Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Serenity - Joss Whedon

Saw this movie tonight.

If you see any movie this fall, see this one. For the love of all that is holy

This movie has made my all time top 10 of movies.

I've never seen the "Firefly" series, but after this movie I am strongly inclined to do so. From the opening moments of this movie to the very end, there is comedy, drama (the good kind), intrigue, seriousness (nicely balanced out with the comedy thing again), fighting, conspiracies, deaths of major characters (which is always awesome), and some fairly decent babes. On and on the list goes.

I'm not even going to describe this movie, as it wouldn't do this justice. However I will be checking out the nearby Future Shop, or failing that, online, for a copy of the Firefly series.

Highlights of the movie -

- Zombies (That's right, you heard me, SMART zombies. Like 28 days later running fast, cannibalistic, rapist zombies). That alone propels this movie far ahead of the rest.
    - The fights - Fairly *realistic* for a mainstream hollywood movie. There are no G&P's and such. However almost all the fights are noteworthy. However I refuse to spoil them, however when the final confrontation comes and the villain has his sword levelled at the main character, and he pulls out his weapon. You'll probably laugh.
    - The dialogue - It's Joss Whedon. So it's good, flowing dialogue intersped with awesome humour.
    - The space battles - It's what Star Wars wishes it could have been.

I could go on and on but I'd rather not.

This movie may not be for anyone, but I for one really, really enjoyed it. I highly recommend it.

Thanks for that, I might go see it then.

Is it based on Firefly, or are they just similar enough that you want to go see it now?

Comment

No clue. I haven't seen the series. But the movie was good enough for me to feel less guilty about blowing that much money instead of downloading it.

Comment

Originally posted by Kengou
        Thanks for that, I might go see it then.

Is it based on Firefly, or are they just similar enough that you want to go see it now?
        It's "based" on firefly in the sense it is the same crew in the same "universe" so to speak. I haven't seen serenity so I don't know if it picks up where Firefly set off, but if you fell for the charactors you'll probably like firefly.

Comment

kick.... ass! time to go pick up firefly on dvd.

Comment

I give it an 8 out of 10

Comment

http://mp3-postcards.com/listen/?888
              Last edited by Olorin; 10/01/2005 1:24pm, .

Comment

The movie itself isn't open here yet, but I can recommend the briefly-lived Firefly TV series, which I have on DVD. It's great.

Comment

My boyfriend's dorky friends wanted to go, so we went too. We have no TV, so we've never seen Firefly. His ex was OBSESSED with Buffy, so he's been exposed to Joss Whedon, and was a little bit worried that the ex would be there tonight (she wasn't).

Anyhow, it was alright. It was entertaining, but I don't think I'll ever see it again. The dialogue is *too* good, which eventually started to wear on me, but I still thought many of the lines were clever and funny. I think casting an itty-bitty ballerina in the role of a super-fighting-chick-psychobot was maybe not the best decision. If you want a woman to walk around gracefully, then fine, choose a ballerina. If you want her to kick ass convincingly, choose someone I could believe in. I look forward to seeing JKDChick's response to that casting if and when she sees this movie.

I thought it was a lot like a TV show. Entertaining enough to watch for a few hours, but never something that completely draws you in. It gave me a chance to cuddle with my boyfriend, but it is already fading from my memory (and the movie let out not even an hour ago).

Comment

Originally posted by beka
                    The dialogue is *too* good, which eventually started to wear on me, but I still thought many of the lines were clever and funny.
                    That's Joss whedon for you. Think of his dialogue in Buffy.
                    But how can the dialogue be TOO good?!

Comment

Originally posted by beka
                      Anyhow, it was alright. It was entertaining, but I don't think I'll ever see it again. The dialogue is *too* good, which eventually started to wear on me, but I still thought many of the lines were clever and funny. I think casting an itty-bitty ballerina in the role of a super-fighting-chick-psychobot was maybe not the best decision. If you want a woman to walk around gracefully, then fine, choose a ballerina. If you want her to kick ass convincingly, choose someone I could believe in.

It gave me a chance to cuddle with my boyfriend, but it is already fading from my memory (and the movie let out not even an hour ago).
                      I'm not going to defend the movie, since I think it stands on its own merit. But a question I must ask beka - Did you enjoy "The Notebook"?

Comment

I just saw it last night as well. I'm a Firefly fanboy, though so I've been waiting for this movie. I loved the movie!! It does pick up sometime after the series, but it does something the series never really did. It explains the history of the 'verse (briefly). It doesn't show the war at all, like the series did, though.

If you've never seen the series before, I would imagine that the western-esque dialogue would sound a bit weird, but that's one of those things that you start loving after watching a few episodes of the series.

Obviously you don't have to see the series to enjoy the movie, since TT hasn't. But I would at least watch the pilot episode. It does a good job of setting the tone of the series, and defines the characters well. And if at all possible, watch the "Out of Gas" episode, so you can see how the actual "crew" got together. I figure after one sees the pilot episode, they'll be hooked by the time they pull the "Crazy Ivan" anyway.

I loved how they explained the origin of the Reavers (or zombies as TT calls them), that was a total shock. The fights were a great mix of hollywood MA scenes, and old west fisticuffs. The comedy mixes very well the the dramatic and exciting moments. And finally seeing River "unleashed" was very cool. That last fight against the waves of Reavers was better than almost any of the new Star Wars fight scenes (Maul, and the Obi Wan/Skywalker fights are the only exceptions).

This has also made my top 10 list as well. I'm wondering if this movie would have ever happened if the series wasn't cancelled. If that's the case, I'm still trying to decide if it was worth losing the series for this fantastic movie (trilogy if this one does well).

Spoiler:
                        It sucks that Sheperd died, but that was almost expected. Killing Wash was a complete surprise for me... "I am a leaf in the wind"
                        Jaguar's MMA record
                        pre Kung Fu and BJJ: 0-0-0
                        post Kung Fu and BJJ: 0-0-0 (BOO YAA!!)

We're number one! All others are number two or lower.
                        - The Sphinx (Mystery Men)

Comment

Now that I'm rested and back from practice here's my thoughts on the movie, and these are the thoughts of judging it against my expectations of all movies and not just the basis of it being a 2 hour firefly episode.

1)First of all if you're a big Whedon fan you'll enjoy it.

2) I haven't seen all the firefly episodes but one of the things I liked about it was that whedon had taken on a world where mass x speed = force was followed. However in Serenity it doesn't, although the fight scenes were better than buffy.

3) I didn't feel zombies added to this film, although their addition to the plot was well done. I suppose its just that whedon's own genre that requires monsters.

4)The whedon dialogue was toned down for the more serious parts which is a good thing.

I think most people will be able enjoy this film but those who really appreciate it will be Whedon fans.

Comment

Originally posted by Traditional Tom
                            I'm not going to defend the movie, since I think it stands on its own merit. But a question I must ask beka - Did you enjoy "The Notebook"?

I never saw "The Notebook". For someone with a film degree, I see surprisingly few movies. However, I did hear that Ryan Gosling was in that movie, and if Ryan Gosling is in something, how could I *not* enjoy it?

Comment

I was just going to point out that there are few movies that the majority of guys and girls will agree upon that was "good". Many females I've talked to adored "The Notebook" (saw it for free, wasn't impressed). However the fact that you've (supposedly) a movie degree leads me to believe you were probably more critical during the movie then needed.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X