Rival Schools

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rival Schools

Do any of you train with dojos that comptete or interact with other local clubs. I want to know how it is in other places 'cos in my place in Gibraltar we only take part in one tournament a year. We used to compete with clubs Spain but had to stop after the local association demanded we all became paying members. As for local clubs, the only other JJ club is run by my sensei's old teacher, who won't have anything to do with him after a falling out many years ago. We have approached the local TKD, karate and MT clubs but haven't managed to get anything together. All we get a forces types of UK, America and Russia stopping by and training every now and then. Its a shame as I think we could learn a lot from cooperating with other clubs and I'm wondering what the situation is in other parts of the world.

'First we'll try and teach you how to mingle,
    then we'll teach you how to kill...'

FYI: Gibraltar is a small British colony on the southernmost tip of Spain, just under Africa. Spain has been trying to take over us for years, but can't and makes up for it by just being nasty to us.

'First we'll try and teach you how to mingle,
    then we'll teach you how to kill...'

Comment

Damn, this shouldn't be an off topic thing.

There's something inside me that pulls beneath the surface, consuming...

Comment

My karate club has recently forged links with the local JJJ club, and I believe we're going to have some combined events soon. I think it's caused the Ju Jitsu guys some problems with their governing body, who don't seem to approve of cross-training.

Comment

You should try contacting various British martial arts associations and see what schools are in Gibraltar to approach with this idea.

Comment

There is a pretty healthy 'alliance' in New Mexico between Jackson Gaidojutsu (my school), Winklejohn Kickboxing/Kempo Karate and Santa Fe BJJ. Those three places train roughly 80% of the pro NHB fighters from N.M. Lots of cross-training, everyone is on friendly terms. Sometimes for no-gi submission tournaments, the three schools will put together a Combined Force team and kick ass in Vegas or L.A. I like being allies with other non-affiliated schools, it keeps things fresh and interesting.

"Go cry about it Vargas. Aren't you late for your shift at McDonald's?"
            "I had once talked to Billy Conn, the boxer, about professionals versus amateurs - specifically street fighters. One had always heard rumors of champions being taken out by back-alley fighters. Conn was scornful. "Aw, it's like hitting a girl," he said. "They're nothing."

- George Plimpton
            "Shadow Box"

Comment

Team Cesar Gracie is apparently combining training with Fairtex, or something. Two of our guys fought in a Fairtex smoker at the Cesar Gracie school. They won. I like the association, we're definitely NOT a parochial BJJ school.

**The most miraculous power that can verifiably be attributed to "chi" is its ability to be all things to virtually all people, depending on what version of the superstition they are attempting to defend at any given moment.**
              Normally, I'd say I was grappling, but I was taking down and mounting people, and JFS has kindly informed us that takedowns and being mounted are neither grappling nor anti grappling, so I'm not sure what the fuck I was doing. Maybe schroedinger's sparring, where it's neither grappling nor anti-grappling until somoene observes it and collapses the waveform, and then I RNC a cat to death.----fatherdog

Comment

My aiki club has a good relationship with a couple of other aiki clubs in the area, and we almost all train taiji as well.
                Taking responsibility for my actions since 1989

Comment

"Do any of you train with dojos that comptete or interact with other local clubs"

our club sucks
                  :)

but we have Tai Chi, Wing Chun and Wushu here...

--
                  Hard work, Patience, Dedication.
                  The more you sweat in training, the less you bleed later.
                  Surfing Facebook at work? Spread the good word by adding us on Facebook today! https://www.facebook.com/Bullshido

https://www.instagram.com/bullshido/

Comment

First premise of our school is: No politics. I've asked straight out if it's cool for me to check out other schools and was told to go right ahead.

(board breaks with a kick)
                    "Is that it? I feel like I should bow, or have honor or something."
                    -- Buffy the Vampire Slayer, "Once More, With Feeling"
                    Monkey Ninjas! Attack!

Comment

that's cool, not that you need "his" permission

--
                      Hard work, Patience, Dedication.
                      The more you sweat in training, the less you bleed later.
                      Surfing Facebook at work? Spread the good word by adding us on Facebook today! https://www.facebook.com/Bullshido

https://www.instagram.com/bullshido/

Comment

It's a respect thing -- and a bit of a test. If you ask your instructor that and they come back with a variation of "No, no, this is the ONLY TRUE WAY!" or "You must sign a wavier to never reveal my deadly secrets to any living being" you should run like hell.

(board breaks with a kick)
                        "Is that it? I feel like I should bow, or have honor or something."
                        -- Buffy the Vampire Slayer, "Once More, With Feeling"
                        Monkey Ninjas! Attack!

Comment

Yeah, seeing where politics in MA got me, you right there.
                          McGee, I don't think you realise how small Gib is, I think there's only around five, maybe six MA clubs in the whole place. In this situation I would usually approach friends, but it's like I'm the only guy in my year at school who actually does a MA!
                          Some guys used to but quit ages ago. We're members of the BBJJA (British Bushido Ju- Jitsu Association) and that gets us into an annual tournment which was held here last year.

Comment

But politics! Only a handful of clubs bothered to come, and half of them cancelled, even though we won in 2001. No respect, considering we have to fly to UK every goddamn year.
                            Thanks for sharing your thoughts/ideas, though

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                            X