Schools in Cinnci?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Schools in Cinnci?

I had the pleasure of talking to a childhood friend today. She lives in Cinnci and is interested in getting involved in MA. I talked with her a little about her goals, and mostly she wants to learn to really fight and possibly compete. I don't know Cinnci so I don't know where to suggest. An MT, BJJ, or Judo School would probably be good to start with (though I'm not sure about how she would feel about getting poped in the face in her first couple of classes, so MT might be a bad option). Does anyone from the area have any preferences on schools? I don't need google search results, I can do that myself. What I am looking for is personal opinions on schools in that area. Thanks.

It's a little pricey, but if she can afford it she should definitely hit up this place:
    http://www.teamjorgegurgel.com

Jorge Gurgel is a BJJ black belt and if I'm not mistaken he coaches Rich Franklin in BJJ, who also trains there. He also does MMA and is going to be on the second season of the ultimate fighter, which will be cool. Honestly, I've never trained there because I don't live in Cincinnati anymore. My BJJ instructor recommended training there when I was down in Cincinnati for a week but I ended up nursing injuries instead.

Comment

By the way I'm assuming by "cinnci" you mean Cincinnati, Ohio.

Comment

Originally posted by thomaspaine
        By the way I'm assuming by "cinnci" you mean Cincinnati, Ohio.

Yep. I was a bit on the drunk side when I posted, sorry. Thanks for the info.

Comment

Judo Instruction-Greater Cinti
          639 Rockdale Ave
          Cincinnati, OH 45229-2918
          (513) 221-4900

Cincinnati Mixed Martial Arts
          (513) 853-0000
          4036 Hamilton Ave
          Cincinnati, OH 45223

I have no personal knowledge of these places, but they seem to fit the requirements best of all the possibles.
          I dork harder than any of you can imagine.

- Hedgehoney

Comment

BJJ is pretty thin in Cincinnati. There are only really 3 places to train in my opinion.

One is Jorge Jurgel's mentioned a couple of posts up. A great place to train, especially if you want to tailor it to MMA but the gym isn't in Cincinnati. It is 45 minutes north of Cincinnati.

Two is Reading Martial Arts on Rt. 42 in Lockland. Pretty much in the middle of the greater Cincinnati area. I am currently trying to get in there to see if I want to pick up supplemental training. They are kind of hard to get a hold of and it's a pretty spartan gym to train in (that's either good or bad depending on what you want). I know the highest belt there is at least a purple but I think he might be brown and if not, he's damn close from what I hear.

Three is in Anderson on the east side of town. Craig Wallace (purple unde Pedro) teaches 3 nights a week for 2 hour sessions. It is a club atmosphere and a great place to train. Training is free, all you have to have is a YMCA membership because we happen to train inside of one.

There are two other places which 'techinically' offer BJJ training but they only have one class a week and their instructors reputations don't warrant me mentioning them here.

The only other place I would recommend for the other arts you listed would be sacan martial arts in pisgah on rt. 42. They train MT there and the guy who owns the place trains Rich Franklin. I've watched one class but never signed up so I could focus on BJJ. They have an active fight team and are the real deal.

Comment

Originally posted by afronaut
              Cincinnati Mixed Martial Arts
              (513) 853-0000
              4036 Hamilton Ave
              Cincinnati, OH 45223
              I train with a guy who also trains here and the place is pretty much all MMA oriented. They do offer a MT class though. He seems to like it. They also have a fight team. Look for their website on google.

Comment

Thanks guys. I would have thanked you sooner, but I've been busy with a death in the family, so I haven't been able to check the boards properly.

Comment

Last Saturday I went to ICE 15. A local MMA event. (side note: Rich Franklin was there to see his brother get his ass beat) Cincy MMA, Jorge Jurgel, and SACAN Martial Arts all had fighters fighting in this event. If she really wishes to compete these are the only places you'll find for full-contact fight training.

Comment

How did the guys from Cincinnati Mixed Martial Arts do? I remember going to their website and being pretty unimpressed by their fight team's record.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                    X