I'm going to go fight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm going to go fight

I've decided to finally go down to a local dojo (or in this case a 'fight center') and give BJJ a try. I haven't gone to a dojo that was not TMA oriented before, and so I am kind of shy/apprehensive.

However, next week I'm going into this place to inquire about their introductory classes in BJJ. The place is only 1.5 miles from my house, so I think I will just walk down there and back.

Since this will be my first experience at an MMA place, anyone have any tips? Also, what kind of gi/equipment will I probably need?

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention. I am 6'0" and weigh 160 pounds. Am I going to get beaten on by the bigger guys?

Comment

Originally posted by Osiris
      You're gonna get beaten by the smaller guys.
      Actually, you're going to get beat on by everyone, most likely. But don't worry, it's part of the initiation; like hazing, but in a gi.
      DIDN'T YOU KNOW?! The Chinese know everything! And they knew it 4,000 years before YOU did!

"Yes. Yes I am. I'm clearly illiterate and dictating this post to a squadron of several dozen trained jumping beans I've coearced into living on my keyboard, each named after a letter or character, which bounce up and down as I call their names." -JohnnyCache

Comment

Don't sweat winning or losing for the first 6 months. If you bring your ego, it's just hoing to get crushed along with your bones and internal organs.

Learning a new martial art is an exercise in "mouth shut and ears open."
        And lo, Kano looked down upon the field and saw the multitudes. Amongst them were the disciples of Uesheba who were greatly vexed at his sayings. And Kano spake: "Do not be concerned with the mote in thy neighbor's eye, when verily thou hast a massive stick in thine ass".

--Scrolls of Bujutsu: Chapter 5 vs 10-14.

Comment

Originally posted by Scrapper
          Don't sweat winning or losing for the first 6 months. If you bring your ego, it's just hoing to get crushed along with your bones and internal organs.

Hmm, I think I might get embarrassed. I pride myself on never having lost a fight in grade school. :sad5:

Comment

Originally posted by Scrapper

Best advice. You're going to get beat, but it's just part of the learning process. DO NOT GET MAD ABOUT IT. You will get better over time. Just sit back and take every loss as a learning experience. It'll make everything easier.
            DIDN'T YOU KNOW?! The Chinese know everything! And they knew it 4,000 years before YOU did!

"Yes. Yes I am. I'm clearly illiterate and dictating this post to a squadron of several dozen trained jumping beans I've coearced into living on my keyboard, each named after a letter or character, which bounce up and down as I call their names." -JohnnyCache

Comment

If you leave your ego, it's just going to get crushed along with your bones and internal organs. Really doesn't matter either way. They'll kick your ass.
              If they kicked every n00b's ass who walked in the door, wouldn't they lose business though? You would think they would start you off slow...

Comment

Just out of curiosity,whats the first class like in a BJJ school? Or even the first months.
                [img=http://img205.imageshack.us/img205/2364/8026700123940loij9.th.jpg]

"God damn America" --Muammar al-Gaddafi

Comment

Then you've been fighting the wrong people.

Anyways, you shouldn't be embarrassed. If you have the opportunity to play with a black belt, it'll become pretty clear that you simply are NOT on that level.
                  Play with a blackbelt? What would be the point of that? Wouldn't they start me off with someone lower on the food chain, maybe another white belt or a blue belt?

Comment

I hope none of this "you'll get beaten up" stuff scares Dissipate away.

Dude. BJJ is pretty rough on the ol' bod at times, but it gets better. I've been doing it for about two months now, and although I still have scores of bruises hither and thither, I am getting better at being able to walk the next day. You can probably get away with using a lightweight gi from a past TMA that you did, but probably not for too long. For your first class I would hope they would go light enough that they wouldn't rip your clothes.

My best advice would be to wear a mouthguard. Even though it's not a striking art, knees, elbows, forearms, shoulders, heads, etc, all of them will end up in your face at some point. It's just better to be safe than sorry.

And a final note, you will be addicted and love it to death.

Comment

Originally posted by Dissipate
                      Oh yeah, I forgot to mention. I am 6'0" and weigh 160 pounds. Am I going to get beaten on by the bigger guys?
                      Smaller guys, bigger guys, any girls in the gym. You're going to get schooled for like 2 - 3 years. Welcome to the Dark Side.
                      Monkey Ninjas! Attack!

Comment

Originally posted by Canuckyokushin
                        Just out of curiosity,whats the first class like in a BJJ school? Or even the first months.

At my MMA school they put you through a private introductory lesson where they just show you the basic positions, ie guard and mount, and then explain what passing guard is, and maybe a couple of other BASIC definitions and things. It's more so that you know what the instructor is talking about than anything.

After that, we have the BJJ classes split into two groups, 101 and 201. 101 is beginners, of course, so that they can spend time learning a core set of techniques. On my first day we went over scissor sweeps. I don't recall if there was anything else, but I know most of the class was around that. It was rough. We are encouraged to feel things out, rather than to immediately learn the escapes and passes and stuff. Luckily my first day wasn't on a day about mount or half guard escapes, so I just got to sweep people (which seemed simple enough at the time). I had a blast. But it took some getting used to. It's still taking getting used to.

When new people join the class, I can see the horror in their eyes as they desperately try to follow along. They don't know what's happening, and they don't know what to do on the ground. It's cute. And I'm sure I look that way to anyone more advanced than me.

Our 101 classes are more technique oriented. We resist to varying degrees while we're still learning how the moves work. Afterwards is open mat time, and then we can do whatever we want. It kinda bothers me though, so many of the 101 students don't stay for open mat. They've been to the same number of classes as me, so I know they can't claim that they don't know enough to roll. If they stayed just an extra few minutes, I'm sure they would advance a lot quicker.

But whatever, I'm rambling because I'm bored. :hippy2:

Comment

The approach I got when I started was less along the lines of 'for beginners' and more along the lines of 'thrown to the wolves.' It works well, though. I advocate rolling with people who can school you brutally over rolling with other beginners.

I disagree with JKDChick, I believe that the ownage doesn't stop. The skill level it takes to smack you down increases, but it's always nonetheless there.

Comment

Originally posted by beka
                            When new people join the class, I can see the horror in their eyes as they desperately try to follow along. They don't know what's happening, and they don't know what to do on the ground. It's cute. And I'm sure I look that way to anyone more advanced than me.

But whatever, I'm rambling because I'm bored. :hippy2:
                            I actually like that 'look' that they have. Thanx for answering my questions Beka !
                            [img=http://img205.imageshack.us/img205/2364/8026700123940loij9.th.jpg]

"God damn America" --Muammar al-Gaddafi

Comment

Originally posted by NSLightsOut
                              I disagree with JKDChick, I believe that the ownage doesn't stop. The skill level it takes to smack you down increases, but it's always nonetheless there.
                              Eventually, you can cut down the ownage to just the higher belts, and new white belts show up for you to own in turn.
                              Monkey Ninjas! Attack!

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X