X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So I had my first muay thai training night tonight

Pleasantly sore.

That's how I feel.

I got a looong way to go, let me tell you, but judging from some of the kicks I took, I'm going to have some help getting there.

So, yeah, take that for what you will. You got me into a muay thai gym. And I think I'll stay.
    --
    L.

Good job.

Now go slap on the Tiger Balm.

Comment

Excel-fucking-lent.
      I think it was two ninjas taped together, to make one GIANT NINJA!!!!

Comment

definitely feel your pain. my coach aggravated the fuck out of me with those pads.

Comment

I'd say welcome to the Dark Side, but your style profile is already contaminated with another evil competition-oriented art: Judo. YOU WILL NEVAR ESCAPE NOW!11!!!!1!!!
          "No. Listen to me because I know what I'm talking about here." -- Hannibal

Comment

Originally posted by Arahoushi
            Pleasantly sore.

That's how I feel.

I got a looong way to go, let me tell you, but judging from some of the kicks I took, I'm going to have some help getting there.

So, yeah, take that for what you will. You got me into a muay thai gym. And I think I'll stay.

Can you give us a play-by-play of your class, Bertrand?

Comment

Sure thing, good sir.

We started out with some stretching and shadowboxing (maybe 8 minutes) total to get the blood flowing. Then we worked against thai pads for most of the rest of the night. We worked low kicks, high kicks, push kicks, and so on until we were all about to drop. I got a chance to work with different guys, since I was new, and got to feel how strong my kicks should be.

At the end, there was some free time to practice on the bags set up around the gym.

No sparring, but it's a fairly new gym and it was a small class (6 people), so the instructor said he was getting us ready for sparring.

There was a kali class immediately after, but I couldn't stay because of prior obligations.

Going back tomorrow.
              --
              L.

Comment

Originally posted by garbanzobean
                I'd say welcome to the Dark Side, but your style profile is already contaminated with another evil competition-oriented art: Judo. YOU WILL NEVAR ESCAPE NOW!11!!!!1!!!
                Escape? Who wants that? I just want to train and have fun.

Some words on competition: two months ago, you'd have heard me saying competition was the wrong thing to have in a martial art. I would have said it teaches people to focus on winning a limited, quasi-realistic situation and fosters an attitude in students that destroys camaraderie by forcing everyone to jockey for the position of being "best."

Now, I see that the opposite of most of that is true. Competition schools actually foster MORE camaraderie, because the goal is to help your teammates out. If you don't train your buddies well, then they won't be good training partners for you, and everyone's game suffers. You get beat at competitions, and no one likes that.

Also, in non-competitive MAs, the sense of camaraderie is easily broken by everyone jockeying for that "favorite" position. Since there's no reason to keep everyone together, non-competitive schools can quickly turn against a student or a group of students, the same way a group of people can isolate a few members and drive them away. It's not true camaraderie, but groupthink and herd behavior. In a competitive art, if someone is demonstrably bad, the goal of the group is to bring up this person's skill level.

I still think that there's a marked difference between a real fight and what you see in competition, but unlike most people I'm not going to claim that what's useful in one isn't useful in the other. A ring fighter or competition fighter isn't training themselves unrealistically... they're competing unrealistically, but that's OK. A competition isn't meant to be a real fight -- it's meant to evaluate who is better at a certain skill set. It's just that in martial arts, competitive arts can be utilized outside of a competition just as effectively as inside. I mean, if a boxer hits me on the street, I'm not going to laugh and say "haha, your punches have no power outside your ring!" I'll probably just pick up my teeth and go about my way.
                --
                L.

Comment

This is wisdom you speak. Now, go join a BJJ class and your journey to the darkside will be complete. Then you will have the power to save your wife.
                  Monkey Ninjas! Attack!

Comment

Congrats.

Comment

Anakin: Is it possible to learn such power?
                      Palpatine: Not from a TMAist....

Embrace the dark side!

Comment

Originally posted by Arahoushi
                        Escape? Who wants that? I just want to train and have fun.

Competition schools actually foster MORE camaraderie, because the goal is to help your teammates out.
                        You are wise, kind sir.
                        "No. Listen to me because I know what I'm talking about here." -- Hannibal

Comment

I was thinking of joining a MT class sometime too. Well the decision was kind of set in stone after a MT friend beat the crap out of me* XD.

*by that, I mean it was almost even.

Comment

Originally posted by JKDChick
                            This is wisdom you speak. Now, go join a BJJ class and your journey to the darkside will be complete. Then you will have the power to save your wife.
                            This "wife" bit might piss of my girlfriend, but I'll settle for saving her. :)

I am going to hold off on the BJJ until I move for law school. There's no judo club at the school, but there is a BJJ club. Plus, I've already taken some BJJ as part of my old vale tudo training, if only for a month. You could say it was my first step down the path of a Sith Lord.
                            --
                            L.

Comment

Now, all you need to do is burn alive and you will be a TRUE Sith Lord.

PL

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X