm saying.

Example of unacceptable netspeak (quoted directly from Myspace Martial arts Rocks forum):

"dude i know what you speak of but...im not the kind of cocky person i always try to stay out of fights cuase i know what it can result too and you dont have a clue about how many idiots live in my area ive had a knife pulled on me before the first thing i did wad try to get out of the situation then i just ran..cuase thats my best chance of survival reall even though i am a balck belt.."

Now let's see how it looks cleaned up a bit:

"Dude, I know what you speak of, but I'm not that kind of cocky person. I always try to stay out of fights, because I know what it can result in, and you dont have a clue about how many idiots live in my area. I've had a knife pulled on me before. The first thing I did was try to get out of the situation. Then I just ran because that's my best chance of survival, even though I am a balck belt."
    That was awsome. A perfect demonstration of the standard. The second version still has at least 2 errors but the first one made my eyes water. I tried to read it 3 times before I gave up and decided it wasn't worth it.

Leave a comment:

• plasmagoat
    replied
    I don't necessarily mind if someone isn't very good at English, but what really irritates me is a native speaker who refuses to write properly. I'm quite good at English (even though I say so myself), yet I constantly see Americans who couldn't type their way out of a wet paper bag. Every word is incorrectly spelled ("rediculous"), they use annoying acronyms ("lol") and lazy grammar, ("so...then i went 2 school.....and it was rediculous lol") and paragraphs are unheard of. Some of them defend this by saying that they don't have to write properly on an Internet forum, for some reason.

Terrible writing makes anyone look like a complete fuckwit, no matter how profound the underlying message is.

Leave a comment:

• G.R. Bug
    replied
    Also, "it's" is a contraction that means the same thing as "it is." Example: "It's too bad the dry cleaner refused to clean the cat poop out of your ninja suit."

"Its" is the possessive form of "it." Example: "The cat seemed pleased to know that its poop would perfume the ninja training hall for weeks to come."

Leave a comment:

• G.R. Bug
    replied
    My use of "infer" was deliberately incorrect, meant to be the punchline of a subtle joke. My knowledge of Van Halen will sustain me throughout the horrors of non-guitar music.

Now, then -- perhaps the most puzzling thing about the live performances of Roth-era VH was vocalist/front man David Lee Roth's habit of halting the band's momentum in mid-song by telling the other guys to "bring it down" (i.e. start playing a bland, background riff over and over, rather than proceeding with the song in its standard arrangement) so that he could engage in rambling, drawn-out stage raps. I don't know anyone who enjoyed this feature of the VH live experience, and considering that the band's recorded songs were invariably short and focused, it's out of character.

If I ever met any member of Roth-era VH, one of the first things I would ask would be "did everybody in the band WANT Roth to do that, or what?"

Leave a comment:

• Dr. Fagbot Q. MacGillicuddy, PhD
    replied
    from the linked entry (admittedly taken slightly out of context): "A number of critics have remarked that utilize is an unnecessary substitute for use. It is true that many occurrences of utilize could be replaced by use with no loss to anything but pretentiousness."

so what, you don't want to lose pretentiousness? poop loops? with your gong sau and your brazilian jiu-jitsu and your fancy-lad utilize. sheesh. i repel your gong sau with my fearsome psoriasis.

anyway, AP style > everything else. bah! every time i see someone drop a "utilize" where a "use" will do, i think of the quote, "that's how stupid people think smart people talk."

bug, i wasn't trying to infer anything, aside from the fact that i'm a dick. and i'm not really sure how your van halen threat really changes much, frankly. but it doesn't matter -- i've been removed from tuesday-night duties at the dojo, so the incessant thump of sasha and digweed DJ sets from 1993 will soon obliterate all your thoughts of the rock 'n' roll music.

Leave a comment:

• G.R. Bug
    replied
    Originally posted by Poop-Loops
    http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=utilize

Dictionary.com says other wise.

Do you wish to Gong Sau?

PL
    BNH -- Forget Gong Sau, I will treat this as a license to discuss my thoughts on Van Halen music with you every time I see you for the remainder of 2005.

Leave a comment:

• G.R. Bug
    replied
    Originally posted by Bad News Hughes
    hey bug, did you know that "utilize" actually means to employ something for a novel use, other than the one for which it was intended? and that people swap it out with "use" when they want to sound smarter than they are? and it's sad when that happens, because it's wrong? huh? did you know that? huh? huh?
    What, so I am disqualified from grousing about the most common, dumb-assed, bathroom-graffiti-quality spelling/punctuation error just because I thought there was no difference between "use" and "utilize?" Is that what you're trying to infer?
    Last edited by G.R. Bug; 10/22/2005 8:25pm, .

Leave a comment:

• Poop Loops
    replied
    http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=utilize

Dictionary.com says other wise.

Do you wish to Gong Sau?

PL

Leave a comment:

• Dr. Fagbot Q. MacGillicuddy, PhD
    replied
    Originally posted by G.R. Bug
    Oh, oh, oh!

"Your" is a possessive that indicates something belongs to "you." Example: "The cat pooped on your ninja suit."

"You're" is a contraction that means the same thing as "you are." Example: "You're crazy if you think I'm going to clean the cat poop off that ninja suit."

Thank you!
    hey bug, did you know that "utilize" actually means to employ something for a novel use, other than the one for which it was intended? and that people swap it out with "use" when they want to sound smarter than they are? and it's sad when that happens, because it's wrong? huh? did you know that? huh? huh?

Leave a comment:

• Lothene
    replied
    I have to admit that I am a bit of a:

Leave a comment:

• Poop Loops
    replied
    I hate people who try to use slang (like "da" and "dem"). Talking is fine, I understand what they are saying, so it doesn't bother me. However, in writing, it's hard to understand what they are saying. I have to THINK about what the word is, and then think about the whole thing. That's twice as much thinking as my brain is capable of.

PL

Leave a comment:

• Torakaka
    replied
    This is the interweb, so I afford my fellow forum goer a certain amount of leniency in their net-lingo. It just becomes a problem when communication is sacrificed because people are too lazy to press return or use an occassional punctuation mark. Usually when I type a post it's FULL of glaring errors, but I use just enough consideration to make it easy for people to follow what the fuck I'm saying.

Example of unacceptable netspeak (quoted directly from Myspace Martial arts Rocks forum):

"dude i know what you speak of but...im not the kind of cocky person i always try to stay out of fights cuase i know what it can result too and you dont have a clue about how many idiots live in my area ive had a knife pulled on me before the first thing i did wad try to get out of the situation then i just ran..cuase thats my best chance of survival reall even though i am a balck belt.."

Now let's see how it looks cleaned up a bit:

"Dude, I know what you speak of, but I'm not that kind of cocky person. I always try to stay out of fights, because I know what it can result in, and you dont have a clue about how many idiots live in my area. I've had a knife pulled on me before. The first thing I did was try to get out of the situation. Then I just ran because that's my best chance of survival, even though I am a balck belt."
    Last edited by Torakaka; 10/22/2005 12:49am, .

Leave a comment:

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
X