chinese words

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

chinese words

those signs have been hanging in my dojo for all the time Iv' been there, and my sifu always say how it is supposed to be an inspiration for us 'cause its supposed to say something like for "every fast hand there is a faster hand..." but since I'm not chinese it could say "eat sh*t n' die" and I would not know... So if anyone could tell me what those signs mean I would be grateful:

Mostly I know the Japanese meanings, and even then I'm crappy with the kanji, but for fun I'll see what we got.

Left sign, top to bottom: one mountain (I want to say road, but I know it's wrong, can't make out the symbol) north one mountain south(?)

right sign, guess at translation "work in the self is work in the hand" hmmmm "develope the mind to develope the outside"

Whatever, I'm not at translator.

Plus I choose not to look those symbols up thus solving the mystery.

Comment

It says, GONG SAU YOU MOUTH BOXING CUNTS!

Comment

GONG SAU!

Yrkoon, you forgot to properly format that.

Comment

This is why the Roman alphabet is infinitely superior to Oriental scribble writing. Cyrillic looks cool too. Maybe I'll learn Russian next.

Comment

I spent 3 years learning Japanese and a year learning Chinese; I have come to the conclusion that I will remain illiterate in both, barring a major overhaul in Japan whereby kanji is done away with and they just sue hiragana and katakana (too much to hope for).

For fun, during my off break at work a few weeksago I decided to start learning some Russian; I had the cyrillic down in about two damn days.

Granted it would take time to memorize all the vocab and grammar points and just practice speaking it, but for fuck's sake, I can load up a Russian web site now and read off everything I see and if I chose to take the time I could easily look in a damned dictionary and translate the damn thing. I try doing the same in Japanese and while I can get an idea of what's going on- I'm not a complete failure- I miss out on so much simply because I don't know enough kanji, and unless I get myself a nice, expensive translator with a pad to draw in the kanji I see wellllllll.... let's just say I fucking hate kanji dictionaries.

Alphabetization rocks!

So yeah, learn Russian.

I've thought about Korean too, apparently their writing system makes sense as well.

Comment

one funny thing about my school is that since it is in a french province of Canada and that is a law called "la loi 101" that forces all public etablishement to display everything in french first. So one time the school got cleaned up from all the english text on the walls 'cause they got reported or something. Yet all the chinese signs stayed... funny like people do not consider it as a real "language".

Comment

French is a horrid language that deserves to die and never be heard again.

Comment

Originally posted by GreenHornet
                  those signs have been hanging in my dojo for all the time Iv' been there, and my sifu always say how it is supposed to be an inspiration for us 'cause its supposed to say something like for "every fast hand there is a faster hand..." but since I'm not chinese it could say "eat sh*t n' die" and I would not know... So if anyone could tell me what those signs mean I would be grateful:
                  I'd read them from right to left:

qiang zhong zi you qiang zhong shou

yi shan hai bi yi shan gao.
                  It's a ryhmed couplet.

The first one on the right is a little trickier but I'd translate it as:

"Among the strong, there will naturally be one even stronger."

The one on the left is easy. I am familiar with that saying:

"For every mountain, there is another mountain higher."

This is very similar to another very common Chinese proverb, "There are people beyond the people and oceans beyond the sea." Basically, no matter how good you are or how knowledgeable you get, there is always someone better or more knowledgeable."
                  Fighting evil and upholding justice in blue silk pajamas baby!
                  http://youtube.com/watch?v=UGaYD_wcaIg

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6Uepo9ahg-M

Bah!!! Puny Humans.

Comment

It didn't occur to me that it was all one saying, because I am dumb.

Comment

....or that you haven't lived in Asia yet and seen these things hanging around doorposts everywhere.

Every Chinese new year everyone puts up some sort of pair of sayings on their doorposts except they'll allways be saying something about wealth and happiness. It's just a set convention they have in China and I assume Japan, Korea, Viet Nam etc.

Bah!!! Puny Humans.

Comment

Japan, one year.

Like I said, I am dumb. Though to be fair most stuff is written left to right and read across.... but still, signs....

DOH!

Comment

lol....

Bah!!! Puny Humans.

Comment

russian is difficult because for every rule, there are about 10 exceptions, and they are common exceptions that come up alot.

Comment

A couple of exceptions to rules is nothing compared to needing around 4,000 different symbols to be able to read a newspaper.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X