No announcement yet.

Punctuation le'sson's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm an adverbial suffix against declension.

Comment

Oh, oh, oh!

"Your" is a possessive that indicates something belongs to "you." Example: "The cat pooped on your ninja suit."

"You're" is a contraction that means the same thing as "you are." Example: "You're crazy if you think I'm going to clean the cat poop off that ninja suit."

Thank you!

Comment

Punctuation ninjas!

If we cannot win the physical, endurance, will, spirit, and mettle fight, then we win through our verbal prowess!

Comment

I bet Phil is jacking off to this thread.

PL

Comment

Now see, why would you give us all that mental image? Well...I wasnt planning on sleeping tonight anyway....

Comment

Are you going to stay up all night masturbating to the thought of Phil masturbating?

PL

Comment

This is the interweb, so I afford my fellow forum goer a certain amount of leniency in their net-lingo. It just becomes a problem when communication is sacrificed because people are too lazy to press return or use an occassional punctuation mark. Usually when I type a post it's FULL of glaring errors, but I use just enough consideration to make it easy for people to follow what the fuck I'm saying.

Example of unacceptable netspeak (quoted directly from Myspace Martial arts Rocks forum):

"dude i know what you speak of but...im not the kind of cocky person i always try to stay out of fights cuase i know what it can result too and you dont have a clue about how many idiots live in my area ive had a knife pulled on me before the first thing i did wad try to get out of the situation then i just ran..cuase thats my best chance of survival reall even though i am a balck belt.."

Now let's see how it looks cleaned up a bit:

"Dude, I know what you speak of, but I'm not that kind of cocky person. I always try to stay out of fights, because I know what it can result in, and you dont have a clue about how many idiots live in my area. I've had a knife pulled on me before. The first thing I did was try to get out of the situation. Then I just ran because that's my best chance of survival, even though I am a balck belt."
                Last edited by Torakaka; 10/22/2005 12:49am, .
                Ranked #9 internationally at 118lbs by WIKBA http://www.womenkickboxing.com/wikba...rch%202009.htm

Comment

I hate people who try to use slang (like "da" and "dem"). Talking is fine, I understand what they are saying, so it doesn't bother me. However, in writing, it's hard to understand what they are saying. I have to THINK about what the word is, and then think about the whole thing. That's twice as much thinking as my brain is capable of.

PL

Comment

I have to admit that I am a bit of a:

Comment

Originally posted by G.R. Bug
                      Oh, oh, oh!

"Your" is a possessive that indicates something belongs to "you." Example: "The cat pooped on your ninja suit."

"You're" is a contraction that means the same thing as "you are." Example: "You're crazy if you think I'm going to clean the cat poop off that ninja suit."

Thank you!
                      hey bug, did you know that "utilize" actually means to employ something for a novel use, other than the one for which it was intended? and that people swap it out with "use" when they want to sound smarter than they are? and it's sad when that happens, because it's wrong? huh? did you know that? huh? huh?
                      Originally posted by Hedgehogey
                      FORM AN ACROBATIC BRIDGE ACROSS OMEGA'S GOOCH
                      Originally posted by Kidspatula
                      Bleep bleep blip bloop

Comment

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=utilize

Dictionary.com says other wise.

Do you wish to Gong Sau?

PL

Comment

Originally posted by Bad News Hughes
                          hey bug, did you know that "utilize" actually means to employ something for a novel use, other than the one for which it was intended? and that people swap it out with "use" when they want to sound smarter than they are? and it's sad when that happens, because it's wrong? huh? did you know that? huh? huh?
                          What, so I am disqualified from grousing about the most common, dumb-assed, bathroom-graffiti-quality spelling/punctuation error just because I thought there was no difference between "use" and "utilize?" Is that what you're trying to infer?
                          Last edited by G.R. Bug; 10/22/2005 8:25pm, .

Comment

Originally posted by Poop-Loops
                            http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=utilize

Dictionary.com says other wise.

Do you wish to Gong Sau?

PL
                            BNH -- Forget Gong Sau, I will treat this as a license to discuss my thoughts on Van Halen music with you every time I see you for the remainder of 2005.

Comment

from the linked entry (admittedly taken slightly out of context): "A number of critics have remarked that utilize is an unnecessary substitute for use. It is true that many occurrences of utilize could be replaced by use with no loss to anything but pretentiousness."

so what, you don't want to lose pretentiousness? poop loops? with your gong sau and your brazilian jiu-jitsu and your fancy-lad utilize. sheesh. i repel your gong sau with my fearsome psoriasis.

anyway, AP style > everything else. bah! every time i see someone drop a "utilize" where a "use" will do, i think of the quote, "that's how stupid people think smart people talk."

bug, i wasn't trying to infer anything, aside from the fact that i'm a dick. and i'm not really sure how your van halen threat really changes much, frankly. but it doesn't matter -- i've been removed from tuesday-night duties at the dojo, so the incessant thump of sasha and digweed DJ sets from 1993 will soon obliterate all your thoughts of the rock 'n' roll music.

Originally posted by Hedgehogey
                              FORM AN ACROBATIC BRIDGE ACROSS OMEGA'S GOOCH
                              Originally posted by Kidspatula
                              Bleep bleep blip bloop

Comment

My use of "infer" was deliberately incorrect, meant to be the punchline of a subtle joke. My knowledge of Van Halen will sustain me throughout the horrors of non-guitar music.

Now, then -- perhaps the most puzzling thing about the live performances of Roth-era VH was vocalist/front man David Lee Roth's habit of halting the band's momentum in mid-song by telling the other guys to "bring it down" (i.e. start playing a bland, background riff over and over, rather than proceeding with the song in its standard arrangement) so that he could engage in rambling, drawn-out stage raps. I don't know anyone who enjoyed this feature of the VH live experience, and considering that the band's recorded songs were invariably short and focused, it's out of character.

If I ever met any member of Roth-era VH, one of the first things I would ask would be "did everybody in the band WANT Roth to do that, or what?"

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                                X