Grizzly Man

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Grizzly Man

My wife and I went to see an advance screening of "Grizzly Man" yesterday, a documentary about Tim Treadwell, the guy who spent 13 years living with grizzly bears in Alaska before one of them decided to turn him and his girlfriend into a pre-hibernation snack. It's fascinating and sad - the guy was obviously batshit insane, quite beyond his obsession with bears: he believed he was the bears' protection against all kinds of human interference even though he was the only one there, and he believed the bears were his friends, even though they don't show much sign of affection in any of the footage. Then again, he must have done something right to survive as long as he did. And from his own footage, it seems that he embraced the notion of dying in the wilderness, even though he was very happy *living* there.

Fascinating movie. Go and watch it, but don't expect to come out very happy.
    Last edited by Beatdown Richie; 8/09/2005 8:31am, .
    There are no wrong threats, only wrong answers. (Strategy game truism)

I think I read about him in something like Reader's Digest... Wasn't he supposed to fly out like 2 days after he died?

Comment

wow, sounds heavy.

is there footage of them being eaten by chance?
      I think it was two ninjas taped together, to make one GIANT NINJA!!!!

Comment

The pilot who was supposed to pick them up came across the bear eating the rest of the guy.

And Tim and his companion didn't have time to take the cap off the camera when the attack occurred, but the sound was running. The film shows the director listening to the tape and recommending to Tim's ex-gf that she destroy it, and never look at the photos that the coroner had taken. Pretty heavy indeed.

Comment

Ya I read that too. It's too bad that he died, and it was unfortunate that he didn't think it was necessary to take at least some safety precautions. However, I respect anyone that is willing to spend large amounts of time in the wilderness following and studying animals, especially if they are tracking one particular group. That takes a lot of patience, sacrifice, awareness, and skill. Many people do that, following a group of animals studying them for scientific research and such, although it seemed to me that his purpose wasn't for science, rather some environmentalist agenda thing.

Thinking about that reminds me of something I saw on a documentary earlier this summer when a group of scientists were following a group of monkeys (I think they were chimpanzees). During this they discovered, and witnessed, that they actually engage in some kind of warfare/assassination/murder activity. It showed a couple of the adult chimps separate from the rest of the group and they sought out and murdered another one from outside their group. It was quite violent. They found him in another tree, let out a lot of cries (war cries?), chased him down and beat him to death. This was the first time that scientists have documented this, I believe they said. They pointed out that this proved that humans weren't the only species that does this, which was previously believed.

Anyway, when's the movie supposed to be released, or is it already out? I haven't heard anything about it.
          Last edited by sidran; 8/09/2005 12:50pm, .

Comment

I could have saved them some money on that chimp research. Spend a week around a cage of baboons and you'll be glad we discovered fire first.

I might want to go see this. I actually liked Never Cry Wolf, might be interesting.
            "Quiet fool before I am kicking the butt!"
            -My three year old trash talking to me

"Integrity can't be bought or sold---you either have it or you don't."
            -The Honky Tonk Man

"If you can't be a shining example, at least be a dire warning."
            -My Father to me one day

"No surprise. Until Aikido sheds its street-brawling, thuggish image, it'll never be mainstream."
            -Don Gwinn

Comment

Haha I bet. Actually that observation was a total suprise to them. Their purpose for that particular research trip was something along the lines of getting more information about their lifestyles, habits, and the like, which I believe is an ongoing research. They probably did know these things happened before but I believe they said that in this case it was much more organized than they previously thought, even to the point that it seemed politically motivated, kind of like how wars started historically, over money, power, control over an area, things like that. Obviously some of those things don't necessarily exist for chimps, but it was along those lines.

But it does sound like an interesting movie.
              Last edited by sidran; 8/09/2005 1:19pm, . Reason: spelling error

Comment

Anyway, when's the movie supposed to be released, or is it already out? I haven't heard anything about it.
                The movie opens August 12th.

Comment

Bear Jaw Jitsu wins again.

Comment

My best friend is a wildlife biologist in Alaska. His favorite thing to study is Grizzlies, "Beats cataloging lichen" he always says. He has had a few close calls (yes, with the lichen, nothing more dangerous than pissed off lichen), but he carries a rifle or a shotgun (the parks and wildlife dept. insist on it), I don't remember which, and he maintains a healthy fear of the animals. I seem to recall him telling me about this guy, it was big news up there. He also thought that dude was batshit crazy.

Edited in a sad attempt at humor.
                    Last edited by jnp; 8/09/2005 3:05pm, .
                    Shut the hell up and train.

Comment

Bear Jaw Jitsu wins again.
                      On a side note, the movie has a scene with two grizzlies fighting. Standup wrestling, guard, guard passing - and of course BITING. Ouch.

Comment

You can check out the trailer here: http://www.apple.com/trailers/lions_gate/grizzly_man/

IT helps that this documentaries director is Werner Herzog (who is batshit crazy as well... and a genius). You can check out his take on this film in this solid interview: http://chud.com/interviews/3922

- Matt
                        Student of Wan Yi Chuan Kung Fu,
                        Kali, & what ever works
                        Renaissance Martial Arts
                        Rochester, NY

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                        X