Ring girls/dancers etc etc

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BenwaMandelbrot
    Although I agree with everything you wrote in this post, I'm seeing you in my mind's eye, sitting in a chair, doing macrame, and wearing open-toed sandals.

Am I right?
    What's macrame?

Comment

Originally posted by WalkOn
      What's macrame?

hippy stuff, he's saying you're a hippy

Comment

What's macrame?

Yeah yeah, like you don't know! Isn't this your macrame handbag?

:)

Comment

PC perspective again

This is somewhat similar to a thread I started a while back on the topic of ring girls, here. It would appear that the arguments in this thread are taking a similar route - the correlation between sex and violence, a parallel between scantily clad fighters and scantily clad ring girls etc.

In short, my objection to ring girls is that the inclusion of what is effectively adult entertainment (in some events 'ring girls' devolves into strippers) vulgarises the event. You don't, for example, see ring girls at Wimbledon. However, that brings me to my next point, because you do see female tennis players becoming more famous for their looks than their abilities. Female fighters, as has been mentioned earlier in this thread, both deserve and need recognition for their sporting prowess. Putting them into events where they fight alongside eroticised women parading around them holding up a card instantly denigrates the female fighter's position as an athlete - it emphasises the chauvinist conception that women exist to be drooled over by men. Finally, and perhaps most importantly, this in turn creates a false distinction between men (there to fight) and women (there to be leered at), which IMO bodes ill for female MMA.

I don't have a problem with legitimate adult entertainment (as opposed to the exploitation of vulnerable women, which also unfortunately a serious problem in the sex industry), as that is merely attractive people using their looks to earn a wage. However, I don't think that such entertainment belongs in MMA; the focus should be on people who want to see an athletic competition between two skilled individuals, not a striptease. More importantly, including such entertainment in MMA discriminates against potential female fans/fighters who may well be put off by the accepted objectification of women within the sport ring girls represent.

Comment

What's macrame?
            Isn't it a fact that you have A Treasury of Macrame Owls set as your homepage?

I' m on to you.

Comment

Originally posted by garbanzobean
              I find Ring Girls deplorable for the same reason I find strip clubs (haven't actually been to one, but the concept) to be gross. Women basically whoring themselves out on their looks. It is degrading and disgusting. Besides, assuming the lady in question isn't a vapid whore (which will never happen in a setting such as this), why would one want a look but don't touch policy? I will never understand why guys pay money to see scantily clad/naked women that they can't/wouldn't sleep with.

It might be a tradition, but I can certainly do without.
              :gay:

Comment

Just kidding.
                Actually, I have no problem with ring girls if they are just beautiful women letting us know what round it is. I personally love beautiful women. However, the local MMA events uses 3 girls from a local strip club as ring girls. One is really attractive and seems somewhat classy, one is always a new fresh 18 year old that always seems somewhat shy and nervous, but the last one is the one I have a problem with. She is the LEAST sexxy women I have ever seen. The entire time she circles the ring she is puposely wiggling her upper torso to acheive maximum boob swayage. She appears to me to be a TOTAL skank and I am completely repulsed by her. Unfortunately, the drunk rednecks at the fights all go apeshit for her antics which only fuels her skankyness. Every MMA event I go to, I hope and pray that she isn't there. KP2 wants to go with me but until they get rid of that skank or at least have her act with a little more class, I will not be taking him.
                Last edited by KhorneliusPraxx; 9/21/2005 11:22am, .

Comment

Originally posted by slideyfoot
                  In short, my objection to ring girls is that the inclusion of what is effectively adult entertainment (in some events 'ring girls' devolves into strippers) vulgarises the event. You don't, for example, see ring girls at Wimbledon. However, that brings me to my next point, because you do see female tennis players becoming more famous for their looks than their abilities. Female fighters, as has been mentioned earlier in this thread, both deserve and need recognition for their sporting prowess. Putting them into events where they fight alongside eroticised women parading around them holding up a card instantly denigrates the female fighter's position as an athlete - it emphasises the chauvinist conception that women exist to be drooled over by men. Finally, and perhaps most importantly, this in turn creates a false distinction between men (there to fight) and women (there to be leered at), which IMO bodes ill for female MMA.
                  So you are saying that minor displays of sexuality make something adult entertainment. (Note: I'm assuming that most of the ring girls in question wear very suggestive clothing, nothing less.) However, serious, potentially bloody, harmful violence, doesn't? Interesting. I'd propose that society would be far better off if we switched those two concepts.

Also, if you are arguing from a PC perspective, most PC types find any and all types of combat sports to be vulgar.

Face it, combat sports speak to a largely male crowd. They like this sort of thing, so it will continue to be there. I have a tape somewhere of Kathy Long fighting, where she used ring guys. Yeah, I'm sure her intent was to objectify in some entertaining way, but I was by no means offended. It was actually pretty funny. The guys involved must have had some real stones to get up there in front of that crowd, too...

Oh, and don't think female athletes are the only ones who gain a following from their looks. A lot of male athletes have taken advantage of their looks, and some have benefited from much greater advertising contracts than the poor ugly guys.

Comment

Blabity blabity bla, madonna/whore madonna/whore. Poor women being oppressed by men.

Have any of you fundies ever talked to female strippers, or dancers, or any woman who makes a living or has a hobby centered around being attractive? Because you really should.

Comment

I smell some haterism in this thread!

Ring Girls rock!!!

Comment

i don't think i agree with the idea that ring girls somehow make the female fighters less respectable. i don't have a problem separating "ring girl" women and "fighter" women in my head. two different types of people in the ring for two separate reasons.

Comment

So here's a little quirk on angles here.

Some want to complain that JKDChick is being mean or resentful, etc, etc, etc because she responds to arrogance and idiocy of "OMG, I'm prettier than you, you stupid stupid creature." With thoughts of amusement and an image of violence or the knowledge there of..

Here's a skew on this.

When I see sport fencers, I snicker under my breath at best. When they try to explain the validity of the flick or how they'd tear apart someone with a sword (rare but it happens) I laugh. And I generally try to convince them to pick up a schlager and step onto an open area with me. And when I can school one I do so with great glee..

I go a step further than JKDChick on stuff I look down upon and actually act when I can.. So am I resentful of the sport fencer for being good at a watered down joke of a sport that superficially resembles a real art?

Disclaimer: I hold no problem with sport fencers who KNOW what they do is a shallow sport bastardization of a real art (note that that's still a bit negative, but oh well).

Comment

Two things: That picture of Amber has a fight shopped onto her butt. Other than that, she pretty much looks like that in real life... Watch some UFC, she's a ring girl.

Other: I myself believe I could take two, possibly even three ring girls at once. I'm fond of testing myself, so I'd throw down with the fit types like Amber, as opposed ot your run of the mill amatuer promotion chicks.

Hell, maybe four, given the right supplements... And permission from my wife...

Comment

Originally posted by noodles
                              Blabity blabity bla, madonna/whore madonna/whore. Poor women being oppressed by men.

Have any of you fundies ever talked to female strippers, or dancers, or any woman who makes a living or has a hobby centered around being attractive? Because you really should.
                              Have you ever tried not being an idiot?

Originally posted by Kooky-Juan
                              I smell some haterism in this thread!
                              My girlfriend hates ring girls because they are overwhemingly small chested, and feels that they are taking away jobs from better endowed, and therefore better qualified women.

Comment

Originally posted by Peter H.
                                Have you ever tried not being an idiot?

My girlfriend hates ring girls because they are overwhemingly small chested, and feels that they are taking away jobs from better endowed, and therefore better qualified women.
                                Both girls at JPs last month had the most obvious fake boobs I've ever seen. They were shaped like Barbie boobs. They were just sticking straight out, and with the little triangle top bikinis, their surface area further shrunk by the "tenting" effect of their perpetually hard nipples, you could see that they were not only immune to gravity, but it in fact seemed to work in REVERSE on them, leaving no undermining whatsoever.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                                X