Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DeLay is indicted

http://www.cnn.com/2005/LAW/09/28/de....ap/index.html

For violating a Texas elections ethics code. With some of the garbage I've seen in Texas elections, I didn't think that was possible.

And suprisingly, this is the first I had heard of this particular investigation into DeLay.
    "Quiet fool before I am kicking the butt!"
    -My three year old trash talking to me

"Integrity can't be bought or sold---you either have it or you don't."
    -The Honky Tonk Man

"If you can't be a shining example, at least be a dire warning."
    -My Father to me one day

"No surprise. Until Aikido sheds its street-brawling, thuggish image, it'll never be mainstream."
    -Don Gwinn

This should be entertaining, if nothing else.

Comment

Looks like its the nothing else catagory . I am not holding my breath while waiting. For I know Truth (c), Justice (c) ,and the American Way (c) will come out on top .
      “I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.”
      BILL HICKS,
      1961-1994

"Never believe that anti-Semites are completely unaware of the absurdity of their replies. They know that their remarks are frivolous, open to challenge. But they are amusing themselves, for it is their adversary who is obliged to use words responsibly, since he believes in words. The anti-Semites have the right to play. They even like to play with discourse for, by giving ridiculous reasons, they discredit the seriousness of their interlocutors. They delight in acting in bad faith, since they seek not to persuade by sound argument but to intimidate and disconcert. If you press them too closely, they will abruptly fall silent, loftily indicating by some phrase that the time for argument is past."
      ---Jean-Paul Sartre

Comment

Didn't he get in trouble for using federal resources to track down TX State politicians during a redistricting battle?

Comment

So he fell victim to the vast left wing conspiracy?

Sweet. Couldn't have happened to a nicer mutherfucker.
          "You know what I like about you, William? You like guns AND meditation."

Comment

celebrate!
            "Preparing mentally, the most important thing is, if you aren't doing it for the love of it, then don't do it." - Benny Urquidez

Comment

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20051003/...NlYwMlJVRPUCUl

Turn out the lights Mr. DeLay, the party's over.

-The Honky Tonk Man

-My Father to me one day

"No surprise. Until Aikido sheds its street-brawling, thuggish image, it'll never be mainstream."
              -Don Gwinn

Comment

The nice thing is, the money laundering charge is punishable by up to life in prison. I'd be willing to bet Delay voted for that, too.

Comment

So many criminals in that party these days....... :angel7:

Frisk is next with his Hospital deal

Rove and Libby are still deciding who will take the fall for treason

Defabio(spelling?) got arrested last week and is also indicted

Delays lobbist Ambermof (spelling?) is going down for stealing from the Indians

:wav:

and those are just the people currently charged. History will have a few more to lay down I am sure...

Funny thing the Repulicans tried to change the law so the speaker could hold his post if indicted and the public outcry was so strong they changed it back. They knew that their boy was bad.....
                  :new_usa:

"If anything is gained from this, it should be you both wanting to get better so you can make up for how crappy you are now." KidSpatula about the Sirc vs DTT Gong Sau Event
                  Until the Bulltube is fixed:
                  DTT vs Sirc

Comment

If all of this goes through, the Republicnas will have manged in 12 years what it took Democrats 50 to do, total party corruption and destruction.

-The Honky Tonk Man

-My Father to me one day

-Don Gwinn

Comment

I think Tzu means Jack Abramhoff

Comment

When the ugly, liberal sin of prison sex pushes in on Tom, will he push back?

Comment

I bet he gets aquitted. Any takers?

Comment

i'm with you on that one bushi.
                            A lie gets half-way around the world before the truth has time to get it's pants on. - Winston Churchhill

Comment

Right now, it's too early to tell without knowing what sort of evidence is out there.

The thing about anything involving money is that there's likely to be a paper trail, unless you're talking about cash, which seems unlikely here. If they do have a good paper trail, I have no doubt that someone will take the fall in his organization. I worked in the fraud audit field long enough to know how poorly this stuff is hidden a lot of the time. In most cases, I think they simply assume that no one is ever going to bother to look.

The harder thing to prove will be what Delay actually knew about it, assuming that he's not directly in the paper trail. It's possible that someone in his organization was doing this on their own, without his knowledge. Given his leadership style and long history of ethical problems, I'd be surprised, but it is possible.

Another possibility is that he pulled the "willful blindness" trick. If he knew that there was no legal way to move the money, but instructed his subordinates to "get it done somehow and don't bother me with the details," he could end up being culpable, depending on exactly what was said and how the law in question is worded (and that jurisdiction's stance on williful blindness).

Regardless of what actually goes down, this guy is arguably a very bad thing for the Republican party. Peter H hits it on the head with his comment that they have managed to do in 12 years what it took the Democrats 50 years to do. A party that ostensibly stands strongly for law and order cannot keep its credibility if it doesn't keep its own house in order. Delay is looking more and more like Rostenkowski every day. That won't bother the hardcore partisans too much, because they can always cover their eyes and complain that the prosecutor is biased. But it does bother most of the moderates I know, who are already stinging from Bush's performance in his second term.
                              Last edited by kepetri; 10/09/2005 6:33am, .

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X